This thread is privately moderated by davidterrell80, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:54 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thread OP
Discussion

Remembering Bob Hoover

R.A. "Bob" Hoover flew his Ole Yeller in about 1964, at my first airshow. I shook his hand, a little kid ... and I never forgot him.

He seemed to always be there as I grew into my own career in aviation, making good memories for me. I saw him several more times before his health finally grounded him. The last time I saw him was at the Udvar-Hazy center in 2003, and I shook his hand.

He passed two years ago, and in an attempt to keep my memories alive a bit longer, I just converted my E-Flite "Dallas Doll" into one of the incarnations of "Ole Yeller".

I couldn't bring myself to put a pilot in the cockpit. it seemed a little wrong. My memory will fill the empty space... until we meet again... at the Master's Feet.
Latest blog entry: RCM Magazine Covers
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 09:39 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thought you might like this. The UMX Aero Commander in Bob Hoover livery.... Callie Graphics
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=456
Nov 08, 2017, 09:47 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thread OP
You're right, I do like that. I thought of the possibility the moment I saw the UMX Aero Commander. I'm glad someone followed up on it.
Nov 09, 2017, 01:11 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
The population of the world is divided into those of us who were lucky enough to see Bob fly, and the poor unfortunate pitiable creatures who did not.
It was lucky for me that he was banned from flying in the USA so he came to Oz where we are not so stupid.
I saw his Shrike routine in Tasmania and it is a treasured memory.
Nov 20, 2017, 06:27 PM
They call me Lipo...
You got me choked up with this one Dave....

Thanks for the blog....and it's great to see our Aussie friends chiming in here. Completely agree with Whiskers.....and I am BLESSED to count myself in on those fortunate souls who saw him perform his routines in person.

As a youngster growing up in San Diego in the 1970's and 1980's, I was able to attend the NAS Miramar Air Show regularly, and saw Bob perform his famous Shrike routine many, many times. I was utterly amazed and enthralled as a 10 year old, and I am still amazed now when I see the various videos on YouTube....

To think he will only be a name in aviation history to the next generation when all of us who saw him in person are long gone.....
Nov 20, 2017, 10:05 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Thread OP
For those wondering about Bob...
Bob Hoover's Last Air Show (12 min 37 sec)
Nov 20, 2017, 10:57 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
The saying is, "There's old pilots and there's bold pilots. But there are no old bold pilots."
In the latter part of Bob's life he proved that this was not true.

Quick Reply