Super Tigre 400 - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2017, 09:31 AM
Discussion

Super Tigre 400

Interested to see if anyone has rewind a Super Tigre 400 brush less motor. I've never rewound a motor before, but its something that seems interesting, not to mention I have three of them.
Best I can tell, it seems the motor is wound in a LRK pattern, with a Delta termination .
The motor has 12 poles and 14 magnets. It is wind with a three strands of ?? gauge wire with 12 turns(??).

Know it may be cheaper to buy a motor but it just seems challenging to see if i can make it work.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 11:52 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=rewind+tower

The motor bell is very close to the stator. It is not a good idea to use LRK wind, as it would be left with very little copper.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:07 PM
I have a Super Tiger 400. That motor is factory wound with the DLRK pattern and Delta termination. As manual v stated LRK will not clear the bell.

I understand that you want to start with what you have in the rewinding but a dt750 or d4023 would be a lot easier and lend themselves to a lot of different winding patterns. And there is a thread for both with a lot of tips from blogs
Nov 08, 2017, 11:12 PM
Oh forgot to mention that it takes some doing to unwind one of the Super Tiger motors
Nov 09, 2017, 06:37 AM
Thanks. The motor is wound with three strand wire. Any idea what gauge or could I wind with single strand of the same relative gauge?
Yes I did find out theses are very challenging to unwind.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:44 PM
Jack
The three strands in parallel are like a single larger strand.

Look at the numbers on the wiki awg page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

If your motor was wound with three strands in parallel you would want to try a single strand with the same amount of cross section surface area. If the wire was about 0.25mm as is typical, the area is 0.0509 per stand for a total area of 0.1527mm2. Then looking at the larger wire sizes you see:

25 AWG = 0.162mm2
26 AWG = 0.129mm2

So those would be good single strand candidates. If there was much open space left around the factory windings sometimes you can go with an even larger strand.

The area in the strand(s) is all about current capacity, more area more capacity.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Nov 10, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:23 PM
I try with with exit 16t 23-23.5 awg wire.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:49 AM
Thanks. This clears it up. So if I rewind with single strand of comparable area and the same number of winds per poles I should get the same performance.
One additional question. The factory wind has an insulator on the wire where it crosses over to the other side of the phase. Most of the pics I see in the threads do not have this. Is this because of lower quality coated wire? If I use a better quality insulated wire is the cross over additional insulation needed?
Thanks for all who responded. This is really getting interesting.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:18 AM
Well a Super Tiger .10 is a tight wind with 23g and 12 turns. I think maybe 24g or 25g would be your friend here. Maybe 23g if you terminated Y. The Super Tiger motors usually have a fairly good wind on them from my experience.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
Here is a pic of my Super Tiger 400. Not much room. Did you count the turns when unwinding?
Nov 10, 2017, 09:28 AM
Here is a Super Tiger .10 next to the Super Tiger 400
Nov 10, 2017, 09:29 AM
I have three motors. I tried to unwind the oldest and what seems like the most burnt. I was able to get 3-4 poles unwound and it seems like there are about 12-13 turns.
My thinking is to use 25 g wire. I’m going to practice and test on the older motor before I rebuild the one I want to use on my plane.
Any thoughts on crossover insulation?
Nov 10, 2017, 09:37 AM
If manual v says 23g will fit then it will fit! He knows his stuff.

Cross over insulation is ok but you should be able to trust the wire insulation that's my thoughts
Nov 10, 2017, 09:45 AM
Jack
The insulation on the transits is not a bad idea as it does not take up much space. Got one of the shrink tube assortments from on eBay and you'll have an assortment of colors and sizes that will last you for years:

http://tinyurl.com/y7u9q3m6

Starting with the 25 AWG is a good idea, once you get the turns on two adjacent arms you'll know immediately if that will work all the way around and if there is room for bigger wire in a future rewind.

I get my wire from the Tech Fixx on eBay too, he advertised on the web page and sells via eBay. And I've always been happy with the prices and service from him:

http://www.techfixx.com/

Jack
Nov 10, 2017, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammied
If manual v says 23g will fit then it will fit! He knows his stuff.

Cross over insulation is ok but you should be able to trust the wire insulation that's my thoughts
My attempt was with a ST10 clone and my wire caliber is around 23-23.5.
Now I use TC 7.3 and in excel block 5, I write down the measurements of the stator slot and the excel gives me the maximum number of turns that can be given with wires ranging from 32 to 17 awg and from .9 to 2mm.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Calculator-7-2