Small foam rc plane! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 09:17 AM
Potato003
Discussion

Small foam rc plane!

Hi,

@balsa or carbon kindly sent me some nice electronics that I really needed ( \o/ ) and I am starting to work with them so I can get the most fun of them!

So I started building a very tiny small rc plane. I will use 2 brushed motors in each side of the wing, will I really need to use a rudder and an elevator? If I balance very well the CG I can climb/go down my plane only using the throttle and if I want to turn to any side I can create a difference in throttle of both motors. What do you think? Is it gonna work?

One more question: in the plane that I built (video below) do you think that making the horizontal wing of the tail bigger is gonna help with lift?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/znb2ETaMaOMNWrIs2

I have 4 of the 2 motors below, what motor do you think would be better in this plane? The small one of the big one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/prDxHiWRrZbJOu8X2

One final question: do you think I should make this wing bigger or you think it has a good size to be flown using only 2 motors?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 09:41 AM
Haha, you never want to just do things the conventional way!

Using differential throttle instead of rudder is 100% fine. I do that on all my twins (in one I mix it in with rudder, but I can see why you want to avoid the weight and complication of the rudder linkages)

Elevator is also not essential in this case, but I'd suggest keeping it for several reasons. 1) It gives you far more precise pitch control than changing the throttle (which gives pitch control only as a secondary effect); 2) It gives you pitch control while gliding and 3) in your case, differential throttle is already being used for yaw control....which might have a secondary effect on pitch. So you could end up with a plane that is difficult to trim so that it turns without also changing its climb/pitch.

But I know you like to experiment and don't mind crashing, so why not try first without elevator and see how it works...you may be lucky Easy enough to add it later.

Did BorC send you some micro electronics from the US? What a kind gent! (though with all your crashes, you probably deserved some extra encouragement)

PS: Forgot to mention - your horizontal stabilizer looks far too small. I'd close to double it, especially if you want to try without elevator. Remember, its job is to stabilise the plane in pitch. Without an elevator you have very marginal pitch control, so you need the plane to be more pitch stable than normal.
Last edited by Extreme Sports; Nov 09, 2017 at 10:03 AM.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I bet if you ever built a car, it would have different shape wheels, (square ?), just to see if it worked.

The forum will make a designer of you yet.

Just not sure a designer of what

Keep experimenting, but learn from your mistakes, and from advice.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
I bet if you ever built a car, it would have different shape wheels, (square ?), just to see if it worked.

The forum will make a designer of you yet.

Just not sure a designer of what

Keep experimenting, but learn from your mistakes, and from advice.
very good advice, i learned a very good lesson from building out of cardboard... just dont unless its a pizzabox flier lol
Nov 09, 2017, 11:32 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by batata003
Hi,

@balsa or carbon kindly sent me some nice electronics that I really needed ( \o/ ) and I am starting to work with them so I can get the most fun of them!

So I started building a very tiny small rc plane. I will use 2 brushed motors in each side of the wing, will I really need to use a rudder and an elevator? If I balance very well the CG I can climb/go down my plane only using the throttle and if I want to turn to any side I can create a difference in throttle of both motors. What do you think? Is it gonna work?

One more question: in the plane that I built (video below) do you think that making the horizontal wing of the tail bigger is gonna help with lift?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/znb2ETaMaOMNWrIs2

I have 4 of the 2 motors below, what motor do you think would be better in this plane? The small one of the big one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/prDxHiWRrZbJOu8X2

One final question: do you think I should make this wing bigger or you think it has a good size to be flown using only 2 motors?

Gil , the micro brick is a Printed Circuit Board ( PCB ) with the receiver , brushed ESC and two servos all built in . There are no plugs on it for the various RX channels , so it would be almost impossible to mix differential thrust for two motors . If I were you , I would DEFINITELY use the two servos for rudder/elevator . To fly without elevator , you would have to carefully make your turns with the wings almost level .... not easy to do .

For a slow flyer , I would use the motor with the gearbox and larger prop .

Its best to fly your micro plane indoors , since the slightest breeze outdoors can take a micro plane ( and its electronics ) away like a feather on the wind ..... ask me how I know .

Here is an RCG thread for planes made with a micro brick :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...icks-in-planes
Nov 09, 2017, 11:49 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Here is a very simple plane made with micro electronics used for vectored thrust , the servos move the motor/prop left & right and up & down . This adds zero weight to the rear ( no pushrods going to rudder/elevator ) , but the motor/prop need to be spinning to have directional control .

Also , the balloon airframe is VERY much crash proof !

Balloons flyer 風船飛行機 (2 min 1 sec)
Nov 09, 2017, 12:50 PM
Potato003
@Extreme Sports hahah, I always try the cheapest of the chepeast approach and it sometimes is not conventional haha I am excited that you confirmed I dont need rudder and elevator to a small plane with 2 motors! I will give it a try without elevator/rudder and if it does not work well I will follow your suggestion of firstly adding only rudder and check the result! balsa or carbon was very kind to send me electronic components that would help me with this hobby, I already broke too many things here and have really few spare! He boosted me with joy with his donation, so I am very anxious to do new things!

@Extreme Sports thanks for your advice, I rebuilt the plane with a bigger horizontal stabilizer at the tail, I didnt know its job was to help with pitch You can see the old plane and the new below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/huxbWIWQxPRraznq2

I made also the wing bigger. I inserted 2 motors in the wing as you said and as soon as I install a receiver I will give it a try.

