DHS Warns About Weaponized Drones - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 10:58 AM
I miss President Reagan
Discussion

DHS Warns About Weaponized Drones

Again, it isn't about what any of you as individuals may or may not do. It's all about what the rule makers, Congress and those who advise them believe is being done and can be done.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/homeland-se...ry?id=51050621
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 11:21 AM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
Why are they rehashing old news?
Hasnít anyone been paying attention?
The popular use of motor vehicles as terror weapons is much more effective.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:51 PM
If they are weaponized, are they covered by the second amendment?
Nov 10, 2017, 08:05 PM
Gene Simmons for President
2A says "bear arms" not "bear armed drones"
Nov 10, 2017, 10:18 PM
It says to keep and bear arms, it doesn't stipulate that you have to carry them
Nov 11, 2017, 07:43 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Why are they rehashing old news?
Hasnít anyone been paying attention?
The popular use of motor vehicles as terror weapons is much more effective.
Just because you have one effective weapon doesn't mean you sit on your thumbs and use nothing else. You actively look for other means of bringing terror to the targets. Or means that perhaps apply to different circumstances better than the family car. Or may even enhance the use of the family car. In short, you keep looking for the next advantage. The next level.

Today is Veterans day. The Eleventh hour of the Eleventh day of the Eleventh month. The War to end all wars.
Somehow that didn't work quite as intended did it?
Nov 11, 2017, 07:45 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benaresq
It says to keep and bear arms, it doesn't stipulate that you have to carry them
Get a copy of the Federalists Papers and read them. Clears up much.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:05 AM
They will use whatever means they can, and that are effective. If it's a means that people aren't actively looking for, that increases the chances of success.

I suspect quads haven't been used to date because their payload capacity is relatively small (preventing the big splash needed to create terror), the ones with some payload capacity aren't especially fast and are expensive (making it easier to spot and stop them and harder to acquire them in the first place), and they require some skill to pilot accurately to a target. While many will fly themselves, one would have to program in the right flight plan to get it to the right spot at an opportune time. That said, people are creative (including the bad guys) and if they can come up with something that they think will work and someone to carry it out they're likely to try it. It really wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're looking at quads in addition to vehicles. To date vehicles have just been easier.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
They will use whatever means they can, and that are effective. If it's a means that people aren't actively looking for, that increases the chances of success.

I suspect quads haven't been used to date because their payload capacity is relatively small (preventing the big splash needed to create terror), the ones with some payload capacity aren't especially fast and are expensive (making it easier to spot and stop them and harder to acquire them in the first place), and they require some skill to pilot accurately to a target. While many will fly themselves, one would have to program in the right flight plan to get it to the right spot at an opportune time. That said, people are creative (including the bad guys) and if they can come up with something that they think will work and someone to carry it out they're likely to try it. It really wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're looking at quads in addition to vehicles. To date vehicles have just been easier.
A whole swarm of them lil buggers could be released carrying all kinds of nasty payloads, like candy....
Nov 11, 2017, 09:57 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:

Actually ISIS has been using quads in the middle east to drop hand grenades and other small explosives.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Actually ISIS has been using quads in the middle east to drop hand grenades and other small explosives.
It's pretty difficult to get a grenade and other small high-power explosives within the US without law enforcement knowing about it.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:10 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
It's pretty difficult to get a grenade and other small high-power explosives within the US without law enforcement knowing about it.
Unless you've actually tried, you have absolutely no idea how hard or easy it may be. I do know explosives in small quantities can be had at most any gun store. Just pick up a box of shotgun shells. You can re-package them or with slight modification, use as is. Possibilities are limited only by ones imagination.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Unless you've actually tried, you have absolutely no idea how hard or easy it may be. I do know explosives in small quantities can be had at most any gun store. Just pick up a box of shotgun shells. You can re-package them or with slight modification, use as is. Possibilities are limited only by ones imagination.
you can make plenty of bad stuff with a trip to the hardware store.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtech
A whole swarm of them lil buggers could be released carrying all kinds of nasty payloads, like candy....
Well so long as you understand none of them would be able to actually take down an airplane.

So at least we don't have that to worry about.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:11 PM
so a drone that weighs 251g is a threat?