First Scale Model - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 10:40 AM
Discussion

First Scale Model

Its been about 20 years since I built a flying balsa model.
At that time I built such planes as the Ugly Stick i.c. and Gentle Lady type planes.
I think that I was a fair builder, but I found non scale subjects boring.
Back to the hobby again, I've built a couple of DTF planes at 42" and 46"
My criteria for advancing in this hobby and graduating to balsa, was the successful flights of my 46"model.
Happily, my flights have been turning out pretty good. Sloppy aerobatics, but I'm getting there.
After about a weeks research I've come up with three airplanes I really would like to build.
The Eastbourne Monoplane, the Fokker E3, and the Bristol M1. All designed by Peter Rake.
My criteria for choosing my next airplane was:
Scale, over 46" wingspan, ease of build, good flight and landing ability, and a build article here on RC Groups.
I understand that the above is dependent on the skills of the flyer/builder.
What I'm looking for is any information that would help me in my final choice.
Anything that would point strongly to one model over the other, either in building or flying.
Any help and guidance in my options would certainly be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 12:26 PM
All your choice suggestions would make for lovely models. No issues there.
Although note that (imo) ww1 models often prove a wee bit more complex builds than first assumed
I might suggest .. you also consider the lowly Piper J3 cub (lotsa plans on outerzone.. find one.. print it out at your desired scale).
I built one a couple years back , wanting a simple relaxing build, also never built previously built one .
It's proven a wonderful toy, unexpectedly, it became one of my favourite models TBH.
Being the quintessential trainer design; Flight can be slow and relaxing/ easy or even mildly aerobatic.. when pushed.
It's a simple / relaxing build and when built Scale with all of it's happily few details, it's a V Pretty model.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:20 PM
Thanks very much for checking in Bare.
I know that yours is good advice.
However, the type really doesn't speak to me at this time.
Perhaps I built too many of them in my youth.
However, a golden age transport, as appears in the film Only Angels Have Wings could probably work.
Unfortunately I seem to be in the grasp of a "wind in the wires" syndrome.
I will be watching Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines, for the umpteenth time this evening.
Maybe that will flush it out of my system.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:38 PM
You've picked three very early monoplanes, so only one wing rather than 2. That's easier.

- The Fokker's one of my most favorite planes; but that landing gear is a bit complicated.
- The M1 has a very similar look to the Fokker, but with really easy landing gear. I also like the more rounded fuselage and the look of the wings
- The Eastbourne has a funny looking fuse; if you are wanting something unusual, this would be it!

My money would be on the Bristol M1. Myself, I have a Dornier DO-H/Wright WP1 waiting for colder weather to come in.. It's very different as it has no flying wires, but still only one wing

Regards
Nov 10, 2017, 04:24 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Scratch,

I can vouch for the Bristol M1 as being a well mannered, easy to fly, gentle airplane. I built Peter Rakes example last year and still fly it regularly.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ter-Rake-Plans

A few comments though,

1- it needs functional wing rigging, I believe the wings would fold without this.
2- Needs proper use of coordinated rudder and aileron to fly well.
(The same would be true of all the models you have chosen, as well as Piper Cubs and the like).

If you choose this one, I think you would be well pleased.

Cheers,
Shane.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:54 PM
Hi Grup.
My last two builds were high wing monoplanes. So now, I'm looking for something a bit different and to to renew my balsa building skills.
My first criteria was a good flyer. This to compensate for my less than expert skills.
Fortunately, I have been improving.
From threads on this forum, The Eastbourne seems to be the best reported flyer of the three.
The Bristol also has been reported well.
The Fokker, which I have plans for- seems that people have had some problems with. Mostly in landing.
Your Dornier looks like an interesting subject.
I wish you good fortune with the airplane.
Many thanks for your thoughts on my choices.
Hi Shane.
Glad you checked in.
Thanks for the link which I saved to my favs.
I read through most of the threads for the Eastbourne and the Fokker, but hadn't gotten to the Bristol yet.
I like the fact that it has functional ailerons.
Thank you for your advice.
I'm looking forward to reading through your build thread.
Cheers!
Nov 10, 2017, 08:05 PM
I would say that all three will fly well.

