Red Dot next to your Welcome??? - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 09:54 AM
Question

Red Dot next to your Welcome???

Something new today,.....

.....have you noticed? A Red Dot with a number in the center, right next to your Avatar welcome in the Top Right corner.

Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 10:01 AM
Administrator
See this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post38597344

Jeff M
Nov 08, 2017, 10:36 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Isnt that for Target
Nov 08, 2017, 10:50 AM
Hopefully not a RCG value rating
Nov 08, 2017, 09:04 PM
Just Toss It !!!
My question is: Why does the red dot show 3 when I don't have any unread messages?!!
Nov 08, 2017, 09:51 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Yeah mine is off also.
It shows 1. And I have checked all of my messages & any other kind of notification that could be there.
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 08, 2017, 11:06 PM
Faster is Better
Yesterday a red dot, today no dot.

I wish software engineers understood the concept that if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
My question is: Why does the red dot show 3 when I don't have any unread messages?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Yeah mine is off also.
It shows 1. And I have checked all of my messages & any other kind of notification that could be there.
Check your pending Friendship requests
Nov 09, 2017, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
I wish software engineers understood the concept that if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Amen,.....they are so needy of validation
Nov 09, 2017, 12:18 AM
Piscine Promulgator
I'm almost certain the engineers weren't the ones pushing for the red dot, they were just tasked with the job

Actually, once the feature is more fully implemented (seems they've received the feedback on the first pass and are now going to work on tweaking it), I think it will be nice. Previously, you'd have to click on your username to see if you had new private messages (assuming you dismissed the popup that might appear, depending on your settings, upon initial site visit), which required a positive action on the user's part to "see."

While I don't agree with the over-dramatic red coloring, I do think having a "passive" always-visible display of new PMs, friend requests and - ideally, in my view - subscription notifications will be welcome, at least to me.

Anyways, I think if it's done well, it will be additive. If it isn't done well, there will be howling in the Site Suggestions forum... but hey, we've been tolerating a relatively extreme amount of advertising for years now, what's one more red dot?
Latest blog entry: Of Fish, France, FPV, and Fun!
Nov 09, 2017, 12:57 AM
The fact that after clicking on the red dot, there's no visible connection to the
pending friends requests is really dumb. So is combining new PMs and friend requests
into one number, IMHO. Also, I don't just automatically accept or
reject friends requests. I may take some time to see if I actually have any connection
at all to the person, and that takes time, (sometimes days) so now I've always got
some number there and no longer have any idea if I really have new PMs at any given time.

Frankly I just don't see the point of it.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:28 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I've found that it's remarkably easy to simply ignore.

Pete
Nov 09, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The fact that after clicking on the red dot, there's no visible connection to the
pending friends requests is really dumb. So is combining new PMs and friend requests
into one number, IMHO. Also, I don't just automatically accept or
reject friends requests. I may take some time to see if I actually have any connection
at all to the person, and that takes time, (sometimes days) so now I've always got
some number there and no longer have any idea if I really have new PMs at any given time.

Maybe we have a Blue Dot with PM count and Green Dot with Subscribed count, coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I've found that it's remarkably easy to simply ignore.
Pete
I'm trying Pete,....

.....but it tasks me,.... it tasks me and I must have it
Nov 09, 2017, 12:05 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Check your pending Friendship requests
Yeah that was it. I donít know how that got by me, with all the friends I have made here over the years you think I would know how to do that by now. LOL

Thanks.
Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 09, 2017, 12:26 PM
I saw the red dot. Bugged me. Deleted everything in inbox, sent,subscription..
I see no freind request. Still that big red dot with a one on it. Lost my old email for nothing.