HB question - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 08, 2017, 06:15 AM
Discussion

HB question

So a guy gave me an engine yesterday. The only markings on this thing are "Made in Germany" under the exhaust on the crankcase. It looks exactly like my HB 61 except that it doesn't say "HB" anywhere on it. There is a blank metal plate where the HB logo is supposed to go. I'm wondering if it was made by MECOA or maybe someone else after HB quit making their own engines?

I found a review of this thing that stated there was no way to tell the difference between the HB 50 and 40 except by measuring the bore diameter. I haven't done that yet but if this thing is a 40, that is one hefty pork chop of a motor.

carl
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 06:28 AM
Engine man
The MECOA site has about the best information regarding these engines now. I am very curious as to what your engine looks like. Could you post some pictures? I too just picked up an HB 61 but it very clearly shows the HB logo on the left side of the case. I have been curious as to how HB and HP engines made in the US by MECOA are marked regarding the logo and country of origin.

http://www.mecoa.com/
Nov 08, 2017, 06:39 AM
I have scoured the MECOA site and it wasn't much help.

carl
Nov 08, 2017, 06:46 AM
Engine man
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I have scoured the MECOA site and it wasn't much help.

carl
To my knowledge MECOA(RJL Industries at the time) was the only other manufacturer to make HB engines. So it must either be an original or a MECOA made engine. The metal plate on the crankcase is a really conundrum though....
Nov 08, 2017, 06:50 AM
The original HB engines made in Germany, were also locally marketed there under the "Hegi" brand.

The HB logo was milled off the casting and a metallic "decal" was attached in place

DF
Nov 08, 2017, 07:10 AM
the great Gassif´er
DerFly is correct. Hegi sold rebadged HB engines under their own name.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFly
The original HB engines made in Germany, were also locally marketed there under the "Hegi" brand.

The HB logo was milled off the casting and a metallic "decal" was attached in place

DF
That's probably what I have then. I can see milling marks where the HB logo should be. Decal is long gone. Now all I need to do is find out if I have a 40 or a 50 size.

carl
Nov 08, 2017, 08:29 PM
I measured the bore and it is the .50. I may put this in my Minare when I get it together. So glad it wasn't the .40.

Thanks for all the help

carl
Nov 08, 2017, 09:43 PM

Mufflers

Remember that the HB61, Webra Blackhead and K&B 61 mufflers are all interchangeable and fit HB 40 through 61!
Nov 09, 2017, 06:19 AM
Yes. I have an HB 61 and the muffler is the exact same one as is on my 50.

carl