FrSky Rx question - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 AM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Discussion

FrSky Rx question

I've been getting some glitches with my T9x radio lately so I am waiting on HobbyKing to send me my new FrSky DJT Tx module and a bunch of FrSky V8r-II, 8 channel Rx's. The new module and Rx's have a range 5 times what the stock 9x will get and the Rx's have dual antennas so I have confidence they will perform better. My question is this: All product photos of the Rx's show two jumpers lying beside the Rx yet there is no mention of what they are used for. I've downloaded the manual and read over the binding procedure but nowhere are jumpers mentioned. Any ideas on what they are for?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 11:18 AM
No bounce, No play.
Are you looking at the right manual? Were you led astray on the documentation? Some FrSky Rx's use jumpers to set binding modes
Nov 10, 2017, 11:26 AM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
I downloaded the manuals directly from the HobbyKing pages for the products. I have the DJT module and the V8 series Rx manuals. All it says is to power on the Tx while holding the bind button. Wait for it to flash. Turn on the Rx while holding the bind button. Wait for it to bind. Turn off the Rx, turn off the Tx. No jumpers mentioned anywhere.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:28 AM
The manuals 2.1 Binding Proceedures refer you to 1.1 Compatibility Chart which says:

"D_Mode (Telemetry) Connect Ch1 & Ch2 signal pins of
V8FR-II/V8R7-II by provided jumper and then connect battery to
V8FR-II/V8R7-II directly (no need to hold the F/S button on V8FR-II/V8R7-II)"

You only need one jumper, I guess the second one is a spare in case you lose one.

From manual on Frsky site: https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/...%20V8R7-II.pdf

Jim
Last edited by Jim Taylor; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add link to manual
Nov 10, 2017, 11:45 AM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
The manuals 2.1 Binding Proceedures refer you to 1.1 Compatibility Chart which says:

"D_Mode (Telemetry) Connect Ch1 & Ch2 signal pins of
V8FR-II/V8R7-II by provided jumper and then connect battery to
V8FR-II/V8R7-II directly (no need to hold the F/S button on V8FR-II/V8R7-II)"

You only need one jumper, I guess the second one is a spare in case you lose one.

From manual on Frsky site: https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/...%20V8R7-II.pdf

Jim
Thanks. As Emily Litella used to say on Saturday Night Live, "Oh, that's completely different. Never mind."

That clears things up. I will be using only the one-way mode so I have to hold the Rx bind button. If the Tx is in two-way mode I would need the jumpers.

It's odd that HobbyKing would not have the correct data provided.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Fei Hu; Nov 10, 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
You're better off binding in Telemetry mode, that way if you get any D series receivers, you don't have to switch modes on the module when switching between airplanes.

The only reason to use non-Telemetry mode is when using a V series module, or V8 receivers with a D series module (rather than the V8-II receivers you have)
Nov 10, 2017, 04:54 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
I really never planned on using telemetry. Too great an expense and too much complexity for info I really don't need. I just wanted better range and reliability than the stock 9x module gave.

Thanks for all the support, everyone.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:40 AM
Is not about using telemetry, but the protocol used between the Tx and Rx.
If binding V8s the old style no telemetry mode, then every time you switch from a D to V8 receiver you must move switch on Tx module, so wear them.
If binding V8s the new style telemetry mode, then no more switches, the telemetry protocol will be used for all receivers, but only D will send back telemetry info, the V8 will listen only.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:19 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
And note there's reasons other than Telemetry to buy D series receivers or the X6R and X8R (which are D8 compatible)

For example, the D4R-II 4ch receiver has long diverse antennas that are significantly more flexible in install than the V8R4-II's single short antenna. The D4R-II and D8R-XP also support PPM out for a FC or stabilizer.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:59 PM
Sincerely, I no more see any reason to buy a V8 since this compatible receiver has been issued:
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-8CH-D8...p-1140478.html
You need to solder servo pins for classic RC usage, but even so it's more flexible than an equivalent V8. And incredible small... even smaller than the price
Nov 11, 2017, 05:00 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Sincerely, I no more see any reason to buy a V8 since this compatible receiver has been issued:
You need to solder servo pins for classic RC usage, but even so it's more flexible than an equivalent V8. And incredible small... even smaller than the price
Well, except for the fact I can actually get support for V8 receivers, especially if purchased from a dealer like Aloft or T9.

Banggood is almost always 'you pays your money, you takes your chances'
Nov 12, 2017, 11:19 AM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
These Rx's offer less range than what I am replacing. No dual antenna diversity and having to add servo pins all add up to no sale for me.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:31 AM
Flown one in LOS with the single antenna, no need for diversity if you don't plan to do 3D at the range limit.
Adding pins a builders job I agree, but make the installation much more flexible than a classic receiver, or you could think in certain scenarios.
Just imagine that you can embed this nail sized receiver in a 8 mm thick wing