Copying fiberglass wheel pants - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 11:08 PM
Question

Copying fiberglass wheel pants

I have a question i currently have a fiberglass wheel pant and it only has been primered. Is it possible to coat the outside of the wheel pant with something and then lay fiberglass cloth cloth over the top to make a copy?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 08:59 AM
San Antonio TX.
Wax it, PVA it and go.

Bob
Nov 09, 2017, 11:07 AM
Scott
I'm thinking making a divider plate and making the mold in 2 halves might make it a little easier.

Scott
Nov 09, 2017, 11:17 AM
Pylonracr's advise is good, but you might also want to address the hole where the wheel sticks out. Are you goin to trim a raw hardened edge or make some other feature to the mold to give a molded line to trim to? How will you access the pant for joining the halves? A simple half- shell mold can become quite complex, real quick!
Nov 09, 2017, 09:07 PM
Pictures are worth 1,000 words.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:53 PM
Well my first attempt at making a copy went really bad. I took my wheel pant that was primered and waxed it then used PVA mold release and let that dry for 1 hour i checked it was completley dry. I then used very thin fiberglass cloth and Amazing clear cast resin i then added thicker fiberglass cloth and let the dry . When i went to remove the wheel pant from the fiberglass it was totally stuck it was a complete failure. I am going to have to try to sand the wheel pant and maybe i will use some kind of molding clay to make a mold and try that.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:08 PM
Odds are you used the wrong type of wax. Not all waxes are compatible with PVA.
Nov 13, 2017, 11:45 AM
plane destroyer and builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3arljam
Well my first attempt at making a copy went really bad. I took my wheel pant that was primered and waxed it then used PVA mold release and let that dry for 1 hour i checked it was completley dry. I then used very thin fiberglass cloth and Amazing clear cast resin i then added thicker fiberglass cloth and let the dry . When i went to remove the wheel pant from the fiberglass it was totally stuck it was a complete failure. I am going to have to try to sand the wheel pant and maybe i will use some kind of molding clay to make a mold and try that.
Based on bad experiences and good advices...

1. Give at least 3 coats of wax, and rub after each coat
2. Wait an all night after the first coat
3. Use industrial talc (thanks, Jim!) over the surface and blow it until the surface is clean (I use my fingers for this purpose)
4. Apply a PVA coat with a foam brush (thanks, Scott!) and wait a whole night again until it is completely dry.

Good luck!
Last edited by skybattle; Nov 13, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Nov 13, 2017, 12:14 PM
Thank you i will give it a try.
Nov 13, 2017, 01:45 PM
What wax is being used?
Nov 15, 2017, 09:51 PM

parting divider plate

As a parting divider plate I use shelf stock made of melamine. Then I use clay or perafin wax to seal it in