Plans for a 1/4 Premier Balsa Products Piper Cub? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 08, 2017, 05:17 PM
Help!

Plans for a 1/4 Premier Balsa Products Piper Cub?

Hello,
I was recently given a kit to build a 1/4 scale (106") wingspan Premier Balsa Products Piper Cub. Unfortunately the kit's missing the full scale plans. I'm hoping someone might have a copy available, or can recommend a good way to find them.
I'll attach a picture of the kit.

Thanks in advance
(edited for clarity, I misidentified the kit in my original request)
Last edited by Demothen; Nov 10, 2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Misidentification of kit
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 07:46 PM
Scale Builder
I had no idea Goldberg ever made a 1/4 scale Cub and I've been doing this stuff for 30 years. Pretty sure it has to be much older than 1992 vintage. Or it was a very limited release. Might be a real collector's item. Good luck with it!
Nov 09, 2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks Chad,
I just got word back from HobbyCo, they don't have a copy of the plans either. I definitely agree that it's either rare, or much earlier than I assumed. I'll dig through the receipts again and see if I can find if any of the stores are still in business. I've still got a few feelers out, but things aren't looking great. I've started building a much more reasonable 40" kit (Cloud Ranger) to practice with, I'm new to this hobby, so the giant kit isn't something I am ready to build yet, and most definitely not ready to fly.
Nov 09, 2017, 01:51 PM
team sleprock
not knowing what your skill level is, if it where me I might try one of the other 1/4 scale plans as a outline!
and just try and piece it together from there!
Nov 09, 2017, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid
not knowing what your skill level is, if it where me I might try one of the other 1/4 scale plans as a outline!
and just try and piece it together from there!
That's a really good idea. I'd think that would let me get the overall dimensions right, and the instruction book is pretty detailed. Do you have a suggestion for which plans to start with?
As far as experience, I'm currently building my first ever kit - and haven't flown anything but an RC Helicopter yet. However, I'm a pretty proficient woodworker, I've designed and built robots (laser cut chassis on one of them), and I'm in the engineering field with friends that fly. I suspect with a bit of effort, I could make it work. Worst case is, I build something that can't fly, but still looks pretty cool.
Nov 09, 2017, 05:39 PM
team sleprock
of all the planes I have built, a 1/4 scale CUB isn't one of them!

I do have the 40 size GB CUB, but it was one of the last GB CUB ARF's!

hopefully someone that has built a 1/4 scale CUB that knows the differences, will chime in!

the main difference that I know of, is SIG has a different way of mounting the wings!

have you looked through this forum, as there are several large CUB builds going on! and see which one closly matches yours!
Nov 09, 2017, 06:08 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I had no idea Goldberg ever made a 1/4 scale Cub and I've been doing this stuff for 30 years. Pretty sure it has to be much older than 1992 vintage. Or it was a very limited release. Might be a real collector's item. Good luck with it!
Looking at the box art, I'd guess that was maybe for the European or Canadian market, I've been in it for 40 years and have never seen one of those.
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Nov 09, 2017, 07:07 PM
I don't see the Goldberg logo anywhere on the box. Are you sure it's a Goldberg kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Looking at the box art, I'd guess that was maybe for the European or Canadian market, I've been in it for 40 years and have never seen one of those.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:27 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
The box art looks kinda like Goldberg line,, but who know what name it may have been sold under.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:40 PM
Do not to-uch the trim!
Believe it was primarily for US market as dimensions on label are in inches/lbs.

A better pic of the printing on side of box might help, as chewed up as it is. It looks like it was printed with the kit builders name (and the box used for several different kits), with the front label being specific to the model.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:43 PM
team sleprock
the demensions on the box, are closer ta the SIG kit, then balsa USA!
Nov 09, 2017, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ahs
I don't see the Goldberg logo anywhere on the box. Are you sure it's a Goldberg kit?

Ahahaha.

Aaahahaha
Ha!
*snort*

Okay. Yeah, so I am an idiot. The part of the box not shown says “Premier Balsa”. And under some masking tape it says “Premier Balsa Products”...one of the TWO instruction books says Carl Goldberg, but does not mention the scale.
I have been searching for plans to a kit that never existed. Now I just need to find plans for the Premier Balsa kit.
*facepalm*
Nov 10, 2017, 06:02 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma_581
Believe it was primarily for US market as dimensions on label are in inches/lbs.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l.
Yes,, but the motor size call out is in metric,, and the way meter is spelled "Metre",, isn't that the UK way of spelling it?
Nov 10, 2017, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Yes,, but the motor size call out is in metric,, and the way meter is spelled "Metre",, isn't that the UK way of spelling it?
It's made in England.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:38 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Change the title to this thread, I was confused until the Premier Balsa revelation
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...