What Plane Started Your Hobby? - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 07:57 PM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Sig Ninja slope glider. Bluff Park, Long Beach, Ca. Chucked it and had a veteran trim it out for me. Nonstop ever since...............
Yes!!!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 08:08 PM
Aerobird Xtreme, really bad choice for a first plane
Nov 10, 2017, 08:08 PM
serial scratchbuilder
I don't recall the first, but it was Peanut-scale FF models, lots of them. Loved building those things, allowed me to escape the reality of being a red-headed step-child.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:19 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I think it all started with a Hobby Zone Super Cub, followed by a FunCub, followed by a T28, followed by countless others. RC flying rapidly became my addiction. My wife always knows where I am (ie, behind the house at the flying field) and is happy to see how happy RC flying makes me feel.

Tom
Nov 10, 2017, 08:25 PM
Mach 1
My dad was flying in the late fifties on up into the early 2000's, before his eyesight started giving him trouble. I had always gone to the field with him at an early age. But it wasn't until the late sixties that I got interested in actually flying an r/c airplane.. My dad had a pattern airplane called "The Pathfinder" . It was the first r/c airplane I ever took off and landed . And I have been at it ever since then..I have built several vintage pattern planes over the years and enjoyed every one of them..I plan to fly r/c airplanes until my eyesight or something else gives up.. that 's not my dad in the photo it's the designer of the Pathfinder..Dan Deluca
Nov 10, 2017, 08:34 PM
At the risk of severely dating myself... It was a Wen-Mac Aquamite .049 powered boat that I received for Xmas in 1959. That was a flop, so I removed the engine , built a Berkeley Bulp Pup(from America's Hobby Center aka "AHC"- the Tower Hobbies of it's day) and mounted it on that aircraft in 1961. That I never attempted to fly because even as a fifth grader at the time, I deduced that it wouldn't fly.
My first flying model was a McCoy 35 powered Ringmaster circa 1964. From that point on, dozens of u-control combat and stunt ships ; some kits, some from plans, a few my own designs. Then 4 or 5 R/C aircraft with my solder- it- yourself Heathkit Radio system(1973)
A lapse of 20 years, return for the sake of my sons, but I was the one who got hooked. Scratch-Built and flew R/C Pattern and IMAC aircraft, some competition.
In 2010, returned to U- control electric and glow stunt ships. Just putting finishing touches on a scratch built, electric twin motor with retracts(yes, u-control). For the 2018 season, decided to slack off with R/C building and "assemble" a Tower Kaos 60 ARF with electric to hack around with when not practicing the ukie stunt pattern.

I lament the fact that so few today build their own aircraft. All the "builders" I knew from back in the day(and we all built) who are alive yet are still in the hobby, some after 70 plus years.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:31 PM
My dad and my uncle had control line stuff way before I was born so my first plane was a Cox PT19 trainer circa 1970 or so. My first rc plane was an ace wizard though. It was hanging from the ceiling in a local hobby shop I still have it in the attic. The wing is intact but the fuselage is all busted up. I should build a new fuselage and make it electric powered.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:37 PM
fix-n-fly
Cox PT-19 (Control Line) around 1969. Several control line (couldn't afford RC) through teens. Finally at age 24 - the first RC - a Sig Kougar that ended up in a garbage bag despite the fact that I had a guy that knew how to fly RC beside me. Some folks have to learn the hard way but after that I had enough sense to get a trainer (GP PT-40).
Nov 11, 2017, 12:06 AM
Goes to eleven!
Aerobird Extreme for me too!

Had a great first flight (lucky)

Perfectly landed and it rolled to about 4 feet away from me at a big soccer park.

Thought - this is going to be so easy!

Ha! - I was wrong about that!

Still have it-

Joe
Nov 11, 2017, 12:12 AM
Hobbyzone Duet 3 years ago, flew the snot out of it and build a red cedar and toothpick Henkel 111 covered in gladwrap that weighed 70g RTF... only 30g over weight, 'corse it will fly!
Nov 11, 2017, 12:35 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
This was the first RC video I ever saw...
rc airplane (6 min 32 sec)

I immediately went out and bought a Parkzone Decathalon, before foam when they were still plastic and brushed on nicads...
Nov 11, 2017, 12:54 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Hobbico Duraplane!
Hobbico Sturdy Birdy II for me!

While technically it was my first plane, it was the 3rd one I flew.

First plane I flew was a Goldberg Electra. 2nd was a 60-size Ugly Stick built from original plans. THEN the guy teaching me to fly let me fly MY plane.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:58 AM
I remember my interest kindled in late 70's. My brother had an old Hobby Shack foam Cessna that he was never able to build or fly properly, I saw its remnants in the garage and use to dream. My parents would take us to the Hobby Man store in the Brea Mall, Cali. I remember being mesmerized by the planes hung from the ceilings.
I spent many weekends with my Dad at the local high school flying the old Bentom free flight foam planes.
My first intro to rc was early 80's . Cox ultralight that I built but could not fly. Then the Cox EZ bee (rudder only) which was fantastic and the get is history.
Fast forward 30+ years, I flown sport, scale, 30% gas, helos, nitro, electric,quads,fpv....and still going. Just a fantastic time for this hobby.
Nov 11, 2017, 02:03 AM
Royal 40t. In a huge field--kept flying away and further away...crashed in the woods and sheared the wings off. Went looking for it and found it by stepping on the wing! Love that balsa crunch sound.

Went through 2 more balsa trainers. No instructor. No sim. Highly recommend against this approach.

Then a Duraplane. Flew that a ton and then a Durabat or Aerobat. Great times.

Now I teach my kids on a StepOne Trainer. Simple.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:24 AM
Suspended Account
This her- My first RC Plane-A Great Planes Avistar which I got when I was 12. I am 13 now.

It was made and gifted to me by my best friend (she is 13 now).