Small foam rc plane! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 18, 2017, 09:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by batata003
@balsa or carbon now I got it! The wind has to be diverted up so it pushes the plane up. I thought I could fly like that in anywhere that is very windy... So the wind has to go up, I dont think I can find a place nearby The video you posted sometimes looks like it is fast forward of so fast the plane moves, incredible skills! And the guys fly inverted like if it was piece of cake! I get very inspired by this videos, thanks for sharing!
Some VERY light and VERY efficient gliders can fly with very little slope . But a good thermal sailplane glider can gain altitude and fly for a LONG time with just rising warm air . My first RC plane was a glider ( Gentle Lady ) , sometimes it would catch thermals and it would be difficult for me to bring it back down !

Here is a light , efficient slope glider flying at a dam with very little slope :

Dam fun flying (4 min 23 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2017, 07:28 AM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon I was impressed with how such a small slope produced so much lift! It does not look easy but it's impressing, flying with minimmum power! I have so many things in my to-do list into this hobby and this was just added!

I got 4 days off this week so I will dedicate to learn better to fly and dive into new projects!
Nov 22, 2017, 05:53 AM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon You wont believe, with all my anxiety we had terrible windy days! Today winds are at 35 Km/h and tomorrow at 28 Km/h here in Florianópolis.

So I had to go to the garage of the building to try to fly. I was trying to fly it inside the apartment where I live but I always crashed it on a furniture or wall. Here is the video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5NnpMaS7RDzhVNQF2

The picture is attached. I will say you one thing: this V911 board is A M A Z I N G! Every beginner should start with it! The build process is very simple, fast and cheap. The installation of the board is ridiculously simple and it's veeery fun to use it! I am already building a new one using a circle styrofoam with minimmum cuts. I disassembled the plane above and today I will build a new one with more flying area!

I understand that the bigger the aspect ratio of the wing it's more efficient and glides better but now I will try with an aspect ratio of 1:1, do you think it's gonna be stable? I will add dyhedral to the tips of the circle but I am afraid it will not be easy to fly.

Anyway, I fell in love with this V911 board! I even 3d printed a support for it so I could attach the support using screws (already provided with the V911 board @balsa or carbon sent me) and glued the support to the plane, protecting the electronics! As soon as I finish this other small plane and fly with it I will post you back! If you have any design suggestions that I could try I would be glad to take it!
Nov 22, 2017, 01:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I'm so glad the v911 board worked for you ! Looks like your plane flew well in the garage , especially considering the tight space . If you can ever fly your micro in that large gym , that would be fantastic !

My favorite 3 channel scratch built plane ( besides the EzFly and SE ) is the Smart Dart , I think it would make an excellent micro for flying indoors . With the swept leading edge on the wing and dihedral it is VERY stable , especially in high alpha ( nose up ) . And it is very easy to make with only straight edges . Here are the plans ( that work for ANY size ) PDF file : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&d=1297678383
A very important part of the plans is the 2º angle ↓ on the bottom that gives the wing positive incidence relative to the horizontal stabilizer .
Nov 23, 2017, 01:31 PM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon yeap I am having lots of fun with this v911! Today earlier I built another plane with the v911 and as soon the time gets better I will record and post you! I will call the guy from the gynasium to check if I can go this weekend there!

The Smart Dart looks very easy to build, I will surely give it a try! The PDF is very simple and easy to print, I will remember the 2º angle so I get it right!
Nov 25, 2017, 03:30 PM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon I did another model with the V911 and it flied amazing today! The wind stopped for a while so I went to the park and started flying! I am veeeeery happy! IT'S SO MUCH FUN!!!!! And as you see I made a very simple plane with a cheese styrofoam and I am very surprised how well it worked!

Now I am gonna try a new model with large wings and see what works better! I am also working in the 11'' prop plane and soon I will post you pictures of my beagle version of the plane!

I am very happy, this v911 board is surprisingly amazing! Thank you so much!!!
Nov 25, 2017, 04:25 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
@balsa or carbon I did another model with the V911 and it flied amazing today! The wind stopped for a while so I went to the park and started flying! I am veeeeery happy! IT'S SO MUCH FUN!!!!! And as you see I made a very simple plane with a cheese styrofoam and I am very surprised how well it worked!

Now I am gonna try a new model with large wings and see what works better! I am also working in the 11'' prop plane and soon I will post you pictures of my beagle version of the plane!

I am very happy, this v911 board is surprisingly amazing! Thank you so much!!!
Photos and video ?!?!? Please !
Nov 27, 2017, 10:25 AM
Potato003
III AMMMM SO SORRY I FORGOT THE VIDEO!!! Here is the video that I recorded last saturday -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/KV5znsBLtrF1zimq2

@balsa or carbon would you mind taking a look at my reply in this thread below? You are an expert in ezfly and I think your opinion in the beagle plane I built will be very important. I spent the last days building this "ezfly plane similar" but now I am afraid it will not fly right.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post38688918

NOTE: I will start building the Smart Dart tomorrow so I will keep you updated!
Nov 27, 2017, 02:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
III AMMMM SO SORRY I FORGOT THE VIDEO!!! Here is the video that I recorded last saturday -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/KV5znsBLtrF1zimq2

@balsa or carbon would you mind taking a look at my reply in this thread below? You are an expert in ezfly and I think your opinion in the beagle plane I built will be very important. I spent the last days building this "ezfly plane similar" but now I am afraid it will not fly right.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post38688918

NOTE: I will start building the Smart Dart tomorrow so I will keep you updated!
NICE .... you built a NutBall !!!
Thanks for the video .... looks like you're having LOTS of fun flying !

