What's a good easy to fly parkflyer - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 04:43 PM
S55
S55
Question

What's a good easy to fly parkflyer

A colleague from work wants to get into RC and asked me what to buy. Unfortunately I mostly build from scratch and I'm not aware of what's available these days and therefore I'm relying on your advice.

Would be nice something small that would work for a park or a school field, but not too small so it can handle some wind. Since he's a total beginner a high wing would be mandatory as well and Safe Technology would be a plus.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,
S55
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 05:33 PM
Maggie is in charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by S55
A colleague from work wants to get into RC and asked me what to buy. Unfortunately I mostly build from scratch and I'm not aware of what's available these days and therefore I'm relying on your advice.

Would be nice something small that would work for a park or a school field, but not too small so it can handle some wind. Since he's a total beginner a high wing would be mandatory as well and Safe Technology would be a plus.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,
S55

If you want the safe technology I would look at the champ s+ or the mini apprentice.
Nov 08, 2017, 05:34 PM
This one
Comes BNF or RTF
For the little (30.00) price difference, I would go with the RTF
If he decides to stay in the hobby, he can always buy a more expensive TX, with more features.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ3180...SABEgLBvvD_BwE

https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-airplan...iABEgJiEfD_BwE
Last edited by Clive66; Nov 08, 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:29 AM
If he has an iPad, tell him to get a free RC plane flying app… That's how I started. It helped a lot with the orientation going away from you and coming back towards you. Then I got a Hobbyzone Champ, which was a very good plane… Not much for wind, but a great beginner plane.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:56 AM
S55
S55
Thanks a lot, the RTF mini Apprentice looks pretty good!
Nov 11, 2017, 02:50 AM
The UMX Timber is extremely popular and a great flier with a good price. I can fly figure eights in the infield of a diamond at our local park.
Nov 14, 2017, 04:14 PM
RC plane Champ 7 Years Old Flies Like New (2 min 59 sec)
Nov 16, 2017, 08:19 PM
+1 for the Parkzone Champ, a very nice parkflyer. Not the least bit intimidating. Mine is just completing season six, and shows no sign of its age.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:56 PM
Ditto on the Champ!! Cheap, easy to fly and parts are available at most hobby shops. We recommend it to all newbies!!!
Nov 20, 2017, 05:31 PM
I mastered RC with a GWS Slowstick.
Nov 20, 2017, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly
I mastered RC with a GWS Slowstick.
I wish they were still available.
Nov 21, 2017, 07:29 AM
UMX Timber gets my vote! It is the most stable and easy to fly of all the planes mentioned. I either have or have flown everything mentioned and the UMX Timber is a plane you can grow with and has a way more gentle stall then the others
Nov 21, 2017, 08:47 AM
Perpetual Noob
The Mini Bipe would fill the bill with the exception of SAFE. The complete kit is about $100 less the radio, receiver and batteries. It goes together in a couple hours and would work very well in smaller spaces. (I know, I fly mine regularly).
Nov 21, 2017, 09:40 AM
If criteria is Beginner-With SAFE-Can Handle some wind-But needs to be on smaller size, the usual team is

- Mini Apprentice
- Sensei (not true SAFE, but equivalent)
- Champ +
- Ares Gamma 370 V2 ( not true SAFE, but equivalent)

On smaller team:
- UMX Timber (as previously suggested)
- Maybe new T28 UM with SAFE...
- Sport Cub S (the smaller blue Sport Cub with SAFE)

Regards

Regards
Nov 21, 2017, 11:02 AM
I am new to the hobby and have flown the T28 successfully 3 1/2 times by out of 4 attempts. It sure seems easy to learn on.

Quick Reply