PSS Forum! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 09:46 AM
less is more
Discussion

PSS Forum!

Have you guys ever considered having a dedicated PSS forum?

You know, just PSS stuff so you don't have to wade through the slope stuff that doesn't interest you.

Somewhere you can post a build log and not have it bumped off the first page in 6 hours just because there is SO MUCH ACTIVITY on the slope forum.

The slope forum would be better for it too. It has gotten too big and cumbersome.

Each individual forum will create it's own character that is impossible to predict. I should know. I created the Nurflügel forum years ago on just a WHIM and amazingly it has been quite active. A PSS forum would be wildly popular.

It is easy to do. You just need 50 "votes" from RCG members.

Kent
the forum starter.......

edit THIS is how it is done
Last edited by Knoll53; Nov 09, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 12:21 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
My vote would be no. I would rather not. Most of us here that are into PSS are into lots of different slope airplanes not just PSS and PSS happens to be my favorite. But I’d rather not have to visit multiple forums for stuff like the Ahi or Weasel.

I would also say this forum is dead slow. Especially compared to other forms here on RC Groups. Like the Multirotor Talk forum that place is crazy fast.

I started a thread over there a few years ago and it has almost 49,000 replies and almost 2,800,000 views. That one thread is bigger than a lot of forums here. And there’s many threads over there much bigger than that. And none of them are super old either.
That forum moves fast this forum is dead slow in my opinion.

You post a reply or a comment over there ( Multirotor Talk forum) and within a few min you have 10 or 12 comments or questions back at you. Here some times its like talking to the wall you wonder if anyone’s even here.
And this Slope forum used to be a lot more active, it has slowed down even compared to itself over the years.

Dave
Just my two cents
Last edited by DWA; Nov 09, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:28 PM
DWA
DWA
And I just looked there are nine separate drone forums here and five separate FPV forms which are very much so a part of drones, so they’re totally split up, and it’s still lightning fast in just that one Multirotor Drone Talk forum.

The Electric Airplane Talk, Electric Warbirds, and Park Flyer forums are super fast also, just to name a few, so yeah this place is slow.
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 09, 2017, 12:43 PM
less is more
The Slope forum and the PSS forum would right next to each other. It's not really a problem to view both if you are interested in both. The posts are simply organized.

I think that you'd find that the quality of the comments would be more focused, maybe better comments if you had a dedicated PSS forum. That's what happened with the Nurflügel forum.

I for one do not want to read 49,000 replies on any topic. I'd pay extra to read a forum that had a few good posts on PSS than the constant flood of posts on "sorry error please delete".
Nov 09, 2017, 12:54 PM
DWA
DWA
Yeah that’s cool, I can see your point of view. Everybody interacts with this website differently. I have a whole bunch of Sailplanes but I’m rarely in the Sailplane Talk forum. I also have Park Flyers, Electric Airplanes, and Electric Warbirds. And I’m never in those forums. I just kind a like hanging out here or the Multirotor Talk forum. Maybe it’s because I know more people here & there. I also tend to leave my computer on with the browser on just the forum I’m participating in.

By the way I love your avatar picture! That looks like a hell of a slope! You look like you are really way up there.
Last edited by DWA; Nov 09, 2017 at 01:06 PM.
Nov 09, 2017, 01:31 PM
Piscine Promulgator
One of the reasons that this forum (Slope) has slowed down has surely been the slow but steady migration of traffic and engagement to other platforms, most notably Facebook.

There, the use of Groups has allowed people to create laser-focused spaces for discussion about these sub-genres of slope gliding (and everything else). They can further be focused regionally, and I suspect are becoming major means by which local events and similar are getting organized.

Beyond that, the wide proliferation of instant message / chat / IRC -type apps like Slack have surely further drawn off interest here.

One challenge of a public discussion forum - just like a public group - is that there's essentially zero barrier to entry. This can be good for new people, but for more experienced folks, especially those who know one another and may be using online comms for more social than hobby-oriented activities, having to deal with "random kooks from the internet" may not be as engaging. So they retreat to "walled gardens" which are invite-only. Email is one way, but the newer tools are even better.

