Nov 18, 2017, 04:34 PM
Retired CAD guy
Got my parts removed from the original sheeting JUST before a nasty Cold front approached
threatening Lighting and very Hi Beaufort levels !
It's still blowing like heck., with bird feeders hanging at near 45deg angles !!! yikes !
So far I still have power tho, crossing fingers !

Taping, rolling, shaping, gluing will have to wait till later.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2017, 04:46 PM
Blown away by the skill and attention to detail here. Proper thin sheet foam is expensive/scarce where I'm from (hence my preference for scavenged polystyrene) but this almost makes me want to give it a go! Best wishes for the maiden flight.
Nov 18, 2017, 05:49 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Cheers guys, its quite a quick build once you have all the parts cut out

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsmock
Blown away by the skill and attention to detail here. Proper thin sheet foam is expensive/scarce where I'm from (hence my preference for scavenged polystyrene) but this almost makes me want to give it a go! Best wishes for the maiden flight.
Thomas, have you thought about HK foam (this is what I have used for the wings) its very cheap and quite reasonable shipping cost .. I can land it here in Oz for about $4 a sheet .. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...0mm-white.html the sheet sizes are actually 1000 x 700mm

Bob .. I hope we are going to see some build pics !!

Lockey
Nov 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thanks Tony.

Is the "new" HK depron alternative better than the original ?

I have a whole box of cheezey softish , yellowish HK foam
wasting away somewhere in storage.
Nov 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
skumgummi dave
Really awesome build Lockey!

Dave-
Nov 18, 2017, 06:54 PM
Cheers for the link, Lockey, that is indeed cheaper than what I'd pay here in NZ... I'll stick to my "salmon flyers" for a little while more as I'm pretty skint at the moment and it's hard to beat "free", but this will come in handy in the future. There's a lot of foamboard builds on these forums I've been eyeing up for the past six months!
Nov 18, 2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dave

Bob, if you have a look at the pic you will see, not much difference in colour to the "real" Depron .. roll over front wing is made from HK foam and all the rest is made from real Depron .. I prefer the Depron for formers and flat wings, ailerons etc but the HK foam is good for roll over wings but it is a lot softer and squishier

The MPF that you use (I have some here) is somewhere in the middle .. between real Depron and HK foam

Not sure why you guys stopped using the real Depron ??

Lockey
Nov 18, 2017, 09:45 PM
Retired CAD guy
Agree with your assessment of MPF vs Depron and HK.

Selitek, the German maker of Real Depron, withdrew from the USA market.
The USA "sole importer" was left with no choices, as were their customers.
And their withdraw was prefaced by a rash of Poor quality product.
The Black ( grey) was always Poked, dented and non uniform.
Then the White became HARD, Warped and full of streaks and surface aberrations.

Those of us who lived thru that phase were almost Glad to see why and happier to see it GO .

MPF is my sole source for a quality foam product.
USA made and consistent quality material and dimensionally too !

Still , I Can not figure out WHY Depron seems to be available to the rest of the world.

Hmm, let's see now ...
HK is owned by a German guy, right ?
Selitek is a German Company, mostly interested in making under layment insulation.
The USA is likely a very large market % for HK who wants us to buy higher profit margin ARF's .
The USA, for some stupid reason, was blocking imported insulation.

Anyone care to speculate conspiratorially ? hmmmm

2 + 2 = ?
Last edited by birdofplay; Nov 18, 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Nov 18, 2017, 09:52 PM
Lockey you are a master of depron!
Nov 18, 2017, 10:47 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Lol... he's the Sketch-up Samurai and the Ninja of Depron!!
Nov 19, 2017, 12:12 AM
Careful guys, my head will be so big I wont be able to get through the door to the workshop

Well, here's some more build .. there seems to be some flex in the top wing, not sure if I should try and beef it up some ??

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Nov 19, 2017, 12:38 AM
I will be flying mine mostly off grass so not sure whether I should add these "skids to help keep the model square to the ground ?

Lockey
Nov 19, 2017, 01:09 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Great work Lockey!.... Yes those skids will work well I do the same on some of my models. Will stop the plane tipping over onto the wing tip
Nov 19, 2017, 02:33 AM
Thanks Duke

More build and ready for maiden

All up weight 890 grams with 1500 / 3s battery, Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Motor with 10 x 4.5 prop, 40 A ESC ... its a little bit lighter than I thought it would be

Have shown the Vampire beside it for size comparison .. she's a biggy

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 19, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Nov 19, 2017, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Still , I Can not figure out WHY Depron seems to be available to the rest of the world.

Hmm, let's see now ...
HK is owned by a German guy, right ?
Selitek is a German Company, mostly interested in making under layment insulation.
The USA is likely a very large market % for HK who wants us to buy higher profit margin ARF's .
The USA, for some stupid reason, was blocking imported insulation.

Anyone care to speculate conspiratorially ? hmmmm

2 + 2 = ?
Anthony Hands is Australian. Karen Wu does not sound particularly German either. I'll resist the temptation to comment further.

Lockey, sorry for the disruption. I really appreciate your builds.

Quick Reply