Das Splash - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 05:29 PM
Master of the 1 point landing
Discussion

Das Splash

I have lived on a pond for the past 5 years and have only been flying a Sea Monkey, which requires absolutely still air to fly. I'd like to have something in the 1/2A range that can ROW and can fly in the tight area over the pond.
Now, I am a balsa builder and would like something in balsa that is quick to build and flies well in light wind.
Recently I built a Das Splat, which is a 32" high winger that moves out on a EFlite Park 370. I figured it would be a good air frame to convert to a float plane.

I have never built floats or a float plane. So, this is gonna be a learning experience for me.

I do appreciate helpful advice from those that are experienced in the ways of ROW planes.

Here's the link to the plans:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6984

I figured (from looking at other float planes) that 12" floats would be the ideal size for this plane. The fuselage is 27" long.
I scaled these 33" floats down to 36% to get the 12" target:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7571

I am calling the float plane version of Das Splat the "Das Splash"...

So, here it goes...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 05:41 PM
Here's the intended flight area. It's about 30 feet out my back door, and my airplane shop looks out over the pond. It's always there beckoning me to come out and play.

There are some considerations I am taking into account here. There will be considerable weight gain with foats hanging off the fuselage. There will also be considerable drag.

The prototype Das Splat was 17oz with a wingspan of 32.5" and wing loading of 13.5oz/ft.

My Splat is only 13.1oz with wing loading of 10.4oz/ft.

That gives me almost 4 oz to gain to get it to the designed wing loading. However, I will be beefing up the wing a bit, and I am planning to add 1 rib to each wing, adding 3 inches overall and an extra 13sq inches of wing area.

I will also add rudder control. The original is elevator and aileron only. I don't know if I need a water rudder yet. I'd rather not add the weight if not necessary.
Last edited by ckimmey; Nov 09, 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Nov 09, 2017, 05:54 PM
I started with the floats. I considered making them from blue foam, but opted for built up balsa.

I started with 3/32" ply spines and added 1/2 bulkheads to each side. With the bulkheads alone the floats weighed 0.5oz each. I got out lightening holes between the bulkheads that took the weight down to 0.3 oz each.
Next set will get lightening holes before the bulkheads are added....

Hardwood blocks we're added to support the cross braces. I was going to use a 3/16" dowel in front and 1/8" dowel in back, but it turned out better to use a dowel in back and basswood stick in front.

Sheeting is 1/16" balsa. And the nose is blue foam.

The final weight of the floats before waterproofing is 1.6oz.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:14 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Nice work!
And green with cream should blend well into a cornfield.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
Nice work!
And green with cream should blend well into a cornfield.
Luckily, that is the land based version. The water based is gonna be red and white.😀
Nov 10, 2017, 06:39 AM
You know, if it goes down in the corn, it could be neon orange and you still couldn't see it from three feet away. (Been there ....)
Nov 10, 2017, 07:17 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
I hate to be a debbie downer,, but 12" is not nearly long enough for a 27" long plane, you typically want the floats 75-80% of the plane's length,, you're wanting them to be more like 18" at a minimum.

Good luck
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Nov 10, 2017, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
I hate to be a debbie downer,, but 12" is not nearly long enough for a 27" long plane, you typically want the floats 75-80% of the plane's length,, you're wanting them to be more like 18" at a minimum.

Good luck
That's the kind of advice I am looking for. I don't consider it being a downer. I'd rather know sooner than later. Perhaps a re-desgn is in order
Nov 10, 2017, 09:15 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Look here for my kinda das spash plane,, I find these style float works very well for small planes in small places

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seap...er-set-up.html
Last edited by scale_only; Nov 10, 2017 at 09:22 AM.
Nov 13, 2017, 11:57 PM
Give this a look: http://www.seaplanesupply.com/chuckcu.pdf

There's some good info on float sizing and that sort of thing.