I have never built or flown a Beagle , so I don't know anything about it . But based on what I see in the photos , it looks like the wooden stick tail might have a problem with flex , twisting , and keeping the empennage in proper alignment with the wing , etc . .... especially with the weight of the servos ALSO at the rear of the wooden stick .

Are you building a Smart Dart for the v911 brick , or larger components ?
Nov 28, 2017, 11:39 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Gil : judging by that video of you flying the little NutBall , I think you have developed the muscle memory necessary to fly a NON self-righting plane ..... I recommend a Simplest Simple Delta or Pizza Box Flyer . The PBF is 4 channel .... I learned to fly NON self-righting with a PBF 7 years ago .

PBF thread :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...A-videos-plans

PbF Cool Pizza Box Flyer (9 min 21 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Nov 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
Nov 29, 2017, 02:44 PM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon it's called NutBall? kkk I didnt know! I googled it and found many beautiful planes just like NutBall! People probably already invented everything!

@balsa or carbon I will build the Smart Dart BUT I first decided to make another plane! See video below. Please turn down the volume of your speaker cause an unknown guy came to talk to me while I was flying and I had to answer him so the audio got very loud.

VIDEO: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssmnYxmFxYvWpDei2

I wanted to know how differently the same motor, prop, servos... behave in 2 planes: one with really small wing like the NutBall (low aspect ratio) and one with a bit wig (high aspect ratio). So now I decided to make another plane with really big wings (compared to the NutBall) and I learned that if you want to save power you must use a big wing (high aspect ratio!). This plane that I flown lasted 13 minutes with the lipo battery of my neighbour compared to almost 8 of the nutball!!! Same flight characteristics, slow and close to stall everytime so I could compare the duration of flight.

You can see my wing shape is very "different". I had to do so cause I can only buy thin styrofoam that comes in a circle, so I divided it in 2 and cutted 2 poles and used them as dyhedral! IT worked amazingly well! I realy cant believe how well a "scratch never tested plane" worked! Of course you have already seen many small planes fly better than this one I made but I think that for an "untested" wing shape it worked very well! I am very happy that mostly anything can fly if it has a right CG!

@balsa or carbon I like a lot the squared plane you showed me in the video! I think I can try it!!!! It looks very easy to build and adding th forth channel with be a great learning experience! I still want to make the Smart Dart but as soon as I make it I will give this squared plane a try, it's also very fun to see a square plane flying! My audience here in the park will like it

@balsa or carbon I am also worried about what you said of my beagle, indeed the barbecue sticks may twist in flight! Anyway, I will wait the wind calm down so I can try it.

@balsa or carbon I bought some more thin styrofoam (the circle one) and today I decided I will make a plane with the small brushless motor you gave me! That motor is so cute, the esc and servos are so small!!! I have to do something with them. I will try a design of myself now that I am very excited! I will try to make a plane having Beagle + EzFly as base for the plane. I really want to give this small brushless motor a proper plane, it is asking for it! Tomorrow or afer it I will send you the pictures of my new plane using the small brushless motor! Dont worry, I already hot glued the wires to the motor axis/shaft so I dont damage them!

@balsa or carbon, sorry for this long text and if you could just explain me one thing it would be of a great help: for some reason I flown A LOT with my SYMA X5C's brushed motor using the V911 board you sent me. It was always very slow flights, never needed more than 60% of thurst (even with the nutball). My question is this: for some reason 2 of the motors of the SYMA X5C dont work anymore, after around 10 minutes of flight with each motor they lost a lot their power and even with a completely recharged battery they dont spin as fast anymore. SO I decided to give it a try with the brushed motor you sent me. I flied AT LEAST 2 hours with it (yesterday and today, recharging several times the battery) and it is working perfectly. In the park there is very little wind so I can fly these small planes but I dont understand why the SYMA motors lost so much power. Do you know where I could buy this exactly same motor? A guy told me that I was using the SYMA X5C motor inverted but as I see that brushed motors dont have problem spinning both sides... right? That's also why I want to start building today a plane with the small brushless plane you sent me, I know brushed motors dont last a lot and I really liked flying in the park slowly without being worried of falling in the water!
Nov 29, 2017, 03:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
@balsa or carbon it's called NutBall? kkk I didnt know! I googled it and found many beautiful planes just like NutBall! People probably already invented everything!

@balsa or carbon I will build the Smart Dart BUT I first decided to make another plane! See video below. Please turn down the volume of your speaker cause an unknown guy came to talk to me while I was flying and I had to answer him so the audio got very loud.

