Aug 29, 2018, 12:37 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi again Skysters.
Gotta rehash this stab/elevator thing again, this time the assembly sequence.
What I’m thinking how to do this....
Cut the little tail piece apart from the elevator and glue to the fuselage. ( or glue it, then cut apart, for better elevator alignment)..anyhow...
Then insert the covered elevator through the fuselage slot...

Finally, insert and glue the stab into position.

This sequence allows the elevator to be already covered before assembly and makes it easier to have done do.

Then the stab and fuselage can be covered last.

Does this make sense?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2018, 06:03 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I think I would fit some sheet to the center of the stab where it meets the fuse ,cover the stab and elevator,hinge the works,glue the small center piece to the stab-after it's covered,remove the covering where it meets the fuse and glue the bugger into the covered fuse.That will give you nice wood to wood joints.
Aug 30, 2018, 09:20 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Thanks for that. Yes, I think I will add some sheeting to the stab center area, good idea!
Oct 07, 2018, 08:17 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Things are still s-l-o-w-l-y chugging along.

Servos mounted, plywood firewall glued in (tonight) stab and elevator mounted, elevator covered, fin and rudder mounted, and the wing is covered but not in this picture. Gotta stop at the hobby shop and pick up some control surface horns and hardware for mounting the landing gear and motor. Bits and bits.
Oct 07, 2018, 09:28 PM
I've seen a few designs with that piece between the elevators, like the Leapin' Lena . I kinda' like that little detail ! Looks like you are getting there, and I am another that has been "chugging along slowly", yet, that's ok ! Which type of covering are you using? ( just curious......) Have fun, Mike
Oct 08, 2018, 07:59 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi Mike,
Yes that small tail piece is a distinctive feature but it’s caused me some head scratching during assembly.

The covering is iron on from Value Hobby. I’ve used it for several years and like it, goes on nice, if you spot a wrinkle just keep turning up the iron heat and going over it, the wrinkle WILL come out. Plus it’s $13 for 5 meters, something I can afford. Their brand name for it is Neucover.

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...navy-blue.html
Last edited by aeronca52; Oct 08, 2018 at 08:05 AM.
Oct 14, 2018, 08:47 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Closing in on things here.
Tonight the three piece sub fin was glued together. Yup, that was the big event for today.

Actually I had to make the center piece out of my stash as I could not find the kit one in the box. It must have been in there at one time but might have been used elsewhere. Remember there were no part numbers on any of the parts, and the only instructions are notes on the plans. This particular piece is pretty much rectangular with a slight curve on one side so there could have been a case of mistaken identity somewhere along the way.

Regardless, we’re here now.

Once this sub fin is mounted to the bottom of the fuselage there should be one more light overall sanding then the covering will commence.
Stay tuned Skysters, thanks for following along.
Dec 20, 2018, 08:21 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi Skysters,
It’s been a while, but things have been moving, albet at a snail’s pace. But like the snail, we’ll finish the race.

Here she is yesterday afternoon. Still needs several odds and ends, propably finish up by News Year Eve or a day before. Wish me luck.
Dec 20, 2018, 11:43 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Like the looks of her,real nice!
Dec 20, 2018, 08:06 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Thanks rabid, with the short tail moment and huge stab the first flight should be exciting.
Dec 20, 2018, 08:15 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
LENA looks Great , Jim

Best regards,

jeff
Dec 20, 2018, 09:25 PM
I really like the chubby look of the LL, good luck with the first flights.
Dec 20, 2018, 10:31 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Jeff and fIzzle, thanks for the comments, they’re like fuel to finish the LL. I can’t believe it took a year to get this far.
Dec 21, 2018, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I can’t believe it took a year to get this far.
At least your working on several models at the same time Jim. I struggle to get one done a year
Dec 27, 2018, 09:35 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi Skysters,
Looks like the Leapin Lena is done!! Last night the controls were hooked up so all that remains is to check the motor operation, that’s done outside. Took these pics quick before heading to work today.

The elevator is going to be set with low rates for the first flight, with all that area and short tail moment it propably will be super sensitive.

I was going to add iron on windows, but none were on the original, so none for now.

Anyhow, there she is.

Fizzle, you have to subscribe to Bill Winter’s Purple Plan. Do SOMETHING, anything, but do something every day. You’ll surprise yourself.
Last edited by aeronca52; Dec 27, 2018 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply