Great Planes Fokker DR1 - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 08:59 AM
Discussion

Great Planes Fokker DR1

Has anybody looked on Ebay lately and have seen what money the Great Planes 60 size Fokker DR1 is bringing? There are two of them listed right now and over the last two days, the bids have soared to over $1500. Are they really this great of an ARF? Great Planes and Hangar 9 have lost so much business due to not making these great ARFs any longer. I have spent months looking for some of their older models and had a chance to buy one of the Dr1's for 600 dollars and did not do it thinking it was to much to spend on a 60 size ARF. All I can say is WOW, these planes have really sky rocketed in value. I guess the reason I don't spend that amount of money is that I hope they will remake some of these older models one day and would actually be even better. Whats your thoughts, do you think Great Planes or Hangar 9 will get back to making the beautiful ARFs they once made and are there older ones really worth the money they are bringing?

I guess its all about supply and demand.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 04:43 AM

DR1 value

They're certainly nice as a toy airplane, and for original list price $100 a bit pricey but acceptable. It's only 28" wingspan.

I use an axi brushless instead of the rimfire. I cut the existing motor mount out and replaced it with a 1/8" ply firewall and mounted axi directly to the firewall. This was intended to address reported problems with the weakly constructed motor box with stronger solution. This arrangement has worked out quite well. The axle is a very weak metal, and the plastic wheels will break. The plastic cowling is easily damaged.

One auction shows a single bidder raising their offer from 430 to 1500 in a series of 20, uncontested bids over the span of seven minutes. I interpret that as being either deliberate manipulation of the bidding, or the result of some automatic bidding process that is kind of uncontrolled!
Nov 11, 2017, 05:20 AM

correction

Whoops sorry GP makes two DR1 the .60 size and the other smaller 28" wingspan! Previous comment w/regard to smaller sized model.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:14 PM
electric fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotherb
Has anybody looked on Ebay lately and have seen what money the Great Planes 60 size Fokker DR1 is bringing? There are two of them listed right now and over the last two days, the bids have soared to over $1500. Are they really this great of an ARF? Great Planes and Hangar 9 have lost so much business due to not making these great ARFs any longer. I have spent months looking for some of their older models and had a chance to buy one of the Dr1's for 600 dollars and did not do it thinking it was to much to spend on a 60 size ARF. All I can say is WOW, these planes have really sky rocketed in value. I guess the reason I don't spend that amount of money is that I hope they will remake some of these older models one day and would actually be even better. Whats your thoughts, do you think Great Planes or Hangar 9 will get back to making the beautiful ARFs they once made and are there older ones really worth the money they are bringing?

I guess its all about supply and demand.
I have this DR1 now, it's an outstanding flyer!!
The WW1 guys at the field can't believe how well it tracks down the runway, handling and landing abilities.
Last edited by killerstick; Nov 13, 2017 at 08:23 AM.