Rut-roh ! - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by epoxyearl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:23 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Discussion

Rut-roh !

It seems that the AMA relishes the fact that Mr Turner's win against the FAA has been overturned, and the registration of all powered model aircraft and drones will continue, or be required.
For the Law abiding flyers.

The Drone pilots that caused all this concern will continue to fly unlicensed Uav's, and will continue to thumb their noses at any authority trying to govern their activities.

Apparently, the AMA is as ineffectual at controlling Congress as Mr. Turner is...But Mr.Turner had great results for a while...
.AMA, not so much.

AMA will put a great 'spin' on this, as to how we should join the Righteous fight, but guys, it's a lost cause...Tell the AMA to spend your membership money (from now on described as 'their' money) on flying sites, instead of fighting an unwinnable war on the FAA..

If the AMA had distanced them selves from anything that didn't look like a model airplane, years ago, this may not be the subject of our discussion.
If you hold a drone and a model airplane in front of a standard citizen, they will recognize two separate items. The AMA only 'sees' one...
If they are THAT blind, there is no hope...
How many plans are available for a scratch built drone ? Are you 'hearing' me yet ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 08:33 AM
Culper Junior
Three thumbs up on that observation, Earl.

Thanks!
Nov 10, 2017, 09:15 AM
resU deretsigeR
Have not supported the ama since the drone regs. A shame to, belonged for 2 decades.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:41 AM
That thing almost hit me
Yes, the AMA should have defined and separated fixed wing from multi....That said, there are plenty of scratch built multis.
Latest blog entry: Talon Update
Nov 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Did you know the AMA Magazine Subscription is $36 ? -or that they delivered 121,000 plus last month ? -to over 180,000 members ?
I thought everyone had to be supplied the Magazine, if they are a member , because it's a 'newsletter ?

Someone needs to audit those figures, but not me...I'm just going to continue to ask questions....
Nov 10, 2017, 11:22 AM
That thing almost hit me
Park Pilot members do not receive Model Aviation news. They receive the quarterly Park Pilot publication.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:38 AM
resU deretsigeR
The question that needs asked...how is it we go to bed not being a criminal, and the very next day, doing nothing different, we wake up as criminals damn near. Thats ashame. And yes, i put the blame squarely on the ama....they said they were my voice.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:38 PM
Onward and upward.
Well, it looks like it's back to Free Flight models, again. Until they outlaw them too. Paper airplanes?
Nov 10, 2017, 03:51 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
We don't need to quit flying R/C.
Register , or re-up with the FAA and follow their rules.. I have a Farmer who allows me to fly over the 'back forty', and he enjoys watching from his house.

This will eventually sort itself out, guys. There will be a new Community Based Organization in time, and the money mongers will be shaking their heads in wonder of what happened to them...

All year long, I've been watching the 'Coming Events' In Model Aviation, and for the last five years, they've been constantly dwindling.. There are fewer people flying 'legally' at certified fields, and guys are just congregating 4 or 5 at a time in various unsanctioned fields.

Some friends of mine have begun flying on an active grass-roots Full size Airport.. They use the active paved runway and a hand held ground based radio. They actually become part of the Traffic at the Airport, and everyone is happy. -and they don't have to notify the facility of 'nearby model traffic' .
Nov 10, 2017, 04:33 PM
resU deretsigeR
One of my favorite places to fly is 39PN. Great full size air field. We have no issue with the full size, we give right away....and no issues. No ama requirements, no club, just a cool place to fly.

Oh ya, its nelson airport if you dont want to google it....lol
Nov 10, 2017, 09:43 PM
Culper Junior
Actually since the biggest issue with the AMA is it's insurance ( which you 'need' to fly at an AMA club) we just need an underwriter for a national policy and we're all insured! But then the AMA would sue like they did the Sport Flyers Association. Except now it's 30 years later and things have changed. Who knows...
Nov 10, 2017, 10:08 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
All year long, I've been watching the 'Coming Events' In Model Aviation, and for the last five years, they've been constantly dwindling.. There are fewer people flying 'legally' at certified fields, and guys are just congregating 4 or 5 at a time in various unsanctioned fields.

Fields are not sanctioned by the AMA they are chartered....
Nov 11, 2017, 06:45 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Fields are not sanctioned by the AMA they are chartered....
THAT'S what you took away from my statement ? I appreciate the correction,- but did you get my point ?
People are moving away from the AMA in droves, to start their own little get togethers away from AMA's madding crowd..AMA's rhetoric is becoming like mist- it's there, but it doesn't mean a lot.

I'm exposed to dozens of Clubs, and the main reason people join the AMA is because they have nothing else to choose from.

In their haste to increase the money flow, AMA has endorsed the very people who caused FAA to notice their unsafe flight...Now, AMA is bound to defend those people's 'right to fly'...In my opinion , AMA's intent was misguided.

All will be forgotten, as AMA attempts to Spin the fact that 'someone else' caused this problem...You know- The problem they've been dealing with for the past 10? years....

Anyone taking odds that the AMA will once again voice the opinion that THEY should dispense the registration numbers ? And that they should coincide with numbers assigned by the AMA ?
That would certainly enlarge the membership roster, and the cash flow.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:26 PM
Culper Junior
As I mentioned on BalsaBuilders FB I believe the Ama's internal agenda is to finagle their way into being some sort of para-government regulatory organization between the faa and the model flying public. Sort of like telling the faa, 'give us the authority to regulate ALL model (drone) flying and you can concern yourselves with full size only.'

And the change in model definition to be considered all as drones will give an umbrella opportunity.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:28 PM
Culper Junior
In any event, if someone came out with a usable, comparable, insurance coverage policy for clubs the AMA would disappear in three years.