Radian XL Repowering? - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 05:01 PM
Motorless Wing Nut
Discussion

Radian XL Repowering?

I'm sure all the data that will be posted in response to this is thread is buried in the nearly 2000 pages of the 'Radian XL' mega thread!

So, to make it easier to find, can I ask those of you that have successfully repowered this bird to post what you used and if you were happy with the results (happy being 'a large improvement over the stock setup.')

Thanks,
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 05:36 PM
espritmodel.com
Hey guys, we just wanted to let you know that the AXi 2826/12-30 with special extended shaft is back in stock.
The AXi motor works well with Jeti 70 SBEC ESC.

Zb/Esprit

http://www.espritmodel.com/axi-35-28...radian-xl.aspx
http://www.espritmodel.com/power-pac...m-3s-650w.aspx

Nov 09, 2017, 09:29 PM
Motorless Wing Nut
Nice! How about the Glider Drive (Turnigy) series?
Nov 11, 2017, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Data
Nice! How about the Glider Drive (Turnigy) series?
that's what I use ,I never flew it stock so I cant commet on the difference but its not a drop in you have to shave some foam from the sides since the glider drive is a little thicker you have to trim some of the fiber plastic in behind the motor since the glider drive is longer tan the stock motor ,there some weights in the nose you may or may not want to remove , I left the in there , took me about 20 minutes to do the mod fairly easy mod to do.if you sell the stock motor ,you may come out even on the money spent on the glider drive , go to the el radian forom and lok at the pictures you can get an idea of what needs to be done , there are also videos of BWX flying the xl with the mods
good luck its a nice glider, you will be happy with it , I think most people who have purchased it are happy with it ,even with its flaws
I
Nov 11, 2017, 08:23 AM
Motorless Wing Nut
What ESC and prop?
Nov 13, 2017, 02:51 PM
Motorless Wing Nut
Ok. Next issue... I broke the std prop and am replacing it with a 12x6 folder. Got the prop in only to realize it would not fit the std plastic yoke. So, i got a 45mm spinner and 47mm yoke. Everything is fine EXCEPT... the spinner will not sit dow far enough on the 5mm shaft. I know the AXI replacement motor has an extended shaft.

What do I do other than replacing the drive train?

SInce I am not getting much traction on my 'Re-powering' thread, I am going to post this on the Mega thread as well (something I do not normally do... double post.)

Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by Doc Data; Nov 13, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Data
Ok. Next issue... I broke the std prop and am replacing it with a 12x6 folder. Got the prop in only to realize it would not fit the std plastic yoke. So, i got a 45mm spinner and 47mm yoke. Everything is fine EXCEPT... the spinner will not sit dow far enough on the 5mm shaft. I know the AXI replacement motor has an extended shaft.

What do I do other than replacing the drive train?

SInce I am not getting much traction on my 'Re-powering' thread, I am going to post this on the Mega thread as well (something I do not normally do... double post.)

Thanks,
Dave
Does this help Dave?
I posted a while back #3322 about my "spinner throws a prop blade and wrecks front end of fuse" with some photos. It happened to me twice so in the end I found a replacement motor, spinner and prop, reinforced the front end with carbon tube ( and the rest of the fuse, and wings!) Photos and details in post #3868
Since the mods it's all been good, definitely my favourite plane. I was impressed that Horizon sent me a free new fuse after I contacted them with photos. I'd rather it didn't happen in the first place though!
Good luck! Geoff