Can I run S.Port telemetry on Soft Serial? - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 10:07 PM
Discussion

Can I run S.Port telemetry on Soft Serial?

I am trying to find a place to hook up my S.Port telemetry. My only available pad is a Motor5 pad. I was hoping I could set it up as a soft serial TX and pipe my telemetry in there but It doesn't seem to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 10:04 AM
I run it on Soft Serial on my Wizard X220.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:04 AM
Well I'm just wondering if I can use S.Port telemetry from an RXSR over that soft serial or if the protocol is not compatible. I've read baud rate is an issue somewhere.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:27 AM
You can use S Port with R-XSR on Soft Serial. You need to select the Soft Serial option in Betaflight and then set up the port correctly in the ports tab.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:46 AM
Volt_Ampere do you know if there's any issue with baud/connection rate, or 2-way vs 1-way, Inverted/Uninverted or anything like that? I know not all I/O are created equial.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:54 PM
I did not have to mess with that. I just selected soft serial as a mode and set it up on the UART that I was connecting to. I did connect to both pins as recommended in a uTube video I watched and that worked for me. My quad is a Wizard X220 which has some sort of clone SpRacingF3 board.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:15 PM
You mean you connected it to both UART RX and TX? I don't have the option to do that as I only have 1 spare motor port so I have TX Only. Wonder if thats why mine doesn't seem to work
Nov 10, 2017, 04:00 PM
I connected mine to both Sonar Trigger and Sonar Echo on my FC. That ended up being Soft Serial 2 in Betaflight. I got my info from watching a couple different UTUBE videos. Watch this and see if it helps any:
Wizard x220 - Better Telemetry Setup - Softserial (5 min 32 sec)
Nov 10, 2017, 11:25 PM
For the most part smartport and softserial work with using just the tx port of that softserial.

Baud rates may be an issue if you are wanting to actively poll data on a regular basis.

If you need active data it would be best to try to get smartport on a regular uart.

My personal uses for smartport on softserial is generally just to change vtx channels and power. Beyond that I use mostly osd.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
For the most part smartport and softserial work with using just the tx port of that softserial.

Baud rates may be an issue if you are wanting to actively poll data on a regular basis.

If you need active data it would be best to try to get smartport on a regular uart.

My personal uses for smartport on softserial is generally just to change vtx channels and power. Beyond that I use mostly osd.
I think you are confusing Smart Port (Telemetry) and Smart Audio (VTX Control).
Nov 11, 2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
I think you are confusing Smart Port (Telemetry) and Smart Audio (VTX Control).
Nope. All my smartport rx's (xsr and xsr-m) are connected to the tx port only on softserial. My smartaudio (and irc tramp) vtx's are connected to my uart tx ports. No tx/rx bridges anywhere.

I use the lua script to change my vtx channels and power. Since I use osd for most of my data I don't need the high baud rate for smartport so I connect it to softserial and keep the actual uarts free for devices that require higher baud rates (whatever they may be).
Nov 11, 2017, 03:04 PM
My quadcopter is not a drone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
Nope. All my smartport rx's (xsr and xsr-m) are connected to the tx port only on softserial. My smartaudio (and irc tramp) vtx's are connected to my uart tx ports. No tx/rx bridges anywhere.

I use the lua script to change my vtx channels and power. Since I use osd for most of my data I don't need the high baud rate for smartport so I connect it to softserial and keep the actual uarts free for devices that require higher baud rates (whatever they may be).
SmartPort telemetry runs at a fixed 57,600 baud.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen
SmartPort telemetry runs at a fixed 57,600 baud.
Yes, I know. And softserial has had issues with devices that require higher than 19200 baud. It may have been updated/resolved especially with f3/f4/f7 boards.

However, my use case is that I am only using the telemetry (smartport) portion to change my vtx settings from my tx. So as far as the actual telemetry data I don't use it as long as my lua script receives data and changes my settings.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:10 PM
Soft Serial puts a much bigger load on the processor since it has to process the data packets bit by bit. You need enough extra bandwidth for it to be able to keep up. My SPRacingF3 seems to do ok but it probably wouldn't if I bumped up the sample rates.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
Soft Serial puts a much bigger load on the processor since it has to process the data packets bit by bit. You need enough extra bandwidth for it to be able to keep up. My SPRacingF3 seems to do ok but it probably wouldn't if I bumped up the sample rates.
Correct...which is why I stated if you wanted to poll data on a constant basis that you should use smartport on a uart and not through softserial.

I also stated in my use case that I don't actually use the telemetry data...I only use the data stream to change my vtx settings. I don't even do a sensor discovery when using smartport and softserial. As long as I can load my lua script and see/change my vtx settings that's all I need. For the most part my quad is disarmed on the ground when I am changing settings.

I also don't use accelerometer so the cpu load incurred by the softserial and smartport is still minor compared to having accelerometer simply enabled.