1953 Leapin Lena kit build - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 09:44 PM
Culper Junior
Build Log

1953 Leapin Lena kit build

Hi again Skysters!

Pull up a pretzel can, have a seat, and look this project over. A friend gave me this kit with the understanding that I would build it, so that's what this thread is all about. Although it's a 1953 design, I think the kit is from the 1970's or so. Lots of nice wood!

As you suspected it will be electric r/c, but with a few modifications. The wing will have some 1/8" stringers across the top leading edge to keep the airfoil more true, and the tail surfaces will be built up rather than the 1/4" sheet called for in the kit. That much balsa would be a lot of weight all the way back there. Might also be some other mods as construction progresses, but we'll tackle them as they appear.

This is a leisurely build, I’ll be happy if it's ready for a late Spring, early Summer first flight. So, if it interests you feel free to come along, watch as it comes alive, and please ask questions or make suggestions!

Here's a picture of the first fuselage side framed up, This took about 50 minutes tonight. Sigment will be the glue of choice here, so don't nose around the picture looking for CA. The other picture is the label off the kit box.

And while we are at it, heres a link to the OZ plans .https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9114

That's it for now, looks like I might have to work late tomorrow so this fuselage side will have 48 hours to set up before moving off the workbench.

Take care Skysters, and till then...

Keep the wings level.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2017, 01:50 AM
Watching,

Ross
Nov 08, 2017, 06:58 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Got to keep an eye on this one.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:25 AM
Culper Junior
Thanks for 'comin along on the ride' guys! This design has had my attention off and on from childhood, and stumbling on and receiving the kit was a great indication it was meant to be.

Don't be shy about chiming in, the more the merrier.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:59 PM
B for Bruce
Pudgy little thing, ain't she....
Nov 08, 2017, 03:27 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Pudgy little thing, ain't she....
I dated a girl like that once, maybe it's my style.
Nov 08, 2017, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
This is a leisurely build, I’ll be happy if it's ready for a late Spring, early Summer first flight. So, if it interests you feel free to come along, watch as it comes alive, and please ask questions or make suggestions!
I'm hoping I can be there for a maiden flight June 1-3. I've bought covering for my Ellis E-Fly project, but that's about it. Got a few other planes in line ahead of it.

Andy
Nov 08, 2017, 07:56 PM
Culper Junior
Sounds like a plan Andy. Btw how'd you get those dates already?
Nov 08, 2017, 08:28 PM
It's always the first full weekend in June.

Andy
Nov 08, 2017, 09:06 PM
Well, Jumpin' Jahosafats, This looks like fun ! I have tuned my receiver to your channel ! Mike
Nov 08, 2017, 09:37 PM
Culper Junior
Hi again Skysters,
Thanks to all who have tuned in to watch this box o' balsa get turned into a flying model airplane.
Mike, I've always wondered how to spell that, now I know.
As mentioned I did work late and didn't have much hobby time before the back and legs started complaining. However I'm still a fan of Bill Winters Purple Plan, which offers to do some hobby work, no matter how little, every day. That said, tonight's effort was simply pulling all 68 pins out of the building board and lifting the fuselage side up off the plans.

Not a big effort for sure, but tomorrow night I can begin right away with laying down the second side. One tiny step.

Till then Skysters,
Keep the wings level...
Nov 09, 2017, 07:50 AM
Culper Junior
This morning before leaving for work I took a few minutes and picked out the two hardest 1/4" square strips of the remaining seven in the kit. These will be the upper and lower longerons for the second side of the fuselage.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:30 PM
Culper Junior
Hi Skysters,
Since the first fuselage side was up off the bench and the two longerons were already picked out, I could slip right into the building mode. (See how the small stuff adds up?).

Not much to say but the second side was built, glued, and pinned down and left to dry. A bit of info...the first two fuselage bays are filled with 1/4 sheet, which should help the CG with that short nose and long tail moment.

Tomorrow the second side comes off the building board and both sides will be lightly sanded and trued up. If there is time the cross pieces can start going in. We're on our way!

Till then Skysters,

Keep the wings level...
Nov 10, 2017, 09:41 AM
Culper Junior
Snuck down the basement before breakfast this morning to remove the pins from the second half framework. 72 pins this time.
Tonight I'll sand the frames lightly and check for trueness and symmetry, if all goes quick then maybe start with the cross pieces.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:07 AM
Culper Junior
Good morning Skysters!
Last night, before I fell asleep in the recliner I cut six cross pieces all the same length. These are in the area beneath the wing. Using soda cans to align everything, one upper and the one below it were glued in. Without moving anything , this morning the two in front of those were glued in. When dry the structure *should* be rigid enough to pick up and continue adding the rest of the cross pieces. Rolling along now.