FOR NOW I tried running this plane with only one motor! It flies I barely gave it a push and it flown on its own till hit a wall ;( It's not a big deal but I am getting more confident, now that one motor looks promising I will try turn on 2 motors later.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1G5Mwzpk4bAWi1HH2

@eflightray I already built an RC car hahahah and the wheels were round! I liked your idea, when I have a spare motor I will make one with square wheels! I will keep learning with my mistakes, as you said, and mostly with this amazing community's advices! In the video below the link is pointing directly to the rc car timeline but if you want you can see others of my rc stupid projects that didnt go too far at the beginning of the video! This RC car was built with arduino.

Car walking in the road:

https://youtu.be/Bpavq4eUvaY?t=5m43s

Construction:

https://youtu.be/Bpavq4eUvaY?t=2m17s

@balsa or carbon I just read your comment now! So I will stick with only a motor and will use the rudder and elevator as you said so I can use the board you sent me! Indeed, making a turn without elevator will be not easy (I discovered that flying in the simulator that when I make a turn, if I want to make it tight I need also elevator to help with that). I will not fly outside to avoid losing the plane but I will try to find a better place to fly. My uncle's apartment is medium size but he stuffed it with too much furniture so I have no good big space to fly indoors. I will give it a try to the garage of this apartment, maybe it's better!

@balsa or carbon thanks also to point me to the "'Cheap' heli bricks in planes" thread! It's very detailed and will read that carefully before installing the board you gave me! I will try to change the motor to use the one that is geared, as you said, and see if it flies better. So far the small motor worked fine but of course I didnt add the weight of the board you sent me and other things!

@balsa or carbon the baloon plane is great idea! It's crash proof and does not add weight! I will think about that and check what is gonna be easier to me! People are so freaking creative these days... hahaha
Nov 09, 2017, 01:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you can find a toy RC plane at a store where you live , most of them use differential thrust with two motors . You could take the electronics out and put them in your own airframe , that's what I did with this micro :

First working homemade living room flyer (0 min 19 sec)
Nov 09, 2017, 02:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Here is my best flying micro , flying outside in front of my house .

Homemade micro rc slowflyer (3 min 49 sec)

Here it is flying inside a church :

Homemade indoor slowflyer (1 min 16 sec)
Nov 10, 2017, 11:48 AM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon that plane of yours looks like the first planes I tried building a few years ago using a rubber band! I didnt know you could use electric motors with that! Really beautiful! It flying indoor is amazing, I want to do exactly like that You flying it inside a church is funny but it flies very well to my untrained eyes!

So, I got veeeery excited with these small planes cause I can try different concepts (big wing, big chord, angle the horizontal stabilizer in relative position to the main wing...) and implement the good ones in big planes!

Yesterday night I built one more ezfly and today morning I started building 2 more small planes! I used the foam from recycable dishes and it's very strong. It does not have the paper stuck to it as the american foam but it is solid

I made 2, one big and one small. Which one you think I should try first with the v911 board?

If you want to take a close look here is the video of the 2 planes -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vyx8KvAqviR0uCT13

I am using a big motor as @balsa or carbon suggested (from a syma cheap drone that I got without battery) and it provides lots of thrust, I turned it on and it escaped my hand and hitted the window and almost flew away from my room!
Nov 10, 2017, 01:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by batata003
@balsa or carbon that plane of yours looks like the first planes I tried building a few years ago using a rubber band! I didnt know you could use electric motors with that! Really beautiful! It flying indoor is amazing, I want to do exactly like that You flying it inside a church is funny but it flies very well to my untrained eyes!

So, I got veeeery excited with these small planes cause I can try different concepts (big wing, big chord, angle the horizontal stabilizer in relative position to the main wing...) and implement the good ones in big planes!

Yesterday night I built one more ezfly and today morning I started building 2 more small planes! I used the foam from recycable dishes and it's very strong. It does not have the paper stuck to it as the american foam but it is solid

I made 2, one big and one small. Which one you think I should try first with the v911 board?

If you want to take a close look here is the video of the 2 planes -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vyx8KvAqviR0uCT13

I am using a big motor as @balsa or carbon suggested (from a syma cheap drone that I got without battery) and it provides lots of thrust, I turned it on and it escaped my hand and hitted the window and almost flew away from my room!
The larger plane looks ready to go with the v911 board !

If it turns out to be too heavy , you can save weight by making a foam skeleton frame , and covering the wing & tail feathers with very lightweight plastic film . ↓
Nov 11, 2017, 12:46 PM
Al,

I'm envious you get to fly at church!

I would love to give my planes a go at our church. Can't tell you how many times I have thought about doing touch and gos off that stage!

Brad
Nov 11, 2017, 12:55 PM
I did manage about 15 minutes each, on these guys early this morning. I hat the helmet cam rollin',
So will try to throw a quick edit together later.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Al,

I'm envious you get to fly at church!

I would love to give my planes a go at our church. Can't tell you how many times I have thought about doing touch and gos off that stage!

Brad
Looks like plenty of room at your church !

I was at a local hobby shop when I saw a leaflet on the counter for indoor flying at that church . I went to the next session and there was 4 people flying tiny helis . No one had a plane , so I was the first one to fly a plane in that church .
Nov 11, 2017, 01:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
I did manage about 15 minutes each, on these guys early this morning. I hat the helmet cam rollin',
So will try to throw a quick edit together later.
Cartoon style sure is fun !