Best motors, ESC's, batteries? - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 02:49 PM
Discussion

Best motors, ESC's, batteries?

Pretty wide open question, I know. There is so much product available, and so many claims made, what's the consensus? What brands are considered the best of each regardless of cost? Bigger stuff only, equating to nitro, .40 engine size and up.

What brands deliver the best in performance, quality, service?

I'm fairly new to electric, but have flown RC for almost 50 years.

Thank You.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 08:22 PM
The best motors I've ever used are SCORPION. The best Esc is the Turnigy Plush, especially or the $$$. I've recently bought my first high end batteries, some 6s Revolectrix 4400mah 70c. I've used Zippy's from HK prior with average success. Doug B
Nov 09, 2017, 02:10 AM
Everything you read on the Internet is true -- Winston Churchill (1955)

There will probably be as many different opinions as there are respondents.
Nov 09, 2017, 04:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
What delivers the best performance ?, is a good combination of everything, from the model, to prop, motor, ESC, battery, etc etc, i.e. the whole system, and most importantly, ,,,, the pilot.

There is rarely 'the best' in anything, and just as rarely, 'the worst', except in some individuals opinions.

The easiest way into electric flight is to search and read what others have used in the models you are interested in, and even then you will get variations of what was used.

My personal recommendation would be - only consider converting IC powered model to electric as a last resort, or you may miss the advantages of electric flight. Others may/will disagree, but that's what electrickery is about.

Ray.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAYSMOKER
Pretty wide open question, I know. There is so much product available, and so many claims made, what's the consensus? What brands are considered the best of each regardless of cost? Bigger stuff only, equating to nitro, .40 engine size and up.

What brands deliver the best in performance, quality, service?

I'm fairly new to electric, but have flown RC for almost 50 years.

Thank You.
As others have indicated, their probably isn't any "Best" brand. But, for me, the Castle Creations ESC's and BEC's are pretty good. You can actually run them at their maximum ampere rating without a problem.

I've got a whole collection of the Hacker motors, ranging from an Hacker A40-10L up to three A50's, two A60's. And, my big 4500 Watt electric is powered by a Rimfire 50cc electric motor. I have three discontinued Hyperion 450 Watt motors. One of them lost the prop shaft right in front of the front bearing while IN FLIGHT! That was on a twin electric.

My A60-16M motor has more power than a 30 cc gasser, by providing more RPM than a club mates gasser, using the same exact prop. Same for that Rimfire 50cc. This motor turns a 22X10 XOAR propeller at 7200 RPM on the ground, compared to a club mates 6700 RPM with his DLE50 cc gasser.

Seems most of the name brand motors now days are pretty good.

As far a models go, all of the models I fly a lot were designed originally for glow/gas power. Since it is fairly easy to match the horsepower of a glow or gas engine with electric power, converting a glow type model to electric isn't a problem.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:59 AM
best ESC,Hobbywing,best motor,T-motor,Best battery gree ACE as far as I know
Dec 07, 2017, 07:04 PM
Scorpion and Cobra motors and ESCs. Also, you can count on Lucien at Innovative to answer your questions. He is a great source of information for me. For batteries, Pulse.
Last edited by ARCS 1980; Dec 07, 2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Additional.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all your opinions. As I suspected, everyone has their pet systems, which I understand perfectly. I've used Hacker, AXI, Castle, Thunderpower, Roaring Top, and Pulse with good success for all at this point. I guess I'll continue down the path until something goes haywire!
Dec 07, 2017, 09:30 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
The EDF guys who are serious battery users have fallen in love with Turnigy Graphine. A common favorite for less demand is Tattu. I get TG from HobbyKing, Tattu from GetFPV.

As stated, a lot of people have other favorites -- there's no actual consensus.
Dec 08, 2017, 08:06 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Controllers and motors
www.kontronik.com
www.lehner-motoren.com

Prettig weekend Ron

Kontronik Kosmik
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 08, 2017 at 08:11 AM.
Dec 09, 2017, 04:18 AM
Gens ace and Tattu battery: www.genstattu.com.