Lazybee - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2017, 03:11 AM
Discussion

Lazybee

Built a Lazybee from plans(mostly)... Not sure if this is the best place to post. No recent threads on this model so here goes....

Made a few changes from original design. Cargo only so no passenger windows. 40" wing- top spar is flat almost to the tips. Bottom has the normal polyhedral in the last two bays. Moved the h-stab to the top of the fuse. Made some alterations to the nose to enclose the motor.

Maiden flight today went perfectly. A couple clicks of trim. Several touch and goes and landed without any issues. More pics from the build if there is interest.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 09:38 AM
There's always interest in a Lazy Bee!

Andy
Nov 09, 2017, 03:27 PM
Started with a second hand manual and set of plans that had already been built over. Fuse sides framed up and joined. I did not use the miles of laminated 1/8 sq called for. Instead I used larger @3/8x1/8 hard balsa for the bottom longerons and 3/16 sq. spruce for the top. 3/16 sq for most of the spreaders.

Brian
Nov 09, 2017, 03:31 PM
A man with too many toys
Are kits still available?
Nov 09, 2017, 03:39 PM
Kits have not been available for years. But there's a huge thread in Fuel Plane Talk that has all the plans for all versions in it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?916960

Steve
Nov 09, 2017, 03:43 PM
Added a lower tray that runs from the firewall back to the "C" station. And an upper that runs firewall to "B" station. Axle box epoxied in. Some ribs to help shape the bottom nose. Dash former in the cabin area to form the top, already covered up in these pics. Lastly, first mockup of the motor position, and the cheeks(jowls?) glued in place. Cant see in the pics but I added tri-stock to all of the joints behind the axle box and in the nose/firewall area.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:56 PM
Hatch doors on both sides. Some infilling below the bottom tray and the bottom sheeted from firewall to tailpost. Also added crossgrain sheeting to all the crossmember stations to stiffen it up a bit. And the motor cowling is in place - I'll find some pics of how I did that. Some servos and pushrods. And the last one?? ? Andy??
Nov 09, 2017, 04:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Ken's CAD Models has foam Lazy Cub kits : https://www.kenscadmodels.com/product-page/lazy-cub
Nov 09, 2017, 10:51 PM
Rough lamination of the rudder. Then some framing and trimming to the final outline shape. One half of the horiz. tail. I chose to laminate the entire outline (in halves) rather than using sheet stock for the fixed portion. R/E both started as 1/4" thick for the laminations but ended up 3/16" tapered to 1/8" TE after final sanding.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:16 PM
H-stab/elev... Ready to separate.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:45 PM
Experimental tail gear. I've done a couple planes with similar geometry but this one incorporates some spring . What seems to be the norm for tail gear geometry makes no sense to me. Discuss if you want...
Nov 09, 2017, 11:54 PM
Rough cut ribs. Sanded and notched for spars. Center section glued up on bottom spar.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:51 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Just download the plans from the RCG thread quoted above. There are only 6 or 8 ribs in the wing and about a half dozen other "cut-out" pieces. The majority of a Bee is sticks.

Definitely do the laminated wing tips and tail feather frames. They are quick and easy to make and come out strong and light, and will outlast the rest of the plane. They're made from layers of strip stock, soaked in water for 15-30 minutes, glued with original formula Titebond and wrapped around a foam template. You do need to let them dry over night - so lay up a wing tip and the tail feathers first, and start on the fuselage while they're drying. Next night, start by laying up the second wing tip.

- Roger
Nov 10, 2017, 02:22 PM
Wingtip lamination. The plan shape of these didn't work quite right with the flat upper surface I wanted. I was able to use them still, just needed to section a few inches out of the very tip, and bring the ends together at the spar. I made the wing bolt on with one bolt between the spar and LE and one just ahead of the TE.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:59 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
Many to choose from at Outerzone

https://outerzone.co.uk/search/resul...yword=lazy+bee