Waterproofing XT60, SD card slot and USB ports - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 06:17 AM
Discussion

Waterproofing XT60, SD card slot and USB ports

lately i saw a lot of video regarding waterproofing of quads with conformal coating / corrosion x

I live in Dubai and here none of the two is available but i've manged to get a 55ml bottle of MG Silicone Conformal Coating.
As you can imagine Dubai is not rainy at all, however the only areas where there is grass are constantly watered.

Moreover there are also some nice place with some water lakes that could be nice to "explore".

I was planning to use conformal coating on all the equipment but how can i waterproof XT60, USB port and SD card slot?
Did some one actually managed to get a fully submersible quad?

Please remember that i dont have corrosion x.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 09:48 AM
Use Vaseline or another form of dielectric grease. When the contacts push into each other they'll push the grease out of the way to make contact, but be careful with high current connectors like the xt60 just cover the outside generously.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:34 PM
FA3PR9WM79
By definition you cannot "water proof" any of those components.

Buy a Submarine...
Nov 09, 2017, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't bother "Waterproofing" If you crash in water you have two problems: Finding it and then drying it out. In most cases things will survive a dunking.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:49 PM
Ok.. thanks
Will you suggest to remove as far as possible any connectors and solder single wires?
For example radio receiver, connector on vtx etc
Nov 09, 2017, 11:26 PM
FA3PR9WM79
No I won't. Water proofing a hobby grade aircraft and its electronics is a myth and a supreme waste of time, money, and effort. I have neither the time nor even the most remote inclination to participate in such foolishness.

If you want to explore underwater, buy a submarine.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:37 AM
You have angered the gazer. Haha.

If I'm going to fly in dew or near moisture I just carefully quickly spray my quad down with a layer of silicon lubricant. That's more than enough to prevent moisture malfunctions for the short term.
Don't get any on the motors or camera.

Also I'm curious, when you said you wanted to explore the lake did you mean to say you actually want the quad to go under water?
Nov 10, 2017, 10:17 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain
You have angered the gazer. Haha.
Sometimes you just have to smack 'em between the runnin' lights to get their attention and make them realize that sometimes "NO" is the correct answer.

Personally I don't fly "when its damp" (read precipitating). I always wait for the dew to burn off so I know I won't have trouble with condensation, and flying over a body of water is a big BoZo No-No.

And, FWIW, the only water tight electrical fittings I have ever seen were the external hull penetrations on a nuclear submarine. They use high dollar "Level 1" fittings and the external cable connection is covered with pressure molded polyurethane.