Show us your hot-wire cutter! - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 01:50 PM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Discussion

Show us your hot-wire cutter!

Hey, just looking for inspiration, I am going to make both a bow type for wing cores and a vertical unit for fuselage sections.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 03:06 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Look here

I was just looking into this last month

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...re-foam-cutter
Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 AM
WJH
WJH
Re-Born Foam Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
I was just looking into this last month

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...re-foam-cutter
Thank you
Nov 11, 2017, 04:46 PM
skumgummi dave
Really nice set up Tom!

Dave-
Nov 11, 2017, 08:10 PM
flyin' fool
Pivot cutter ......................... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post33073677
Nov 12, 2017, 11:12 PM
OH NO! You didn't get me started on hot wire cutting tools. Here are a ton of pictures of my hot wire tools.

It didn't load any of my pictures. Probably too many. I'll try again in two post.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:54 PM
OK I'll try again.
Nov 13, 2017, 01:00 AM
OK these last two are how I cut my wing cores. I used to use a drop bar set up a lot like Tom's. Tom that is a nice drop bar set up by the way. It would take me forever to get the taper right on my drop bar So I can up with this tapered wing core cutter. I could never get the hang of following the templates free hand either. I'd get a good one and the next would be junk. So I came up with another way to cut straight (non-tapered) wing cores. Here are a bunch of pictures of them.

The last thing is wire. Everyone has a favorite and most work as well the next. I like to use .023" mig welding wire. A small spool runs around 10 to 15 buck. I've been doing this for ten years and have only gone thru less than half a spool. A wire on a bow will last forever if you wipe it off when it is still hot. For the shaped tools I will use various diameter piano wire. The heavier gage the better, it will flex less. The problem is if you use a heavy gauge you need to push more current thru it to get the heat. A train transformer of door bell can't do it. I have posted a few videos on you tube about various hot wire topics. Search Eyeball Aeronautics if you want to see want I put out there. See I told you not to get me started!
Nov 13, 2017, 01:21 AM
skumgummi dave
Wow, wow, wow! Nice tools!

Dave-
Nov 13, 2017, 02:41 AM
flyin' fool
Actually......... a nail, guitar string, dowel handle and simple power supply for a bout $20 works too.
Nov 13, 2017, 02:42 AM
flyin' fool
Oh, and a couple of rocks too. :
Nov 13, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Actually......... a nail, guitar string, dowel handle and simple power supply for a bout $20 works too.
Very true. I tend to build as many tools as airplanes some times. At one time I thought about making and selling wing cores. I wanted to be able to spit out a bunch at a time. I finally decided that I didn't want to make my favorite pass time into a job.