BetaFlight & Matek F405 questions - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 08, 2017, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Help!

BetaFlight & Matek F405 questions


Hey all,

I am wondering if I need to upgrade my ESCs or entire radio system.
This is my first build using a USB programable flight controller, along with my first time using BetaFlight.

My gear:
I am using a Matek F405 FC and a Matek HUBOSD PDB (FC has built-in OSD but I like the PDB's OSD info and it makes wiring a little cleaner).
My transmitter is a Turnigy 9X 9ch, slightly old, operating in CPPM (PPM) mode, however my Turnigy 8ch reciever is PCM only (no PPM receivers without switiching my Tx module), so I have my receiver channel wires going to a PPM encoder, then to the Matek F405 FC, soldered to RX2.
I am using 12a AfroESCs from an older build. I believe they are PWM (not DSHOTxxx).

In my Receiver tab, I can see all channels working. I set the Arm feature in the Modes tab to AUX1, a 2-position switch on Ch.5, to make things easy.
Receiver is set to PPM in Configuration tab.

The first time in BetaFlight, I was able to get all 4 motors spinning properly in the motors tab, looks like I have fried an ESC since.
I can get smooth throttle up/down in the motoros tab, but when I use my transmitter and arm, some motors begin spinning while others are intermitent.
I did a throttle calibration (connect with BF, motor tab, unplg battery, full throttle in BF, reconnect, lower throttle, ESCs beep), but this seems to have made things worse.

So my question is are my settings way off or is the culprit my old analong ESCs and/or transmitter/receiver radio system?

What would you guys recommend for basic BF settings, stock good enough for PID settings and such?
Also, my pitch and yaw are reversed, can I change that via my transmitter or in BF?

Thanks!
Last edited by Double_A; Nov 08, 2017 at 07:08 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 04:38 PM
Quads/electronics enthusiast
12A per esc seems way too low, what motors are you running and 4- or 3s battery? Do you know what firmware they are running?
Why have you lowered your pid-loop so drastically? Please revert that to default.

I see you enabled barometer, does this fc have this? I would disable it either way for testing stuff the first time around.

Your PID's look fine to me, so go with default (as I believe you have here).

Your pitch and yaw are reversed, in other words, sending 2000-1000 instead of 1000-2000? On my taranis that can be changed at least, but it sound like your PCM to PPM encoder is doing something iffy.
You can reverse them in betaflight using `rxrange 0 2000 1000` where 0 is your channel number in this instance.

Just run with all defaults from bf, that is flyable for almost every setup. Then after first hover (check motor temperature) and flight (really check motor temperature), you can start fiddling with pids and rates.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:28 PM
Registered User
Thank you for the reply, jaukur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaukur
12A per esc seems way too low, what motors are you running and 4- or 3s battery? Do you know what firmware they are running?
My motors are within the 12A limit of the ESCs, they are not extremely powerful.
Using DYS BE1806 2300kv motors, 8-10A draw, with my 12A AfroESC, stock firmware (afro_nfet.hex).
Flying 4s, no issues with heat or amps on the previous build.

Knowing these are 3+ years old (considered legacy now, cant keep up with the tech!) I ordered a set of Crazepony DX2205 2300kv motors with Thriveline Acrotor 30A ESCs, BLHeli_S firmware, supports DShot, OneShot, MultiShot protocols, 3-6s. Should be a fun upgrade with a lot more power. Not familiar with ESC brand but good price and reviews.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaukur
Why have you lowered your pid-loop so drastically? Please revert that to default.

I see you enabled barometer, does this fc have this? I would disable it either way for testing stuff the first time around.

Your PID's look fine to me, so go with default (as I believe you have here).
PID settings, and most other settings, are all default; I have only really set arming mode and receiver protocol (initial setup stuff). I left the PID loop frequency at default, although I now see my AfroESCs list the input frequency of 1 kHz, so I will try changing that.

The Matek F405 does not have a barometer, as far as I know, I will disable that if it could be problematic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jaukur
Your pitch and yaw are reversed, in other words, sending 2000-1000 instead of 1000-2000? On my taranis that can be changed at least, but it sound like your PCM to PPM encoder is doing something iffy.
You can reverse them in betaflight using `rxrange 0 2000 1000` where 0 is your channel number in this instance.

Just run with all defaults from bf, that is flyable for almost every setup. Then after first hover (check motor temperature) and flight (really check motor temperature), you can start fiddling with pids and rates.
Thank you, I will try that; reverse the channels on my transmitter first, then onto BetaFlight if that doesn't work.

New motors and ESCs arrive in a couple days so I am hoping that solves the problem and I will not need a new radio system or transmitter module.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Matek Flight Controller F405-AIO Dutch 79 Multirotor Drone Electronics 610 Yesterday 05:08 PM
New Product Matek F405-OSD BetaFlight STM32F405 Flight Controller /w 32khz Gyro ICM20602 nitbeat Multirotor Drone Electronics 23 Nov 11, 2017 03:19 AM
Alert Matek F405 / FCHUB-6S // Review and Noise Test Drone Mesh Multirotor Drone Electronics 3 Oct 15, 2017 09:19 PM
New Product Matek F405 AIO// Review and Noise Testing Drone Mesh Multirotor Drone Electronics 0 Jul 09, 2017 08:01 PM
New Product Matek BetaFlight F405-AIO Flight Controller, Built-in PDB, Dual Bec, OSD, 5 Uarts Livershifter Banggood.com 0 Jun 30, 2017 01:02 AM