He 162 B (C or D?) - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 12:28 PM
Discussion

He 162 B (C or D?)

Begining on a small 162 B 1;12 scale 24" span, 120 squares so weights need watching and imo a bit small for wheels.
Yess these were tiny machines.
Either formed Balsa shells or Lost foam as planned fuse/pod construction.. could be tricky though.. will find out
Unsure as to a B ' the production version' or the on paper swept wing, v tail paper derivatives
Likely the B version.. No biggie as fuses are similar.
Lots! of info on He162's,. too much almost... 3 views , as always, differ from each other.. no news there but always amazes .
Settled on my Tamiya 1:48 kit images as the most reliable .. attached pdfs (100% print scale gives an accurate 1:48 print)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 01:39 PM
Oh no, not again!
You build cool stuff, Bare, but at 24" span, I'd have to stick to a plastic model. I'm having to go to 50-60" to compensate for old eyes and slowing reflexes. Scale it up, 250% or so and we're talking.

Actually, I am amazed at the scale detail you manage to cram into your mini-models. Always something to learn.

Regards,
Jeff
Nov 09, 2017, 03:51 PM
I may be some time ....
On those little wings it's going to go like stink. You could do them a little over scale and we won't tell.

4oz glass / 1/16 balsa / 1oz glass laid up over a plug might be another possibility for the shells.

What are you thinking to power it. At 24" span, I'm thinking the fuse and pod dimensions won't he too restrictive.

Alec
Nov 09, 2017, 04:24 PM
Oh no, not again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticS2
On those little wings it's going to go like stink. You could do them a little over scale and we won't tell.

4oz glass / 1/16 balsa / 1oz glass laid up over a plug might be another possibility for the shells.

What are you thinking to power it. At 24" span, I'm thinking the fuse and pod dimensions won't he too restrictive.

Alec
Heck, Alec, at 24" he could vac-form everything and use balsa spars and formers. As much detail as you care to put into your plugs for no weight.

Regards,
Jeff
Nov 09, 2017, 04:37 PM
Propulsion? 30mm size ducted fan?

Enquiring Minds want to know . . .

Pete G
Nov 09, 2017, 05:21 PM
Actually Bigger than it reads .
The size looks to just fit on My coffee table.. surprised me too. The Numbers mislead.
Power: Likely the HK Ali 40mm unit ~15 oz thrust and 5 oz coupled to a usable battery, ~2 oz avionics, ~8 oz airframe = 1:1 thrust possibilities
30mm will of course fit. Light and simple. But it's ~5 oz thrust and frankly it looks like a thimble as placed on the drawings. Disconcertingly tiny tbh.
Still? If I can build a decent looking airframe... light enough... I will try it

Astute of you Jeff
I'm considering that as well, nose , inlet and tail cones will be vacu formed regardless. Likely have need for a few spares as well.
Vacu forming does require a durable wooden plug. Foam ones tend to distort.. quickly. Unfortunately wood is bit more work to carve than foam.
Formed balsa on a plug shell is similar to a Vacuformed shell.. just more fragile.
Read somewhere that innovation/invention is the result of lazy people looking for an easier way. Credible when thought about
Again; new to me territory.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:47 PM
I may be some time ....
OK. Back of fag-packet calc suggests its considerably shorter and slimmer than I imagined - fuselage about 30.5" long and up to 3,5" wide. So composite possibly overkill. Looks like you could go to about 45mm on the fan and have scale inlet and outlet.

Nice having the fan in the pod. leaves you with much more flexibility in the fuse.

Dental plaster for vacuform plugs?

Whatever. Looking forward to watching you do your stuff
Nov 10, 2017, 02:05 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Great subject, Bare.

Just brushed up on Wikipedia. I didn't realize that the 162 saw quite a bit of combat. Three pilots resorted to that early ejection seat, too. Two survived.

Paul
Nov 10, 2017, 10:15 AM
... erm ... I don't know your flying skills but with a 19.7 WCL they must be exceptional ....
Nov 10, 2017, 01:35 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Interesting subject, always liked the He162. I always thought it’d be cool to see the forward swept wing version with the V tail (whichever letter version that on is). I don’t think it was ever actually built, but it is the most interesting version in my opinion! I think that one has more wing area too which might help you some.
Today, 06:12 PM
Two steps forward, one step back.
Decided (may live to regret this) to try Two scales
1:24 at 24" wing span for 40 mm HK/rc lander fan unit
~1:15 at 20" ws for QX 30 mm fan gizmo.. simple curiosity as to how this fan will work..as iffy excuse
Both allow for exact scale inlets at their scales.
Photo of fans on their respective blowups attached.
Blu Foam blocks cut and waiting, in final stages of making templates to wire cut the basic outlines.. for Both versions