This thread is privately moderated by day o, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:56 PM
FPV = Cardio
Thread OP
Discussion

I tried some "cloud" surfing today.

tl;dr - It didn't end well.

Today was a day that I've been waiting for, ever since I started flying quadcopters. I've always wanted to launch into the fog, and punch it right out of the top into clear blue skies, (spoiler alert!) kind of like at the end of The Matrix - Part3. I burned a vacation day at work just to be able to do this. The stars weren't in perfect alignment though. My HawKeye Firefly Q6 wasn't fully charged. In fact, it ran out of juice a minute after I launched, but I was able to get some footage. The moisture or ice in the fog, I think, condensed on my HGLRC F4 V5Pro flight controller during the flight. Needless to say, she fell from the sky.

First thing to go was my FPV feed. After I was blinded, I ripped off my EV100 goggles to try to spot my X210, but the fog was too thick. I heard the general direction that it went down in, and so, the hunt was on. With no FC, I had no beeper. The field I fly in is overrun with native wild grass that grows to a meter high at its peak. I've had crashes where I'd flick on the buzzer and follow it all the way to within 1meter and still not see it until I was literally on top of it. I was mentally prepared to kiss her goodbye. Even if I had found her, there was the matter of the original source of the midflight outage. And then there was the small matter of falling 100' out of the sky and into 70mm of fresh snow. She was a worthy vessel, that's for sure. Definitely my favorite build. I was content with just getting any footage I can from the cam.

4hrs later I miraculously found it! From a monetary perspective, I was quite happy since I wouldn't have to re-purchase all of the components. But the quad had been powered on for 4hrs because unfortunately, the battery did not eject. It's a brand spanking new Tattu 1300mah 4S. It was at 5.5V when I found it. Ouch! This also paints a worse picture. Right after the crash, I had no RSSI or FPV. This means, the FC was plain dead. Sure enough, after letting it air dry for the rest of the afternoon, I took it out to the driveway just in case, and plugged in a 3S lipo. The ESCs did their initialization tune (da Da DA!) but no (da DA!). FC's dead.

After hopping online, this FC is now going for $10 more than when I originally purchased it. What is up with that???
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply