Nov 25, 2017, 09:09 AM
You could try just a faster 370 motor perhaps. Or you could get a brushless 370 size, there's some videos of them running brushless on Youtube.

I wouldn't go too fast though, even though the gears on Tyco and Nikko stuff is surprisingly strong you only have to break it once and that's it. Although they used to sell spares that was decades ago. Also the chasiss can't really handle all that much speed, the rear suspension is that classic Tamiya Grasshopper type design that effectively locks open under throttle because the entire gearbox wants to rotate in the opposite direction to the wheels and it pulls the shocks downwards at the same time.

Simply converting to a hobby esc and servo will probably make it much nicer to drive and probably unleash a little extra speed too. The stock circuitry tends to limit the current the motor can pull.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2017, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinaminute
You could try just a faster 370 motor perhaps. Or you could get a brushless 370 size, there's some videos of them running brushless on Youtube.

I wouldn't go too fast though, even though the gears on Tyco and Nikko stuff is surprisingly strong you only have to break it once and that's it. Although they used to sell spares that was decades ago. Also the chasiss can't really handle all that much speed, the rear suspension is that classic Tamiya Grasshopper type design that effectively locks open under throttle because the entire gearbox wants to rotate in the opposite direction to the wheels and it pulls the shocks downwards at the same time.

Simply converting to a hobby esc and servo will probably make it much nicer to drive and probably unleash a little extra speed too. The stock circuitry tends to limit the current the motor can pull.
I have the original instruction book and box with my hi jacker and it gives the parts number hotline lol. Just for fun I actually called this number and got a diversion to Mattel UK which are the current owners of Tyco. They advised me they stopped technical support for the hi jacker in 1996'. I'm 21 years late looking for new tyres lol. You never know they may have had a batch of parts laying around in a warehouse somewhere but they don't hold parts inventory for long discontinued product lines. I can appreciate her reponse though and have no reason to believe she is lying haha.. "Hey lady! I know you got brand new Tyco hi jacker parts hidden in a German or UK warehouse, hand them over!"
Nov 27, 2017, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Chassis stiffening.... Looking at the previous chassis pictures can anyone suggest any ways to stiffen the chassis so it can handle more power? Would a strut brace up front be of benefit? I could install one while I am fitting the front oil dampers. Also under the chassis has these two gaping holes around the battery cover...would putting some reinforcements in these areas help matters? I want to minimise the car wobbling about at speed when I take it to vintage RC track runs. Taking into account the gearbox has no diff and I cannot really identify a suitable replacement box I need to make minor adjustments to improve the handling in other areas for now while keeping the cars original look.

I will also upload a YouTube video soon of a demonstration of the car in its standard form just so you can see how fast this thing is. I need to setup some interesting camera angles to.
Nov 28, 2017, 01:43 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looking forward to the video.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 28, 2017, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Original user book. I only uploaded the English section... There is other languages in it if anyone else prefers to read it in their native language I can upload also.
Nov 28, 2017, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Original box... It's abit tatty and I don't know where the foam insert went. Cool box art!
Last edited by SurroundSound; Nov 28, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Nov 29, 2017, 06:51 AM
Thread OP
I have a question.. Im looking at radio gear that I can use on my hi jacker.... I was thinking of a cheaper option. Let's say for example I was to buy this Wltoys a959 . These cars are considered hobby grade so I could use the parts from that to install in my hi jacker. For small money I would have a complete package, remote, receiver , ESC and servo... Plus I could use other parts of the car here and there such as screws nuts and bolts and possibly a few other things. All of these essential radio bits would end up costing me more if I were to buy them separately. This a959 would be a donor car for all the bits I need and its very cheap to. Is this a good idea?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172867817893
Dec 01, 2017, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
I went out to the park today to take the car for a good blast, however there is a problem with the range... It barely goes 15 foot before loosing signal.. Shame I couldn't do a proper speed test. I guess the receiver is damaged after all these years. It use to go super far when I was a kid.. ANYWAYS its ok I guess since I'm putting new electrics into it anyways. But I really wanted to show how fast this car was in stock form. Have to wait until I get all my new radio gear in the car for a proper blast . God dammit!
Dec 02, 2017, 12:38 PM
Some of these old radios don't age well. I've seen the same with some AM stuff. During high school, a classmate could run his car almost as far as my Robbe FM radio had range, but when these days testing the same radio, it barely gets 20m before glitching. Either these days there are way to much radio waves around for these older systems to work reliably, or some components on the circuit board have deteriorated over time, throwing of the tuning of the receiver and/or transmitter circuits, seriously reducing signal quality.
Dec 02, 2017, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Some of these old radios don't age well. I've seen the same with some AM stuff. During high school, a classmate could run his car almost as far as my Robbe FM radio had range, but when these days testing the same radio, it barely gets 20m before glitching. Either these days there are way to much radio waves around for these older systems to work reliably, or some components on the circuit board have deteriorated over time, throwing of the tuning of the receiver and/or transmitter circuits, seriously reducing signal quality.
Interesting point about the increase of radio waves impacting this old system, you could be right. When I remove the original receiver I will store for future reference anyways. Meanwhile I have ordered the new bits needed to get this running on a 2.4ghz system. Pistol grip transmitter / receiver ESC and servo. I will be back soon to document the build, I'll probably do some YouTube videos of the build as it will make it more interesting exactly what I am doing.
Dec 02, 2017, 03:31 PM
It's just a theory. It could be mostly aging, but weird thing is that my FM stuff still works mostly fine. So either it was build with better quality components, or it's less susceptible to interferance than AM, and thus less effected by the "crowded" air, when it comes to radio waves.
Dec 04, 2017, 06:04 PM
Some stuff does go a bit "funny" with age. I've noticed it with most brands. Some of my old Nikko stuff practically has a seizure as soon as it's turned on but then other stuff is absolutely fine. I even have an old Nikko boat that will happily go 50 meters or so.

I'm not sure if components fail and go out of spec or if there's dry solder joints or what. I don't currently have enough electrical expertise to really diagnose these things. What I have managed to work out is that some boards have a crystal and some have an input filter instead which is like a coil with a ferrite core inside which can be adjusted. The problem is it's usually set in place with wax and if you try and adjust it the coil often breaks.

It may be worth checking the battery terminals for corrosion and the wires coming from the terminals to the circuit board. Check these both on the car PCB and inside the transmitter. Corrosion can be a real pain and car spread all along a wire under the insulation and lead to insufficient voltage getting through which will definitely effect the range.
Dec 07, 2017, 06:14 AM
Thread OP
I got new radio gear, I will update the install soon. Just looking for the time to do it.
Jan 01, 2018, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
New headlamp stickers... I bought aluminium tape in crapfords and cut out new light stickers as best as I could... I used the old light stickers as a template. This was tedious lining them up and I got them as good as I can get.

I think the new stickers look great and it brings the originality of the car back. The next thing is to replace the red strips along the side of the car. I have to buy a red tape and cut the strips out with an arts knife.

I have the new hobby electronics ready to go in and I'll be doing that super soon. Just to note I decided NOT to repaint the whole car since I plan to use it in light environments and wouldn't it be a shame if it rolled over and scratched all the new paint? I compounded the body and it looks good. Also the original body stickers are still in excellent condition.
Jan 02, 2018, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Went into Crapfords again and bought this red style stripe tape which I will cut tonight with an arts knife and apply to the sides of the hi jacker. Just like on the picture on the box... Very few references to exactly how this is suppose to look online since the car is almost impossibily rare to come by with its original red pin stripping in good condition. Anyways I will work on this now.

Quick Reply