Swapping Lt/Rt gimbals - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 07:06 PM
Question

Swapping Lt/Rt gimbals

Iíve recently lost the use of my right arm/hand. I fly mostly sailplanes on JR XG-14s, and if i could swap the rt gimbal and trims to the left I think I could fly using just my left hand. Is this possible, and does anyone know a reputable shop i could send my radios to to get this done? Iím still optimistic my situation will improve, but am preparing for the worst.

Thanks for your ideas

Adam
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 07:40 PM
Radio South seems like a good option for a modification:
http://radiosouthrc.com/
Nov 09, 2017, 08:33 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
I know this isn't for your transmitter... but would something like this help? (like the old single sticks with rudder on a knob)

https://alofthobbies.com/make-your-o...is-gimbal.html
Nov 09, 2017, 09:31 PM
Thx for the link and input. I would be using the left slider for flaps, so Iíd need to have my thumb on top of the stick while my index finger works the slider. Though Iím giving up the ability to use separate rudder input, I think Iím better off in the long run overall. Thx again for the responses.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acchamp
Thx for the link and input. I would be using the left slider for flaps, so Iíd need to have my thumb on top of the stick while my index finger works the slider. Though Iím giving up the ability to use separate rudder input, I think Iím better off in the long run overall. Thx again for the responses.
I don't know what planes you fly.... but I use flaps on a 3 position switch and have elevator compensation so that the plane is pretty much pitch neutral at the speed I would engage the flaps (so I don't need to stay on the flaps or elevator). Rudder is pretty important with any crosswind that is why I suggested that type of device.

Scott
Nov 10, 2017, 07:53 AM
And another dumb question - isn't that just a mode change for your transmitter? I think Mode 1 is worth looking at?

I did this once by swapping wires from side to side.... Wasn't a fun job. Nowadays, should be a configuration but I didn't see it in your manual.

Scott
Last edited by ScottSails; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM.