Fr Sky Taranis X7 - Q 18650 battery holder project... - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 12:16 AM
Mini-HowTo

Fr Sky Taranis X7 - Q 18650 battery holder project...

Hi, I thought I'd share this cool 18650 battery holder project I did and the pictures on how to do it your self...

Here are the link to the person who designed the 18650 battery holder for the Taranis X7 - Q

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2534735

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25...tribution_card

Here is the link to the person who printed it in PLA clear as he also does really cool inexpensive XT30 and XT60 battery caps in TPU

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rbeaubien?_...53.m2749.l2754

Here are the batteries I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So the print came out pretty good and pushed in with a very slight press fit

As the pictures will show I used the stock battery holder that comes with the taranis that holds 6 AA batteries and as the thingyuniverse page suggests you can use the + and - tabs with a little modification, hence cutting, and you have all the parts except you'll need a 2S balance plug

The short wire on one side of the battery holder is about 1.5" long as the wires on the plug side are about 4" long and you should make the red wire a little longer so it curves around the black wire under the battery holder so everything fits fine

I also had to make the positive battery tabs a little pointier so that they'd reach the positive side of the battery better

I show the tool I use to hit the positive battery tabs with and how to make a small hole in a piece of wood to allow the battery tab to extend in the as you hit it with the tool and a hammer. Go a little at a time and not too far as it will poke through and ruin the positive battery tab

The negative just needs to be cut to size

Ultimately if you have a 18650 battery charger this is really cool especially if you already have the fatshark goggles battery holder that also uses 18650 batteries

Thanks for checking out my post and hope this works well for you if you decide to do this project and thanks again to the designer and the printer that helped me make this possible

Extra's:

While doing this project I thought to myself that I never use 4 switches on my Taranis so why have them as do I also never use the heavy metal handle on the back of the transmitter so I removed them all and eliminated over two ounces on it's total weight ...lol

Last edited by quadfpv; Nov 27, 2017 at 03:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 11:58 AM
Noice. I just upgraded my Tango with two more cells, but I like the idea of this, and the removal of hardware on my Taranis. My switches keep breaking, and taking that bar off the back will help.
Nov 16, 2017, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam0027
Noice. I just upgraded my Tango with two more cells, but I like the idea of this, and the removal of hardware on my Taranis. My switches keep breaking, and taking that bar off the back will help.
6800mah lasts forever and 2 Li-ion are lighter than 6 AA's and I actually think it looks cooler with less switches and that handle I'll never use ...lol

Nov 24, 2017, 06:13 PM
Premium Registered User
Thanks for the writeup & guide I'm waiting on parts so I can give it a go myself
Nov 27, 2017, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tortoise
Thanks for the writeup & guide I'm waiting on parts so I can give it a go myself
Cool, I don't even know where someone would get those battery tabs themselves so I guess like me they would just use the transmitter 6 cell AA battery holder!?

Did you print it yourself, mine cost about $18 shipped, although the 2S battery balance lead I ordered was suppose to be silicon it actually ended up having plastic coating but still did the job!

Post a picture of yours when you get it done...

Dec 01, 2017, 07:21 PM
Premium Registered User
I got the 3D printed part of someone on eBay UK who prints parts for 5 shipped, he has a "Makerbot Replicator" so quality prints, not made it up yet though.