Me? I would vote for the Bristol. Why? I love the round fuselage construction that Pete came up with. It makes building the model much easier and faster than a stick fuse (I really do not like cutting sticks for a fuselage).

Rigging, IMHO, is needed on all three just to make them look right. So, the M1C needing functional rigging would not bother me. It is fairly simple to do at this scale.

charlie
Nov 11, 2017, 09:23 AM
Hello Charlie.
Nice of you to look in.
I've enjoyed many of your posts.
For me, cutting ribs has always been a chore.
I'm about half way through Shane's build thread and also like the way Peter has designed the fuselage.
Also like Shane's take on the landing gear. Looks like what the full scale aircraft might have used.
Shane, if your about, please let us know how the landing gear worked out.
What did you use for the shock cord? Can I steal this idea.
Thanks guys.
Scratch...
Nov 11, 2017, 10:45 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch99
Hello Charlie.
Nice of you to look in.
I've enjoyed many of your posts.
For me, cutting ribs has always been a chore.
I'm about half way through Shane's build thread and also like the way Peter has designed the fuselage.
Also like Shane's take on the landing gear. Looks like what the full scale aircraft might have used.
Shane, if your about, please let us know how the landing gear worked out.
What did you use for the shock cord? Can I steal this idea.
Thanks guys.
Scratch...
Might I suggest starting with a Proctor Mini Antic. Construction wise it makes a good WWI type trainer requiring cross bracing, under camber wing, flying and control wires, etc. Flying wise it does well too. I've used mine for training and the good thing about it is, it is not scale but looks close enough to be satisfying. But without the stress of flying a scale model. The others are all good choices a well I'm just thinking do your mistakes and learning with the Antic and end up making an even better scale model on the next one.

For shock cord you can get small diameter bungee at the local sewing store or crafts store. Search for elastic. Here's a link of what I mean that I grabbed off the Michael's web site. It comes in various sizes/diameters.

https://www.michaels.com/white-round.../D009641S.html
Nov 11, 2017, 04:51 PM
Thanks very much for your advice KMK001, and also for the link.
I don't have a Michaels nearby in this rural area, but there is HOBBY LOBBY.
I may be able to get something similar.
Thanks for the Mini Antic suggestion. I was not aware that this plane was available for electric power.
Still I would rather hold out for a subject modeled after a full scale airplane.
Ray, That's a great model. Captures the spirit of the real one.
Hope to someday build as well.
Cheers!
Scratch...
Nov 11, 2017, 05:23 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Scratch.

For the undercarriage bungee I used regular hat elastic. It is wound over the axle and under each spreader bar then tied in a knot at the bottom. Don't wrap too tightly or it will effectively be rigid, with no springing. In practice it seems to work well.

The Proctor Mini Antic looks like a nice model, but I think you should build what you want. The Bristol is fairly easy to build.

My model hangs from the roof in my Garage. I just walked in there and took a photo of the bungees for you. I am happy to answer any questions you have. You might also like to look through Pat Lynch's build log on the same model.

Cheers,
Shane.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:14 PM
This is the stuff I use for bungee. It comes in various colors and sizes. Has survived on the SPAD for about 5 years now. Elastic sewing material is cotton and rubber that degrades in sunlight.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jew...Cord/p/HL85302
Nov 12, 2017, 09:30 AM
Many thanks for your support, Shane.
If I build what I want, There's a better chance that it will be finished.
Also, I have the best support in the world right here.
Thanks too for the picture. Clears up any questions I might have about how it goes together.
I will read through Pat Lynche's thread on the Bristol.
I've enjoyed his other threads on the models discussed.
Thanks Charlie.
That's great. I'll be able to pick that up when I'm shopping there for my rigging.
Decision time this week.
Feeling strongly about the Bristol.
By that time I would have read through Shane and Pat's threads.
In the mean time I will be upgrading my model room.
Really could use better lighting.
Cheers!
Nov 13, 2017, 08:44 AM

Additional Balsa & Stuff

For the Bristol M-1:
Is there a list available of the additional wood and bits not supplied by the Manzano Lazer Works.
My stock is seriously inadequate for this build. Will probably order additional spar and stringer material to start building up a small inventory.
Unfortunately This is one of the Flying Scale Models magazines that I don't have for the article and plan.
Any info is appreciated.
Thank you.