Banzai 1/6 Scale Flight/Bert Baker Zero resurection. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 09:46 PM
Build Log

Banzai 1/6 Scale Flight/Bert Baker Zero resurection.

Here are one of those famous seldom modeled airplanes. Got this plane as well as a couple others in a trade. Guy that built it did a heck of a job. Everything is mostly glassed. Have to finish glassing the fuse. Got most of the abs cockpit parts and some resin cockpit parts. Going to make molds for the cowl,fuse tail,belly pan and whatever else I can get my monkey paws on. I am a mold making fool. Most of you guys maybe know I build jets. I like my warbirds also. The Zero build got the top build over a Meister Bf-109G-4 and a Bert Baker P-47. So now you know who bought those kits off here. I have the old plans from the Scale Flight Zero with the kit and from another awesome member on here. Chad was helpful also. Got the oldie but goodie retracts from twalther on here. Still don't know who made those. My goal is to make as many molds as I can to keep these old type kits going and to make them available to us older then dirt types who drink epoxy resin for breakfast and sniff balsa dust for dessert. So pull up a seat and pour yourself a glass of saki.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 09:52 PM

Zero pics

More Zero pics.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:11 PM

Zero

Engine sounds good. Still can't beat the sound of a Merlin or a Daimler Benz in my book.
Flight Demo of Genuine Japanese Zero with ORIGINAL WWII Sakae 31 Engine ! (2 min 10 sec)
Nov 10, 2017, 11:54 AM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Awesome to see that old warbird ressurected, I think the Bert Baker Zero morphed into the Yellow Aircraft Zero.

If I may suggest, set up a Facebook group too, web sites seem to come and go, maybe FB will stay along longer. I've set up one for the Vito Tomeo Warbird Planshttps://www.facebook.com/groups/1677276075664534/
Nov 10, 2017, 12:13 PM
From what I have read Bert Baker bought out the Scale Flight Zero. Then Yellow bought out Bert Baker
Nov 10, 2017, 12:49 PM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenkopf
From what I have read Bert Baker bought out the Scale Flight Zero. Then Yellow bought out Bert Baker
you could be right.

I hope you offer parts for sale to other builders, for example I'm using the Yellow aircraft zero cowl on my Dave Platt Zero. cheers - ken
Nov 10, 2017, 01:07 PM
That is the plan. I am going to make the molds for the cowl,belly pan,gun cover and rear part of fuse. Friend of mine here already has the canopy plug and can make those. I have a friend who can laser cut the short kits from the Scale Flight plans.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:34 PM
Scale Builder
I'm not certain what the relationship between Bert Baker and Scale Flight was. It was always my assumption that Bert Baker started designing under his own name and then he created Scale Flight when his designs started to get popular. I could be wrong on that though. Whatever the relationship I am pretty certain that the Zero was designed by Bert and not just purchased by him. The Zero, P-47, and P-38 offered by Yellow Aircraft all started out as Bert Baker designs. Baker also had a BT-13 and a Curtis Helldiver that I wish were still available somewhere. Looking forward to the Zero build totenkopf, it's always been a favorite.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:49 PM
Chad today I will take the Scale Flight pdf file that Ken sent me to copy as I was missing the fuse plans. I hope those come out clear. Have to make copies of those exterior plans as well. I will get some pics out today of the before and after pics of it. Going to scribe the panel lines and rivet details in it as the original cowl was devoid of any molded in details. To see the kind of details I do in my plugs and molds go check out my Su-7 Fitter build on here. Tim
Nov 10, 2017, 05:04 PM

Zero

Here is what I have to start with for the molds. Notice how cowl parting line is diagonal and doesn't split cowl in half. No biggie. Notice old school low spots in cowl filled with resin and cabosil. I only have half of the abs fuse tail piece. ABS air scoop fits perfect over belly pan. Have to decide weather to make whole belly pan mold or just the scoop. Gun hood I am going to have to cut it off the fuse so I can mold it.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:05 PM

Zero pics

More pics
Nov 10, 2017, 06:31 PM

Zero

Typical 80's glass work. High spots,pin holes and voids. No shocker there. If I put out glass work like that I would get crucified. Nothing what a little bondo glazing spot putty won't fix.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:49 PM

P-47

Bert Baker P-47. Same 80's glass work. I got that P-47 kit with everything except the foam wing cores. No biggie as I used the plans to make wing root and tip root cutting profiles out of G-10. Going to get some foam next week and cut 2 complete wing cores sets.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:21 AM
Tim, the cockpit accessories look great!! Please keep posting