Mig-15 in about 1:10 scale - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 02:14 PM
Build Log

Mig-15 in about 1:10 scale

Guys,

Some time ago I impulsively bought the DH Vampire from Hobbyking and, to my surprise, found out that I enjoy it even though it could hardly thermal . Thus I decided that it is time to get back to powered flight and to build my own "jet".

The starting point of my consideration was simple – it should be capable of "hand start", without a need for a bungee or tarmac runway. So, no undercarriage is needed, on the other hand the model should have a generous wing area and be relatively light weight.

Being a Czech I wanted a Czechoslovakia made plane. I started to draw a wing of MiG-19 but then realised it is not as big as it seemed. Continued with L-29 Delfin which I still like very much but then my club mate, who is a former military pilot, suggested MiG-15 and promised to provide some information about the plane he actually flew (still waiting :-)).

MiG-15 is reportedly the most produced jet (18000+), in former Czechoslovakia almost 3500 aircraft had been built (833 of MiG-15, 620 of improved "bis" variant, and 2012 of dual control "UTI").

I almost bought a kit from RCB Kits, only at the last moment realised that it would mean to loose a lot of fun – I really enjoy that continuous string of mistakes and wrong decisions that accompany the design job and eventually leads to flying machine.

Searching my library yielded a book about MiG with a decent 3D-view. Good, I do not like too detailed information, I want a model for flying, not scale detailing. Also, I am not very good with CAD modelling, so paper, ruler, and pencil I am fine with.

I have got the wings almost completed so there is a fair chance that the model will fly in a foreseeable future . Also, I feel I need some help

Thanks, Jan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 02:34 PM
Now, my question #1 - is the rudded control needed or desirable on the EDF of this size?

Thanks, Jan
Nov 09, 2017, 03:53 PM
Not necessary for hand launch. Yes if you plan to have landing gear.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:30 PM
I have the e-flite UMX MiG-15 (28mm EDF) and built a 12 gram one with a 24mm EDF and aileron/elevator control. I love the way both models fly.

For the smaller one I did not miss rudder but I did use it much on the "larger" MiG. Being able to taxi completes the experience. I did also notice that rudder did help coordinating turns to a nicer flying appearance.

Looking forward to yours!
Nov 11, 2017, 11:30 AM
Thank you very much for your advice, I will make the rudder working. Even though I do no plan for landing gear I like the coordinated turns.

Question #2 (nor related to the model). Some weeks ago I happened to visit a Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow and took a walk-around a Polish made Mig-15. I am quite sure I will not go that deep into scaling, however noted that all Polish-made Mig-15's have a recess in the root fence on the port wing. I saw it on both single and dual control planes, it is not in the startboard wing, and I cannot find it on Russian or Czech planes. Does someone know what it was intended for?

Thanks, Jan
Nov 11, 2017, 11:37 AM
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...5-in-48-scale/
According to the thread it is to see a mechanical flaps down indication.
I have a small UMX Mig as well as have built and flown the large HTG version. No rudder needed in flight. You would be hard pressed to notice any turn coordination issues. The tail is so big on the Mig15 it stays pointed in the right direction even in turns.
Last edited by 4stripes; Nov 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM.
Nov 11, 2017, 12:11 PM
Yes, the flap indicator, it makes sense, thank you.

A very nice picture, it could hardly be a lower low pass :-)

Jan
Nov 19, 2017, 12:24 PM

Horizontal tailplane

Slowly progressing…

For controlling the elevators I made a kind of RDS (rotary drive system) – normally used on sailplanes but here it comes handy due to swept surfaces. I do not like any uncontrolled bending/twisting of control linkages.