VIDEO: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssmnYxmFxYvWpDei2

I wanted to know how differently the same motor, prop, servos... behave in 2 planes: one with really small wing like the NutBall (low aspect ratio) and one with a bit wig (high aspect ratio). So now I decided to make another plane with really big wings (compared to the NutBall) and I learned that if you want to save power you must use a big wing (high aspect ratio!). This plane that I flown lasted 13 minutes with the lipo battery of my neighbour compared to almost 8 of the nutball!!! Same flight characteristics, slow and close to stall everytime so I could compare the duration of flight.

You can see my wing shape is very "different". I had to do so cause I can only buy thin styrofoam that comes in a circle, so I divided it in 2 and cutted 2 poles and used them as dyhedral! IT worked amazingly well! I realy cant believe how well a "scratch never tested plane" worked! Of course you have already seen many small planes fly better than this one I made but I think that for an "untested" wing shape it worked very well! I am very happy that mostly anything can fly if it has a right CG!

@balsa or carbon I like a lot the squared plane you showed me in the video! I think I can try it!!!! It looks very easy to build and adding th forth channel with be a great learning experience! I still want to make the Smart Dart but as soon as I make it I will give this squared plane a try, it's also very fun to see a square plane flying! My audience here in the park will like it

@balsa or carbon I am also worried about what you said of my beagle, indeed the barbecue sticks may twist in flight! Anyway, I will wait the wind calm down so I can try it.

@balsa or carbon I bought some more thin styrofoam (the circle one) and today I decided I will make a plane with the small brushless motor you gave me! That motor is so cute, the esc and servos are so small!!! I have to do something with them. I will try a design of myself now that I am very excited! I will try to make a plane having Beagle + EzFly as base for the plane. I really want to give this small brushless motor a proper plane, it is asking for it! Tomorrow or afer it I will send you the pictures of my new plane using the small brushless motor! Dont worry, I already hot glued the wires to the motor axis/shaft so I dont damage them!

@balsa or carbon, sorry for this long text and if you could just explain me one thing it would be of a great help: for some reason I flown A LOT with my SYMA X5C's brushed motor using the V911 board you sent me. It was always very slow flights, never needed more than 60% of thurst (even with the nutball). My question is this: for some reason 2 of the motors of the SYMA X5C dont work anymore, after around 10 minutes of flight with each motor they lost a lot their power and even with a completely recharged battery they dont spin as fast anymore. SO I decided to give it a try with the brushed motor you sent me. I flied AT LEAST 2 hours with it (yesterday and today, recharging several times the battery) and it is working perfectly. In the park there is very little wind so I can fly these small planes but I dont understand why the SYMA motors lost so much power. Do you know where I could buy this exactly same motor? A guy told me that I was using the SYMA X5C motor inverted but as I see that brushed motors dont have problem spinning both sides... right? That's also why I want to start building today a plane with the small brushless plane you sent me, I know brushed motors dont last a lot and I really liked flying in the park slowly without being worried of falling in the water!

There is a LONG thread for the NutBall , you should post your video there :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-RET-foamy-yet

The plane in your video flies well , but I can see the tail twisting sometimes .... I'm guessing because of the boom ( stick ) tail .

I don't use brushed motors much , but I've heard the brushes can wear out fast . You can probably get more motors at Banggood , or look for a toy quadcopter at local stores . And yes , they can spin either CW or CCW by reversing the polarity .

The small brushless motor , ESC , servos and 2S batteries will probably work well for a lightweight Smart Dart or Pizza Box Flyer . I used those same electronics on my NutBall :

26" Nutball RC plane (1 min 49 sec)

Here is a plane made with all circles :

3circle flyer (1 min 41 sec)
Nov 29, 2017, 05:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:

That website you linked in your other thread has Syma motors :

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...kit-c-4-un-_JM
Nov 30, 2017, 09:38 AM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon thanks for pointing me to that thread of the nutball! I will make a nicer nutball and will post a video there For now my nutball is not beautiful so I will make a nicer one!

I took a look at the nutball you built with the small motor and it flies very slowly, exactly what I like! Cant believe that low aspect ratio made such a nice flight! But the size of your plane (circle) probably is twice mine, I will try increasing the size! You even put wheels on your plane! Very nice!

The 3 circle plane you showed me I think is a great build for my next project! Even before the Smart Dart cause it's very easy (only 3 circles) and hor/vertical stabilizer! It looks like an insect!

@balsa or carbon as I promised yesterday I used the motor you gave me (same you used in the nutball) and built a small beagle + ezfly + something else plane! See it here -> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post38722345

I took care of the wires and glued then to the axis of the motor and it worked great, it will last forever! I really enjoyed playing with this small plane, much easier to build, not much dust in my room and cheap! Also it flies slowly which I love! What did you think of it?
Nov 30, 2017, 10:07 AM
Potato003
@balsa or carbon actually the hardest thing to make was to transform this small motor into a pushed cause when I inverted the prop the prop adapter couldnt get inside the other side of the prop. So I had to drill a hole to make the prop hole larger. But now I am seeing a problem: the rubber band is touching the sharp edge of the prop, do you think it might cut itself in the air?

One more thing: this rubber band looks a little dry, do you know if there is any home product that I can use in the rubber band to hidrate it?

Quick Reply