DW Astro Junior (Astro Hog clone) build! - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 10:29 PM
Build Log

DW Astro Junior (Astro Hog clone) build!

I came across this kit while doing my usual eBay surfing and it immediately caught my eye. 1380mm (54 in) span.

I've always loved the Astro Hog and was long hoping for a smaller version. I know BMJR has a smaller kit, but it's a 50% version of the original Berkeley design. I like the newer Sig version, which this is a clone of. I've seen that HobbyKing carries several kits similar to this one, but not this exact one.

Started working on it today and have already gotten the fuse completely constructed, sheeted and filled.

This is a super easy build. Almost every piece is laser cut, including all the sheeting. There's still plenty of cutting, carving and sanding though...especially around the nose and the headrest fairing.

Only gripe so far is that my kit didn't include anywhere near enough of the 6mm stringers, but it wasn't a big deal. I just cut extra from the left over sheets.

So far I'm really impressed. It wasn't a cheap kit at $136, but it also includes complete hardware, including wheels.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 11:29 PM
Stabs done. Pretty idiot proof when every part is laser cut already. Once again no real need to use the plans.

The rudder and elevator halves are solid sheet. May consider adding lightening holes, but they won't be needed. Barely weighs a thing.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:40 PM
Lipoly Killer

Good to see.

I ordered this kit from Bangood and it never showed up! I have the Sig Astro Hog and love it. I use a Rimfire 80 on 6S. Flies great ! I would suggest lowering the dihedral to 2 degrees. That takes a lot of the roll coupling out. I finally got my refund but sure would like to have one of these kits
Frank
Nov 10, 2017, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
I ordered this kit from Bangood and it never showed up! I have the Sig Astro Hog and love it. I use a Rimfire 80 on 6S. Flies great ! I would suggest lowering the dihedral to 2 degrees. That takes a lot of the roll coupling out. I finally got my refund but sure would like to have one of these kits
Frank
Mine took a solid three weeks to get to me. Worth the wait though.

It actually comes with two different spar sets, one with major dihedral and one with about half that.

Wings are just about done.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:41 AM
All framed up!
Nov 13, 2017, 01:32 PM

Reduced Hog

I spotted that kit on eBay and wondered what the quality would be. You have answered that question, sounds like a good deal. Its not that much more in cost than the BMJR mini kit. Enjoy the build and I will follow along.
Nov 13, 2017, 08:58 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
Frank
I ordered one of these from Banggood as well and it showed up. It took several weeks but mostly because it was held up in US Customs. It took only about week to make it to the US but typical lazy union workers sat on it in customs for almost a month. Same thing recently happened for a heli kit I bought.

But whatever, I got the kit and it looks awesome. Looking forward to getting the time to build it. Just taking my time collecting the equipment to put in it. I'm going for a vintage look so I'm putting in one of my E-converted McCoy .35 RedHeads . But I'm also working on converting a Torpedo .23 Greenhead which will probably be a little lighter. Kinda depends on the color scheme I decide to go with. As soon as I saw this kit I knew it would be perfect for one of these vintage conversions sticking out of the nose.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Nov 13, 2017 at 09:08 PM.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:09 PM
Especially without a muffler! Real authentic-looking then.

Andy
Nov 13, 2017, 09:28 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Especially without a muffler! Real authentic-looking then.

Andy
Yeah... that should bring out the finger pointers and noise nazis at the flying field. I need to come up with a story for those that don't figure it out. Like, "I'm experimenting with a new swirl flow, exhaust suppressing, zero compression piston technology" or something...

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Nov 13, 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:27 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
A zero-displacement anti-torsional thrust nut NASA-derived design from a Russian named Ivan Awfulitch!
Nov 14, 2017, 06:09 PM
Lipoly Killer

Good use of a McCoy .35!

As a kid, I flew McCoy 35's in control line Ringmasters. Maybe just my inexperience, but the sure wore out quickly. Luckily, they were cheap to buy.
Nov 15, 2017, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtips
I spotted that kit on eBay and wondered what the quality would be. You have answered that question, sounds like a good deal. Its not that much more in cost than the BMJR mini kit. Enjoy the build and I will follow along.
welcome to order in the ebay store:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippi...-/162722436930

The poster bought one from our store,and he post this thread,hope you will follow and love it.
Nov 15, 2017, 03:21 AM
Quote:

The poster bought one from our store,and he post this thread,hope you will follow and love it.
Nov 15, 2017, 03:30 AM
Quote:

Nov 15, 2017, 07:19 PM
Got it covered in my base color. I'll be doing the traditional Sig scheme, so next up will be cutting lots and lots of white stripes.

I plan on scanning the kit decals and having Callie Graphics scale them down for me as well.