Nov 08, 2017, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tyco Hi Jacker restoration project!!

My 24 year old Hi Jacker 9.6V Turbo is going to get abit of work done to bring it into 2018... Car runs fine as it did 24 years ago.. Amazed to be honest.

Here's the list of work I'm putting into it over the next month.

Modern speed controller
Receiver
Servo
Oil shocks
Body work....
all scratches filled,
primed,
painted in original black or possibly dark grey..
All original decals will be replicated and applied
Original battery cover is missing so I will make one myself as close as possible to original one

Original problems with these cars are lack of differential and independent rear
suspension. It will never go around cornors fast , but in a straight line its good enough.
This is a fast toy grade rc so maybe its not fair to be critical on these points. A solution to
the diff problem is to fit a hobby grade rear axle / gearbox from a similar sized rc car,
therefore I have the added benefits of changjng stock wheels and tyres. Also similar sized
hobby grade front wishbones and axles. Its all possible if I find similar sized hobby parts but
for now those points are not important, just want to get it running on hobby electrics for
the moment.

I will upload pics of the car in its current state in a few days and keep a diary of all the work on this thread.
I want to show you all the stock electrics so those who may be interested can advise on possible hobby
replacements parts I can fit.

Check back soon!
Last edited by SurroundSound; Nov 08, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 03:29 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Good luck with the project and welcome to RCG.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 09, 2017, 06:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Good luck with the project and welcome to RCG.
Thank you so much
Nov 17, 2017, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for how long it took me to upload these... I have more pics to upload later tonight. The car needs a good clean. I will be dismantling the entire car soon and clean each component part.

Its not often you see a Tyco hi jacker, when you do they sell for ridiculous money on ebay. I got this in 1994' it could have been late 93'. Its always the bandits or the fast traxx you see now and again up for sale on ebay but almost never the hi jacker...
Nov 18, 2017, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
The initial tear down, Unfortunately the gearbox seems impossible to open because I have no method to remove the rear wheels. They are fitted with a pressing nut so how do I remove them?
However I cleaned inside the crack on the gearbox and used a strong plastics glue to seal up the entire crack. Its rock solid now.

The servo had a servo saver on it upon close inspection..
The main receiver board has a little corrosion but eventually will be replaced anyways..
The motor is a Mabuchi, it also has a heat sink which is nice.. Might explain why it lasted 23 years to date..

The body pop up function of the car doesn't work. I'm pretty sure the corrosion on the solders at the pop up mechanism is bad.

More later,
Last edited by SurroundSound; Nov 18, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Nov 19, 2017, 02:57 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
The body looks in decent shape. Can you post a close up on how the wheels are fitted, so we get a better impression on what is keeping these pressed on?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 19, 2017, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
The rears and the fronts. Not designed to be removed obviously. The fronts could be removed by pushing the pin out. It seems well in there though.
Nov 19, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Gave this car a thorough cleaning.... All chassis is cleaned, car is looking great!

The chrome on the wheels are a little damaged but nothing I can do about that for now. Re chrome them possible or buy a spray chrome and paint them. We will see...

I used lithium grease around the joints in the wish bones and gearbox pivot axle.

I have to attack the non functioning body pop up problem. New oil shocks front and rear will be fitted soon. I have to measure the existing shocks to find the right size.

I will selecting a new reciever / speed controller and servo soon to. Perhaps someone can suggest a cheap setup for this?
Nov 19, 2017, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Regards the body of the car, I will keep it black.. Its surprisingly in good condition actually. On proper examination it has no cracks. The stickers are in excellent condition to... The head light stickers and the red strips along the sides are the only ones that are damaged. I will buy a mirror effect tape and cut the tape to fit perfectly to replace the existing damaged Head light ones. Also I can replace the red strips with red sticker tape trimmed to fit as close to the original shape as possible.

The wheels arches have scratches along with the roof of the car. I may try flatten them down with an extremely fine sandpaper as to not damage the original shape of the body. Following that I will use an automotive paint compound to really make it fine . If after application of a plastics polish th e defects are still visible I will have to repaint the body to remove the imperfections. This will mean that I will have to either discover a method to remove the stickers without damaging them or source a company who can reproduce them.
Nov 19, 2017, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
I just discovered why the body shell won't pop up to hi jack mode... The switch inside the remote is fooked. Its a tiny black plastic circular switch that has metal contacts inside it. I'm not repairing the switch because I won't be using the original remote with this anyway so no point. I will have to find a way to activate the body pop up feature with new hobby grade remote.
Nov 20, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Didn't do alot with it today. I experimented using a cheap crappy Halfords compound to remove light scratches and it worked fine. Bigger deeper scrapes in the arches will need a filler.. I may experiment uses a clear lacquer from a touch up to see if I can fill the deep scrapes and then flatten it down. I have to be careful not to put too much pressure on the arches when sanding or compounding as this will destroy the original shape of the arches.

The chrome windows only has small scrapes on one side. Not sure how to fix that... Rechrome the whole window since chrome spray paints I am told are nothing like chrome.
Last edited by SurroundSound; Nov 20, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
Nov 20, 2017, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
BTW I apologise for the dark gloomy pictures.. I will use better light next time.
Nov 20, 2017, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Some brighter shots, very clean chassis and drivetrain.

I just wish I could get this damn gearbox open to clean and re grease the gears. I will damage the wheels if I start hitting them with a hammer to break the pressed nuts loose.

Quick Reply