Anyways, the TLDR is that there are many possible ways to connect now. Back in 2003 when I joined FB, there were newsgroups, Yahoo (and other) groups, and similar, but they were all sort of like mailing lists, and this then relatively new forum technology was hot stuff. Today, forums themselves are perceived as getting long in the tooth and the migration to new platforms continues.

And as a reward for (maybe) reading all that, I bestow upon you a link to a decent PSS group on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSS....Scale.Soaring/

Steve
Nov 09, 2017, 01:45 PM
less is more
Walled Garden. Sounds great. Where do I sign up.
Nov 09, 2017, 02:15 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
One of the reasons that this forum (Slope) has slowed down has surely been the slow but steady migration of traffic and engagement to other platforms, most notably Facebook.

There, the use of Groups has allowed people to create laser-focused spaces for discussion about these sub-genres of slope gliding (and everything else). They can further be focused regionally, and I suspect are becoming major means by which local events and similar are getting organized.

Beyond that, the wide proliferation of instant message / chat / IRC -type apps like Slack have surely further drawn off interest here.

One challenge of a public discussion forum - just like a public group - is that there's essentially zero barrier to entry. This can be good for new people, but for more experienced folks, especially those who know one another and may be using online comms for more social than hobby-oriented activities, having to deal with "random kooks from the internet" may not be as engaging. So they retreat to "walled gardens" which are invite-only. Email is one way, but the newer tools are even better.

Anyways, the TLDR is that there are many possible ways to connect now. Back in 2003 when I joined FB, there were newsgroups, Yahoo (and other) groups, and similar, but they were all sort of like mailing lists, and this then relatively new forum technology was hot stuff. Today, forums themselves are perceived as getting long in the tooth and the migration to new platforms continues.

And as a reward for (maybe) reading all that, I bestow upon you a link to a decent PSS group on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSS....Scale.Soaring/

Steve
Yeah I guess so, good point Steve. I should join that Facebook group. Personally I try to stay off of Facebook. Too much negative stuff on Facebook, political and news is all negative there. Also bad language that goes uncensored.
If I get on Facebook again I need to edit the friends I follow and the groups I belong to I guess.
I don’t need all the negative stuff and the drama that tends to be on Facebook.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 09, 2017, 02:39 PM
Obsessed
I don't own or fly PSS stuff anymore, but I love watching the build threads and seeing pics of the cool new designs. If there was a separate PSS forum, I'd probably never check it.
Nov 09, 2017, 02:41 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Yeah I guess so, good point Steve. I should join that Facebook group. Personally I try to stay off of Facebook. Too much negative stuff on Facebook, political and news is all negative there. Also bad language that goes uncensored.
If I get on Facebook again I need to edit the friends I follow and the groups I belong to I guess.
I don’t need all the negative stuff and the drama that tends to be on Facebook.
Unfriend, Unfollow and Block are a helluva drug!

I make Facebook work for me, not the other way around

Steve
Nov 09, 2017, 06:15 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
One time, I suggested a separate forum for sailplane build logs only, but that was no good either (mostly due to lack of activity overall).
Nov 09, 2017, 07:01 PM
Just Toss It !!!
So this would be like PSS declaring independence for Slope?

I think the Slope Constitution says nobody can leave .....Especially PSS!.... Because they are so entertaining!

If PSS votes yes in the referendum I don't think Slope for stand for it and then there will be WAR!
Nov 09, 2017, 07:17 PM
less is more
If by WAR you mean healthy competition, then yes. PSS is clearly the more evolved version of slope (how's that for war ) , so maybe the basic slopers would be inspired to try PSS after seeing what dedicate PSS'ers are doing on their forum.

Alternatively, if the basic slopers wanted to keep is simple, they would have a forum that is not cluttered up fussy complicated scale builds. Both forums would be better for it.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:21 PM
less is more
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Today, forums themselves are perceived as getting long in the tooth and the migration to new platforms continues.
When Artificial Intelligence kicks in, we'll just be sitting back and watching the robots design and fly.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:34 PM
less is more
Currently there are 43 guys signed up at the "P-51D Fake Fest Build Sign Up". If there are that many willing to buy a short kit, there must be twice that many interested in following the builds. If you wanted the PSS forum, it would be easy to create. The Nurflügel forum took about 3 weeks to get the votes.