Suggestion for 2-4S Lipo charger? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2017, 09:07 AM
Discussion

Suggestion for 2-4S Lipo charger?

Any idea to get a 2-4S Lipo charger within $17.00 US dollars?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 10:22 AM
thats a very precise budget! not 16, not 18, 17!!! lol

At that price point, you are going to get a charger you will want to change within a month or two. Literally. I'd cave in and buy something a little bit more complete, because at 17$, you'll probably get something like this:

https://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-E430-...r_warehouse=CN
(24 CAD$, must be in the neiborhood of your 17 US$, can'T be bothered to switch location)

It's not the same brand, but it looks exactly like the first charger I had, pretty sure one is a rip off of the other.

This can't discharge, the settings are way too minimal... You can only set it to 1A, 2A or 3A, no possibility of checking the battery (to get the voltage, the internal resistance, etc.). This can't put batteries in storage either. So say goodbye to your lipos lives as you can't maintain them at a specific storage charge for when you're not going to use them for a while, etc.

I don't see that as a really nice option honestly... You don'T have to go complete baloney on a 300$ charger, but do yourself favor and get at least something like a imax B6 (mini or full size)(not saying it's necessarily the best bang for your buck, but I'd say it's decent for the price. Maube other people have even better recommendations around the same price as the imax B?). Just be carefull to either get one that has it'S own power supply, or make sure you get a compatible PS. A lot of charges don't have a power supply built in, and won't come with an external one either.
Last edited by Matt86; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:35 PM
You should budget more than that or you will end up with a very poor charger.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:18 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Does the iMAX B6 suit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iMAX-B6-L...4383.l4275.c10

But you will still need to buy a 100w power supply though.
Something like this for 14 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Switchin...-/131589933014
Nov 10, 2017, 03:53 PM
Those are probably clones. Stay away from clones of this charger.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:52 AM
do you have requirements for the power or else? if not, the first recommendation skyrc e430 could be perfect choice for you
Nov 11, 2017, 01:52 PM
as all people are saying you need a bigger budget or you will end up some thing that is not really good for what you want to do.
I know all could suggest a charger and power supply for under a 100.00 and that would do you a lot better then the 17.00 budget

QUOTE=hobbyreayd;38609057]Any idea to get a 2-4S Lipo charger within $17.00 US dollars?[/QUOTE]
Nov 13, 2017, 02:16 AM
Uzi
Uzi
Legends never die
If you may choose a SkyRC charger, my recommendation will also be e430 (Space saving and cost efficient).
Nov 13, 2017, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi
If you may choose a SkyRC charger, my recommendation will also be e430 (Space saving and cost efficient).
Not sure I'd really recommend it. If he HAS to sticks with the 20$ budget, then yeah, but I wouldn't recommend it. here is why:

You cannot put batteries in storage.

All it can do is to balance charge the batteries. It's bad for the batteries to keep them charged. So you will want to be using your batteries ALL the time if you can't put them in storage. You'll want to use up and recharge your batteries a few times a week. Can't take breaks.

So you'll have a charger thats under par, but that you will HAVE to use a lot. Compare this with a charger thats worth maybe 50$... intelligent charger, can put the batteries in storage, so you can let them sit for months... You'll be able to charge multiple batteries at once(with a parallel board but at least those are usually able to go to more than 3 amps total... 3 amps is very short for parallel charging, unless you use very small batteries... ), discharge, etc.

The 20$ chargers, I see more as a second charger or a backup charger. Let's say you want to charge more batteries at the same time, these cheap chargers might be good to charge one or two batteries in parallel, while your main charger is also chooching. I sometimes use my e430 to charge a second battery while my imax B6 is charging one. I would NOT use the e430 as my main charger though.
Last edited by Matt86; Nov 13, 2017 at 08:41 AM.