Nov 09, 2017, 08:46 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

uOSD World smallest micro OSD

As more and more people using mine uOSD on their micro indoor quads, I think it will be useful to make a thread for sharing experience and issues.

It is smallest OSD in the World, weights practically nothing (mine 0.1gr scales shows 0gr)
The PCB size is 8.8X6mm
Name: Assembled_MCU_side.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 43.9 KB
Description:

Of course it is very basic OSD. I planed to use it on mine small indoor FPV quads like Eachine H8 mini to monitor Battery voltage.

Currently, functionality is:
  • Supports 1S-4S battery monitoring. (Changing onboard voltage divider can be extended for bigger batteries.)
  • Adjustable text position.
  • Shows current voltage and minimal detected voltage.
  • Pilot name, Crosshair and timer.
  • Voltage blinking if battery running low.
  • Supply voltage 3.3-5.5v.
  • Low supply current, no heat generation.
  • It is very small size (8.8mm X 6mm).
  • Virtually weights nothing.
  • Configurable parameters via compiling.

More information is on GitHub:

Sample video while flying (V1):
AlienWhoop with B-uOSD Testing (4 min 37 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2017, 01:17 AM
Fantastic!! Killer work nppc !!
Nov 18, 2017, 11:45 PM
Damn, that's cool!
Nov 29, 2017, 10:44 AM
Cool project! But I dont get the it, according to the schematic thereis only one IC - ATTINY13A, but on the PCB there are two - one on the top and another on the bottomn side of the PCB. Please lighten me up - what is what?
Nov 29, 2017, 10:49 AM
I think it's the LMH1980. Listed here:
https://github.com/nppc/B-uOSD/blob/master/BOM.md
Nov 29, 2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks, missed that.
Nov 29, 2017, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
There is V2 in development with only one IC. Maybe you looked to the development version?
Nov 29, 2017, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppc
There is V2 in development with only one IC. Maybe you looked to the development version?
Hmm... if you follow the link to the gitHub youll find there rendered pictures with two IC's on the both sides of the PCB. Also title says it is V2.0... so I got confused... and now I'm even more confused...

Edit: A little bit of effort and I found it: https://github.com/nppc/B-uOSD/issues/13
This is 10 times better than expensive LMH1980.
Never found time to complete DIY OSD from Dennis Frie, so this could be my redemption!
Last edited by montis; Nov 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Nov 29, 2017, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Heh... Most probably I need to revise the github readme...
Actually we need to name it V3 maybe?
Nov 29, 2017, 01:09 PM
I'm confused. In this diagram:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/np...ection_AIO.jpg

You only show 1 video connection. Is that the correct set up?

Also, what is the advantage of a sync separator vs no sync separator? Is it possible that with a more powerful micro on here a graphical OSD could be done? I can't do assembly, but I would love to mess around with some C code.
Nov 29, 2017, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Yes, connection diagram is correct. With this OSD you do not need to cut video signal. The OSD seats directly on video line. Both video pads on board is interconnected.

Regarding more powerful MCU. Fishpepper already working on full featured OSD with stm32 MCU.
Mine idea is to make as small as possible and as light as possible OSD to use it on micro quads like mine uMücke.
Nov 29, 2017, 01:19 PM
So does your OSD work by driving the video line high at the correct spots? That's why it only can show white? And yes I know about fishpeppers I Just want to play with something myself. Is fishpepper planning on using a sync separator or is he doing it all in hardware?
Nov 29, 2017, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Yes, it driving video line directly.

I don't have any more information about fishpepper design.
I think there is not much difference with or without sync separator IC. If MCU is fast enough and has DMA like stm32, then graphics OSD is possible.
Nov 29, 2017, 05:55 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Soldering such a tiny board will be tricky. Amazing though, OSD on Tiny Whoop with zero weight penalty.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 30, 2017, 04:10 AM
Thread OP
I made for me small ceramic heating plate (4x4cm). With this plate and solder paste soldering is very easy.
1. Just apply a solder paste to the pads (it is not necessary to apply exactly on the pads, it can be quite dirty).
2. Place components on their places (don't need to be very precise).
3. Place the PCB on the heater and turn it on.
4. After 2-3 minutes everything is done.

This plate have advantages over the oven.
If you see that components are moved from their places, then use tooth-stick to align them while solder is wet.
If you see that on some places you have not enough solder, you can add a bit with tooth-stick while heater is hot.

And I tried to make double sided boards with this. it works too.

Quick Reply