Amazing Oddball Vintage Models 23 39.66%
Pylon Power 7 12.07%
Tailless Designs 12 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 10, 2017, 02:21 AM
B for Bruce
Poll

2018 Build Theme Poll

I'm happy to present the options for the Themes of the upcoming first Vintage Forum Build Event of 2018. Please vote for your ONE top choice. Or up to TWO top choices.

This Build Theme poll will run for 10 days. The Build will officially start at 0001 on Jan 1, 2018 and run to June 30th midnight.

As per usual the model designs can be built as originally intended or adapted to some other method of control. Scaling is permitted also.

To qualify as an "Amazing Oddball" the model must have something REALLY different about the fuselage and wing arrangement or be some wing arrangement other than the usual wing and stabilizer style model. So flying wings, canards, triplanes, Martian Space Ships and other similar oddities are encouraged.

Since this poll is being posted up on the day before Nov 11 I would like to invite you to stop and remember the sacrifices made by soldiers during the Great War and the other Wars and conflicts since and right through to this present day.

If you feel so inclined as to share it might be a nice gesture to write a short line or two about relatives or friends that fought in past wars or that are currently in a conflict area.

Charles Matthews, my Grandfather, fought with the British army. He was one of the British ground troops at Gallipoli. While recovering from a shrapnel wound in one leg he contracted typhoid and was returned to England and was discharged due to the wound's effect and lengthy recovery from the typhoid.

Cecil Matthews, my Father, was trained as a flight engineer for RAF Bomber Command. But he was detached and flew with the RCAF. His log book has listings for two of the big "1000 bomber" raids. He had lots of amusing stories from leave in London and antics on training flights. But seldom talked about conditions during missions.
Last edited by BMatthews; Nov 10, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 07:32 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Got my votes in,chomping at the bit to see what happens.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:47 PM
Culper Junior
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8316

Would this be considered oddball?
Nov 10, 2017, 03:01 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8316

Would this be considered oddball?
I'd say that fits. And unlike the "too ugly for anyone but the designer" idea that the option sprung from it's actually darn CUTE too ! ! ! !
Nov 10, 2017, 03:02 PM
Culper Junior
Well...at least you didn't call it pudgy.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:31 PM
B for Bruce
I'd say it's a bit more "axely"....
Nov 10, 2017, 09:58 PM
Culper Junior
I somehow think it would need a pair of these on it.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:28 PM
Rubber or odd for me...

Bruce, thanks for sharing. My parents were 10 at the end of the war, their families owned greenhouses, they're Dutch, and were considered essential to the war effort by the germans so they were forced to grow food to help supply the German military. My grandparents did what they could to smuggle food to their neighbors plus they were active in helping the Jewish community which was no small feat considering the scrutiny they were under. My parents are 85 this year, I'm blessed to still have my parents in this world. They never spoke of the war until later in life, in fact my mother couldn't remember very much for the longest time. If not for our soldiers the atrocities my parents so painfully recall would have continued on. My parents observe a moments silence for all the fallen with great respect and reverence. They have instilled the same respect and reverence in us. For all the fallen, .... on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we stand in silence.... you will always be remembered.
Last edited by remitt; Nov 11, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
B for Bruce
Remitt, it certainly was not always those in uniform. Courage, bravery and basic human decency comes in all packages.

Hey Aeronca, LUV the googly eyes! And yes, I do believe you're correct on how suitable they would be. I'm sort of hoping for the Amazing Oddball theme to win now. But it looks like rubber models is way out in front. Hold the AOT for next time though. The theme ideas aren't going away!
Nov 11, 2017, 06:05 PM
Culper Junior
Ok! Hemikiller already printed the Hatchet plans at 60" several months ago for me.
Nov 13, 2017, 07:19 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I hope it won't be cheating if I draw the sky master plans before the build starts,i need to work up a wood list.
Nov 13, 2017, 01:38 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1
I hope it won't be cheating if I draw the sky master plans before the build starts,i need to work up a wood list.
It's only cheating if your secret leaks out........ oh, wait.....
Nov 13, 2017, 03:34 PM
I voted for the oddball. Since then I have found a Veron Sentinel kit that I had forgotten about so would be quite happy if rubber won.
Doug
Nov 13, 2017, 03:51 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Would a Go-Getter be odd enough? Or a Tomahawk?
Nov 13, 2017, 04:35 PM
Where's the lift?
I'm pushing for Vintage Gliders.... already got a project picked out for 2018, starting right after New Years!