America’s cup sailboat - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by tc432, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:20 PM
Trader Rating: 12
$80.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
For Sale

America’s cup sailboat

Americas cup boat it’s 39 1/2”x8 1/2” made from a very strong, stiff plastic. Looks to have a carbon fiber mast. A tray inside to mount radio and servos. No electronics. Removable keel.
Last edited by tc432; Nov 19, 2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Price reduction
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 09:26 PM
Trader Rating: 21
Taking care of the pond.
That looks like a Thunder Tiger Voyager.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:09 AM
Trader Rating: 13
Webmaster, MMCNE
I am offering these comments to help prospective purchasers-- I have no affiliation with the seller. This sale is the only other time I've seen one of these boats, so I thought I'd share my experience with mine.....

I had one of those "Cup Yachts" when they first came out-- I think it was the early '90s. Your boat looks just like I remember mine, except mine was all white (Was yours painted tan at some point?)
The box said it was a "1 meter" boat-- hence the 39 inch LOA.

That carbon fiber (or whatever) mast looks to be the orginal. The boat came with this mast, and no rigging (except a backstay). The idea was that in heavy winds, the mast would bend, spilling some wind and essentially luffing part of the sail. Bad idea for a racing boat, but for a sport boat, it actually worked. I could sail in some really breezy conditions, and never had a knockdown, capsize, or leakage.

Another feature on the box was "includes Kevlar Sails!" . They were crap-- they were stiff, and flat, with no shape in the panels. It was almost like having sails cut from a sheet of thin sheet styrene or cardstock. I replaced them with homemade sails made from kite fabric, which looked and performed better. It looks like there is a better set of sails on your boat-- I don't know if later models came that way, or someone bought aftermarket replacements...?

You don't need a dedicated sail control servo if you're going to be sailing in reasonable conditions. I would just use a nice torque-y standard servo. You can always upgrade to a sail control unit or one with metal gears later, if you find yourself sailing it in "model hurricane" conditions!

As I recall, it was a pretty good sport sailer. It could handle a much wider range of conditions than the smaller 2-foot sport boats. I didn't get to sail with others very often, but I do think that with my improved sails, it was a bit faster than a stock Kyosho Fairwind.

I have no idea what they cost new back then. I got mine sent to me from a Model Airplane magazine I used to write for because they needed a "boat guy" to do a New Product Review article.....

Final Comment: I used to refer to this as my "Magic Sailboat". I would bring it to our scale club Fun Float, and it would guarantee that it would be flat calm for the duration of the event!
Last edited by RCBoater; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:54 PM
Trader Rating: 12
Rc boater, Thank you for your input. I was not 100percent sure of what I had here. I am reducing the price to $100. This I believe is a more reasonable price. Tom
Dec 02, 2017, 08:02 AM
Trader Rating: 0
jimbo42

sail boat ???

still for sale ?,,, thanks,,, ole fart Jimmy (jimhaley42@wcc.net)