Vintage Gentle Lady Finally Flies! - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 10:44 PM
Yippee!

Vintage Gentle Lady Finally Flies!

I found an old Gentle Lady at a swap meet recently. It was an original, die-cut kit with a hobby shack order form and ads for the "new" Zap CA products. Not sure how old this kit is. 70s or early 80s maybe?? I wasn't sure how the build would workout or whether the original wood was any good. Fast forward a few weeks and the bird maidened and flew great! She caught a few thermals and I quickly understood why the kit is still produced!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2017, 04:29 PM
Congratulations! How about some Photos?
Nov 13, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
Congratulations! How about some Photos?
https://i.imgur.com/kp72F50.jpg

They need a mobile app for RCgroups. I can't get pics from the phone to here.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:49 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickey
https://i.imgur.com/kp72F50.jpg

They need a mobile app for RCgroups. I can't get pics from the phone to here.
Tapatalk supports RCgroups, if you need a mobile app.
Nov 13, 2017, 07:53 PM
B for Bruce
NICE SPOT LANDING! ! ! !

I still have good memories of my own GL. Picked it up at a club swap meet for peanuts. The covering looked like it had been applied while drunk and in the dark. I stripped it down and re-covered in the old original Micafilm that looked like colored silkspan tissue with clear dope on it. Came out as a lovely flying model that also had a lot of that classic "toy airplane" appeal.
Nov 13, 2017, 08:33 PM
I purchased a Gentle Lady with some other supplies I wanted. I converted it to electric and had many fine hours of flying. I let it get to far away and could not tell which way it was going. I was staying away form the gas power planes and just let it get away. The last I saw of it.

I was given another Gentle Lady the is a mess. I need to build a new tip and recover it. It needs a good bit of sanding before recovering it. It is on my list of things to do. One evening I will build a new tip. May be try it with high start. I never done one. It would be a good one to learn on.

Art
Nov 13, 2017, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1104
I purchased a Gentle Lady with some other supplies I wanted. I converted it to electric and had many fine hours of flying. I let it get to far away and could not tell which way it was going. I was staying away form the gas power planes and just let it get away. The last I saw of it.

I was given another Gentle Lady the is a mess. I need to build a new tip and recover it. It needs a good bit of sanding before recovering it. It is on my list of things to do. One evening I will build a new tip. May be try it with high start. I never done one. It would be a good one to learn on.

Art
Art,

Mine flies perfectly on the hi-start. It took very little trim and hardly any adjustment while on the line. My F3-RES ship hardly comes close to the stability this thing has on a hi start. Good luck building the new tip and enjoy the plane!
Nov 13, 2017, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickey
I found an old Gentle Lady at a swap meet recently. It was an original, die-cut kit with a hobby shack order form and ads for the "new" Zap CA products. Not sure how old this kit is. 70s or early 80s maybe?? I wasn't sure how the build would workout or whether the original wood was any good. Fast forward a few weeks and the bird maidened and flew great! She caught a few thermals and I quickly understood why the kit is still produced!
There was an article about the design (not the kit) in the February 1980 issue of RCM. So I'm guessing the kit came out at some point after that.

http://www.crccflyers.org/Content/Co...CM_Feb1980.pdf
Nov 14, 2017, 02:52 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Vintage already? I mail ordered one of the early kits out from AHC in NYC or NJ (America's Hobby Center, remember all their ads in magazines?). I bought it for $13.95 or $16.95. The first kits came with a separate sheet to make all the wooden parts from scratch. Later kits didn't have that. (Yes, I pickeup half dozen GL kits over the years.) I made the first one with a 3 piece wing, cause that was the cool thing to do back then. After a few crashes I made it (and all subsequent wings) one piece.

Even back then the kit had mismatch alignments, but the die crushing was a bit cleaner. Nothing that couldn't easily be adjusted. Once finished, fitted with Kraft KP4K radio and covered in transparent blue with white trim monokote, she looked every bit regal and splendid. Took it to the field and the club mates asked what it was. I told them it was called the Gentle Lady. That's a stupid name said one of the fliers. Remember up to this time gliders had highfalutin names like Olympic, Windfree and Paragon.

Over time as the numbers of GL's grew and their ability to stay up in the lightest lift was recognized, the term "Gentle Lady Weather" was coined. That term was often used on the slopes to relay the light slope lift conidtions. Yes, the GL made a great slope plane. I think I've seen more GL's on the slopes than thermal fields. I have personally taught more people the art of slope soaring with their GL's than any other plane. The clever rubber band wing retaining system saved more wings than I could ever count. Slopers often brought a GL, along with their dedicated slope ship, just in case the wind forecast didn't pan out.

Carl Goldberg designed one of the timeless gliders ever to grace the skies. No wonder she's been in production for decades. Long live the Lady.
Nov 14, 2017, 03:45 PM
Have a good friend who's been working on his GL for well over 10 years now. Getting tired of waiting for the maiden flight. Maybe he'll see this and be shamed into finally finishing it.
Nov 14, 2017, 05:09 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Who flew in a local Gentle Lady one design contest? I did and that was the reason why I got one in the first place. The year was 1985. My daughter was only 2 months old.

The event; 10 min duration, 2 min precision and a "pretty plane" event. Took home wood in all 3 events.