Show us your hot-wire cutter! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 01:50 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Discussion

Show us your hot-wire cutter!

Hey, just looking for inspiration, I am going to make both a bow type for wing cores and a vertical unit for fuselage sections.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 03:06 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Look here

I was just looking into this last month

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...re-foam-cutter
Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
I was just looking into this last month

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...re-foam-cutter
Thank you
Nov 11, 2017, 04:46 PM
skumgummi dave
Really nice set up Tom!

Dave-
Nov 11, 2017, 08:10 PM
flyin' fool
Pivot cutter ......................... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post33073677
Nov 12, 2017, 11:12 PM
OH NO! You didn't get me started on hot wire cutting tools. Here are a ton of pictures of my hot wire tools.

It didn't load any of my pictures. Probably too many. I'll try again in two post.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:54 PM
OK I'll try again.
Nov 13, 2017, 01:00 AM
OK these last two are how I cut my wing cores. I used to use a drop bar set up a lot like Tom's. Tom that is a nice drop bar set up by the way. It would take me forever to get the taper right on my drop bar So I can up with this tapered wing core cutter. I could never get the hang of following the templates free hand either. I'd get a good one and the next would be junk. So I came up with another way to cut straight (non-tapered) wing cores. Here are a bunch of pictures of them.

The last thing is wire. Everyone has a favorite and most work as well the next. I like to use .023" mig welding wire. A small spool runs around 10 to 15 buck. I've been doing this for ten years and have only gone thru less than half a spool. A wire on a bow will last forever if you wipe it off when it is still hot. For the shaped tools I will use various diameter piano wire. The heavier gage the better, it will flex less. The problem is if you use a heavy gauge you need to push more current thru it to get the heat. A train transformer of door bell can't do it. I have posted a few videos on you tube about various hot wire topics. Search Eyeball Aeronautics if you want to see want I put out there. See I told you not to get me started!
Nov 13, 2017, 01:21 AM
skumgummi dave
Wow, wow, wow! Nice tools!

Dave-
Nov 13, 2017, 02:41 AM
flyin' fool
Actually......... a nail, guitar string, dowel handle and simple power supply for a bout $20 works too.
Nov 13, 2017, 02:42 AM
flyin' fool
Oh, and a couple of rocks too. :
Nov 13, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Actually......... a nail, guitar string, dowel handle and simple power supply for a bout $20 works too.
Very true. I tend to build as many tools as airplanes some times. At one time I thought about making and selling wing cores. I wanted to be able to spit out a bunch at a time. I finally decided that I didn't want to make my favorite pass time into a job.
Nov 18, 2017, 02:05 PM
I built a set of three tools when I got back into foam cutting: A bow, a jig-saw, and a planer/guillotine. (Is 'planer' the right term for something used to cut blocks into planks?).

The bow is based on one that came with the "Hands-Off II" corer I used to have. It's a wood, with two music wire arms, the ends of which were Dremeled to knobs and have star washers (?) on them to retain the cutting wire (Sullivan .018" control line wire).

To cut cores with it, I bolt it to the workbench (white nylon bolts seen in the picture) and pull the core under the wire (I use separate templates for the top and bottom of the core). I have to admit I got the 'pull the core' vrs. 'move the bow' trick from the Hands Off corer

So far, the bow and the planer have gotten a lot of use (as in a whole 2 models), whilst I've yet to use the jigsaw. X-Acto knives and my 37 year-old Dremel Motoshop saw work better for a lot of trimming work. That may change, someday, especially for foam blocks thicker than about 2".

CD
Nov 18, 2017, 10:28 PM
Nice. Screwing the bow to the bench with the bow arms holding down pressure on the templates and tension on the wire. Genius! Just pull the wing blank through. That's gotta be easier than free handing the bow. I have to play with our idea now. Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply