Oct 29, 2019, 07:21 PM
Right Rudder
Peter.

Got mine yesterday but, work has gotten in the way and have not had an opportunity to open the box.

It will be my highest priority for the next thing I do for the Hobby, however.

Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 03:40 PM

Tailwheel Play

Quick question, I just got this bird and love it, especially the fact I can easily be disassemble for easy transport and storage.

However, I did have a slightly bumpy landing recently and it seems to have loosen the tail-wheel a bit. I have quite a bit of play now, practically a free moving caster, though it still will move with the rudder inputs, has about 1/4" of free-play either left or right.

Is anyone familiar with this and a fix for it?
Nov 05, 2019, 07:23 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
Quick question, I just got this bird and love it, especially the fact I can easily be disassemble for easy transport and storage.

However, I did have a slightly bumpy landing recently and it seems to have loosen the tail-wheel a bit. I have quite a bit of play now, practically a free moving caster, though it still will move with the rudder inputs, has about 1/4" of free-play either left or right.

Is anyone familiar with this and a fix for it?
Really strange. My model has not exhibited this but, on the other hand, it has not experienced a hard (Bumpy) Landing.

Do you have any pictures showing the Rudder Server with the Rod and Clevis that controls the Tail Wheel? I can't get to mine because it is hanging up high in storage.
Nov 06, 2019, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Really strange. My model has not exhibited this but, on the other hand, it has not experienced a hard (Bumpy) Landing.

Do you have any pictures showing the Rudder Server with the Rod and Clevis that controls the Tail Wheel? I can't get to mine because it is hanging up high in storage.
Thanks man for helping me with this, I'll get some picks and post them up.
Nov 11, 2019, 02:39 AM
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, I got called out for work and just got back. Actually, picked-up a buddy's new AT-6 and put it together out in the airfield today.

Just noticed it's has the same exact amount of play with it. Either both planes have issues or that's the way they are and I simply did not notice it and assumed it wasn't correct. Especially since my P-47 doesn't have any play.

Can you double check on your AT-6 and just confirm if you have any play with the tailwheel?
Nov 11, 2019, 09:06 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I got called out for work and just got back. Actually, picked-up a buddy's new AT-6 and put it together out in the airfield today.

Just noticed it's has the same exact amount of play with it. Either both planes have issues or that's the way they are and I simply did not notice it and assumed it wasn't correct. Especially since my P-47 doesn't have any play.

Can you double check on your AT-6 and just confirm if you have any play with the tailwheel?
I have got on the Step Stool (Mini Ladder) and verified that my model does NOT exhibit any Play What-So-Ever at the Tail Wheel.
Nov 11, 2019, 09:56 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter from GER View Post
Since the first kit is on the way to PittSpecial i put the basic STL-Files on cgtrader:

Here the Link

In case, you do not have access to a 3d printer you can send me a private message…

I attached the building and printing manual.

Best Regards,

Peter
Peter,

I am working on it!

QUESTION: Which Large BLACK Ring Muffler Piece should I use? The latest one that came in the Mail?

Pitts
Nov 11, 2019, 10:43 PM
Quote:
I have got on the Step Stool (Mini Ladder) and verified that my model does NOT exhibit any Play What-So-Ever at the Tail Wheel.
Great, thank you for checking for me, really appreciate it. I'll check with Horizon Customer support, but the only way I see to fix it is to remove that lower cover, probably with an exacto and glue it back.

Luckily for me, I don't have to do much taxiing of the aircraft due to the dirt and grass landing fields I have, pretty much take straight off and land within a few feet.
Nov 12, 2019, 01:27 AM
Pitts,

i would suggest, that you don't use one of the ringmufflers.

It is hardly visible under the cowling, you will save some weight and the engine is later on much easier to install.

If you want to build it with the ringmuffler, use the one i sent you after the main package…

Regards, Peter
Nov 12, 2019, 01:55 AM
Grumpa Tom
I have received the crankcase from my order at a 3D printing site, but that was a week ago. Still waiting for the other parts and was told they are having trouble printing the cylinders.
Nov 12, 2019, 03:38 AM
Oh, I am sorry to hear that!

The cylinders of course have small structures but when they use my proposol for an infill of 25%, Layer Height 0.1 mm and using a raft, it should be no problem.

Of course, with these settings the print of the cylinder set will take more than 10 hours and perhaps they tried to save some printer time.

If they are not able to print them, try to get your money back and i will send you a set of cylinders…

Best Regards,

Peter
Last edited by Peter from GER; Nov 12, 2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Add a picture
Nov 12, 2019, 06:08 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter from GER View Post
Pitts,

i would suggest, that you don't use one of the ringmufflers.

It is hardly visible under the cowling, you will save some weight and the engine is later on much easier to install.

If you want to build it with the ringmuffler, use the one i sent you after the main package…

Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! A little weight doesn't bother me.

Here's my comments about the preparation of the parts from the Frame Molds.

1. Instead of drilling and other tools per the instructions, I have used an angle hook Pick Tool that was very effective in the cleaning of the main Engine Housing.
2. The Cylinder Push Rods need careful handling so as not to lose any because one of mine was ejected and flew a few feet at a location that was easy to recover.
3. Otherwise the instructions are very very well written.

SUMMARY:

The Pick Tool did a super and fast, effective job in cleaning up the inside of the main Engine housing.
This is by far the best Engine Model that I have ever come across and the quality is very good for 3D printer.

Thank you!
Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 12, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:14 AM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
I have received the crankcase from my order at a 3D printing site, but that was a week ago. Still waiting for the other parts and was told they are having trouble printing the cylinders.
I received a photo of the printed parts. I am not pleased. I thought that this business, Craftcloud, was a manufacturer. I think now, it is a sub-contractor. They said the parts did not look very good and I agreed. I am going to have to mull this over for a while, and decide what I want to do.
Nov 13, 2019, 03:44 AM
Right Rudder

Gorilla CLEAR Glue does the trick!

Guys,

With regard to Peter's Dummy 3D Printed 9-Cylinder scale Engine, I am having great results in using the Gorilla "CLEAR" Glue!

Does NOT leave any residue, pretty much fast cure (comparatively to others) and it is CLEAR and does not look like there is any glue what-so-ever.

The warning label says to watch out for fumes but, I don't smell nothing and do have my LED / FAN combination Desk unit ON with the FAN just in case.

This Gorilla "Clear" Glue is relatively a new product over here and so far I am very impressed.

Going to use it on my Revel Out-Of-Production SPACE Static models such as the Gemini Spacecraft with Astronaut figure!

Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 13, 2019 at 06:07 AM.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:52 AM
I am not a robot
Excited to see your's mounted. Thinking that it will make the plane nose heavy?

Quick Reply