What Plane Started Your Hobby? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 02:23 PM
RCM Basic Trainer w/ Veco .19 (1972).
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 02:35 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
It was 1979. Goldberg Falcon 56 with a tower hobbies white case 6 channel radio (made by kraft) that came with 3 servos. i was 12. It was built as a 3-channel plane, and had a plain bearing, non- schneurle OS25 . Three months of my parents taking me to the flying field for an hour each weekend,.. and I finally solo'ed. yes I was a very slow learner, but only flew 2 or 3 flights a weekend. A year later My dad had to bring the chainsaw to the field to get it out of a tree. Fixed, recovered, and an enya 35 was installed. Got a lot of flying out of that falcon.
Latest blog entry: blog
Nov 10, 2017, 02:40 PM
Pro Hoarder
First kit build..Guillow Bird Dog
First RC Q-Tee
Nov 10, 2017, 02:43 PM
the 1st plane I assembled was a thermic trooper free flight with the help of my father , a gentle toss on a grassy hill somewhere in pa many moons ago and I was hooked
Nov 10, 2017, 03:01 PM
Culper Junior
The Space Terror by Enterprise. Just like the Towline Terror but with a cut off nose for a firewall, and the addition of a landing gear.
Mine had a K&B Infant. Still have the pieces somewhere.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:37 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby

Some time in the early 1950s

It would be difficult to pinpoint when it actually began.
Some of the early hand-launch gliders we could get at the corner store for a dime, probably.

My favorite was the Hi-Flyer in the picture. It had a plastic joiner to hold the wing in place. I would cut the wing root at a steeper angle so it was swept back even more. Then the plane would go in a straight line for over a city block at each toss.
I also would attach a Jetex 50 engine to it and it would go forever.

My older brother started a free-flight of his own design. I finished it and flew it when I was about ten years old. Since I didn't know anything about model aviation it flew poorly but it was good enough to fly away and never be seen again.

First RC plane was something I bought from a friend who bought it from somebody etc. I don't know what it was other than a single channel, rubber band escapement thing.
Last edited by Rhea; Nov 10, 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:41 PM
FPV EVERYTHING!
The Hobbyzone Champ is the airplane that started it all for me. I stocked up on extra batteries and flew it for a couple of hours everyday until one day the wings taco'd in mid-flight and it hit the street bursting into a million pieces of foam. I will never forget that airplane because it got me hooked on flying and now I own more airplanes than I have the storage space for.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:49 PM
Paper plane.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball
Paper plane.
A RC paper plane ?
Post the details on that.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:59 PM
Original Parkzone FW190 Electric

I flew Nitro planes as a kid but at 15 I stopped. Then when I saw this at a hobby store as an adult I made the jump into Electric flight. Surprisingly I remembered how to fly RC and after an exciting maiden I was able to keep the thing in one piece. Been flying E-RC since but recently decided to try Gas with a couple 30cc planes on the table right now.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:11 PM
My first plane was a Hobbyking Reaktor 3d. Id done lots of practice on the simulator and was about to buy a bonsai when i got the reaktor for my birthday. Few days after i got the bonsai as well
Nov 10, 2017, 04:58 PM
In my 40s I had the money and time to take up the dream of my childhood: RC flying.
Because I didn't know any better I taught myself to fly with a Zagi flying wing. In hindsight it was much too fast, much too agile to be a beginner airplane. On the other hand you could nose dive a Zagi on full power into the ground, pick it up, brush it off, and try again. Prefect for a beginner.
https://zagi.com/
Nov 10, 2017, 05:00 PM
A baby fireball with a clapped out OK Cub .049 on 25' control lines in North Tonawanda NY, probably about 1961? Never flew for crap but it didn't matter, the hook was firmly set, all the guy in the hobby shop (remember those?) had to do was reel me in... D.H.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:33 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Sig Ninja slope glider. Bluff Park, Long Beach, Ca. Chucked it and had a veteran trim it out for me. Nonstop ever since...............
Nov 10, 2017, 07:30 PM
Dmeco Live Wire Champion with a K&B .15 and a Citizenship hard tube receiver built from a kit along with the transmitter. It used a Babcock escapement for the rudder.