What Plane Started Your Hobby? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 12:16 PM
GWS Tigermoth - built it, crashed it over and over, fixed it. Got a ton of mileage out of that plane.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 12:23 PM
Learjets
Goldberg Electra for me
Nov 10, 2017, 12:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
It was 1971 and I was an Air Force Staff Sergeant stationed at Nellis AFB, NV. I was really interested in RC and had messed around with a couple of planes trying to get something going (Sterling P-51 and a Guillows C-172) but it just wasn't working. Then I met a group of guys flying on a small dry lake bed in N Las Vegas. I received the necessary encouragement and bought a MRC 5 Channel radio (rebranded Futaba that Model Rectifier Corporation (MRC) was importing at the time) and a Goldberg Falcon 56. The radio has set me back a small forture; about $350 at a time when that was the better part of a month's salary for a young E-5.

Money being scarce, I bought an ENYA .15 and mounted it on the Falcon 56. Needless to say, it was way under-powered. It would take off and climb slowly straight away. When I tried to turn, it would stall but back to straight flight and a shallow dive and it would be back to flying again until I tried to turn again. Anyway, I managed to get it down in one piece. I removed the ENYA .15 and took it to the LHS and traded it for an ENYA .19. The .19 was just what I needed. Enough power to fly but not overpowered or too fast. For the next year, I literally flew the wings off of that airplane. The last flight saw the stabilizer separate from the fuse and the plane flew THROUGH a tree removing/destroying the wings. I was home on leave at the time preparing to leave for Viet Nam so everything salvageable was boxed up and stored away.

Later I was transferred from Saigon to Ubon Thailand and my wife mailed by radio gear to me. There was an RC club there and I continued to fly and improve my skills. I have been flying RC on an on/off basis ever since.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:50 PM
my Dads Pilot OK models Pitts special...I used to use my dads balsa off cuts as a kid and build my own "creations" and learned how give yourself proper cuts with hobby knives I must have been 8 or 9 years old. then one day dad bought me home a bob weston mfa yamamoto trainer he got for a few qud from a car boot sale, he helped me build it and gave me an old os.40.... which I still have but its completely dead now. I also built a precedent electra glide, I used 27mhz two channel (bright idea I know but I was young and keen with no money) and it spun in from about 200ft first flighti I gues it was interference
Nov 10, 2017, 12:53 PM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
For me it was a 42" scratchbuilt plane from RC Groups after I saw Ed's tutorial on Foamboard scratchbuild university. I remember I had zero understanding of what I was doing, simply following what I saw in the video. My orientation wasn't too bad because I had flown a couple of coaxials and easy fixed pith helicopters. What I remember the most is the proudness I felt seeing my own scratchbuilt plane fly and that it was seriously nose heavy !
Nov 10, 2017, 01:00 PM
Some high launch glider from hobbyshack, when hobbyshack and circus circus where the only competors of towers for mailorder of rc planes... back when they did COD orders... I started on the hi launch glider then moved onto a tower trainer...
Nov 10, 2017, 01:01 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Self-taught in 2010, it was a Slow Stick with control inputs inadvertently reversed. May it rest in peace.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:25 PM
Cox PT-19 & a Veco Scout
Into RC with a Sterling Minnie Mambo and Livewire Trainer
Nov 10, 2017, 01:26 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Good ole US Aircore 40!

It was my only plane for many years as I went thru college, until I bought a Stryker and then later bought a house where I finally had room to build & store stuff! Wish I had kept a flight log, i'm sure it was over 1000. It even had a midair with a cub and kept flying! Chopped off the cubs wing and only put a small slit in my wing.

I tried using the PowerCore into the biplane model, but it wasnt slide-out & slide-in as advertised. Biplane never got off the ground, kept ground looping and stalling.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Nov 10, 2017, 01:35 PM
AeroDan
Probably the Cox Centurion. Never owned one, but after seeing one in action, I knew I had to get used to mowing lawns and other irritating chores to save, save, save. First model I learned on was the Parkzone Decathlon (2004/5). Underpowered, & no tailwheel.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:42 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Hobbico Sturdy Birdy. Crashed it everyday when I first started. Just had to buy some pvc gutter piping and make new fuselages every time.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:43 PM
The Sterling Supermarine Spitfire kit was my first RC model that I built back in 1970 when I was a sophomore in high school. Was it a lesson of what NOT to do in RC modeling and flying! Oh it was a great kit and aircraft, but way too much to swallow for a tenderfoot with bigger eyes than skill. My Dad was very helpful and encouraging towards my involvement in the hobby by gifting me with a Heath Kit GD-19 TX, RX and Servos that we built together. My next plane was the Sterling Royal Coachman which I still have hanging from my hobby room ceiling re-engined with an OS 25. Still flys great! The Royal Coachman was a Christmas gift from 1971.
Last edited by FriendlyFlyer; Nov 10, 2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added missing word.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:52 PM
killickb
Wish that I could remember! First R/C was a single channel "Bazz Bomb" in the 50's --- still have it but the Conquest escapement is a bit rusty. First flying model was a rubber powered KK Gypsy. First "model airplane" was likely a Dinky Toy DC-3.
Anyone remember the Meccano Airplane assembly kits. All metal parts to build scale type airplanes, had cast radial engines, moveable control surfaces, pilots, bombs, biplane parts etc. Had mine in the late 40's and sure wish I still had that set !
Nov 10, 2017, 02:09 PM
Thelongranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Hobbico Duraplane!
I had one of these. But it was called a sturdy birdie
Nov 10, 2017, 02:23 PM
Can't say it was the first, but it was certainly early for me. I was still flying CL and FF while Dad was doing RC. This was his third or fourth RC model at the time.

I built one 30 years later. Here's the maiden flight:

Clough Flying Saucer Maiden Flight (4 min 31 sec)

Andy