Graupner 2400 Stolp Starlet - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 07, 2017, 07:36 PM
Discussion

Graupner 2400 Stolp Starlet

This looks like a very nice ARF.

I originally saw this plane posted on flying giants back in June and bookmarked as a possibility but haven't thought about much until now. I recently acquired an OS FT 160 with plans to put it in a CW taylorcraft (H9) but have decided not to go that route at this time. I started looking at my list but initially thought the starlet might be too big till I realized the estimated weight is about the same as the Taylorcraft.

So now I am looking at this as a real possibility but am torn between this and the new H9 RV4. The RV4 is about $140 less and has flaps but is heavier although I've seen one fly with the same engine as mine and it does just fine. Both appear to use proper scale-like hinging on their control surfaces. I own two versions of the RV already as well so kind of been there and done that. The Starlet is fairly unique subject although for me there is no danger of getting confused with another in the air as I fly alone

I'd be interested to hear opinions if anyone out there is/has flown one of these.

Starlet 2400 _ GRAUPNER - YouTube.flv (3 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 08:31 PM
AMA 46133
What a pretty airplane. Definitely a unique design compare to the RV4. From the two videos the RV 4 seemed to have a wider flight envelope. In other words the video seemed to show off the slow flight capabilities of the RV4 where as the Starlet seemed to fly pretty fast. The only way to really evaluate will be to see them both fly in person. I am curious why they didn't flap the Starlet.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
What a pretty airplane. Definitely a unique design compare to the RV4. From the two videos the RV 4 seemed to have a wider flight envelope. In other words the video seemed to show off the slow flight capabilities of the RV4 where as the Starlet seemed to fly pretty fast. The only way to really evaluate will be to see them both fly in person. I am curious why they didn't flap the Starlet.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's pretty I watched several videos of the starlet and the landing speed/rollout seems pretty reasonable. I think the sound of a twin 4-stroke would be icing on the cake for a plane like that.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:48 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's pretty I watched several videos of the starlet and the landing speed/rollout seems pretty reasonable. I think the sound of a twin 4-stroke would be icing on the cake for a plane like that.
The sound of four stroke RC engine is always the icing on the cake for any RC plane. Not to mention a multi cylinder four stroke engine. Personally I would definitely look favorably at the Starlet just because it is pretty and unique. The wing planform has sold me. Compare to the constant chord of the RV4 there is no comparison.
Nov 08, 2017, 01:11 PM
I just saw the plane comes with wings and tail bag. Nice!

Seismic, if you don't mind me asking where do you fly?
Nov 08, 2017, 01:23 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
I just saw the plane comes with wings and tail bag. Nice!

Seismic, if you don't mind me asking where do you fly?
In the middle of the forest on the east side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Which is the southern most island on the Hawaiian island chain.
Nov 08, 2017, 01:37 PM
Quote:
In the middle of the forest on the east side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Which is the southern most island on the Hawaiian island chain.
Nice. My wife grew up on the north shore of Oahu and I picked pineapple on Maui for a season way back. Was seriously considering moving to the big island for a while but things changed. Love Maui but it's changed a lot over the years and not quite the sleepy agricultural place it used to be.
Nov 08, 2017, 01:50 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Nice. My wife grew up on the north shore of Oahu and I picked pineapple on Maui for a season way back. Was seriously considering moving to the big island for a while but things changed. Love Maui but it's changed a lot over the years and not quite the sleepy agricultural place it used to be.
North Shore Oahu used to be the quaint little country town with good surf. Just like Maui and Kauai, North Shore has become so congested with tourists it is no longer a sleepy town. Maui really has it bad with all the hotels. I feel really bad for the local there. The east side of the Big Island is our last refuge. Tourists don't like to visit because it rains a lot. Gives me time to stay indoor and build.
Nov 08, 2017, 04:07 PM
Very pretty indeed.

Quote:
I am curious why they didn't flap the Starlet.
Because the real one doesn't have them?
https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...et%20SA500.pdf
Nov 08, 2017, 04:14 PM
Quote:
North Shore Oahu used to be the quaint little country town with good surf. Just like Maui and Kauai, North Shore has become so congested with tourists it is no longer a sleepy town. Maui really has it bad with all the hotels. I feel really bad for the local there. The east side of the Big Island is our last refuge. Tourists don't like to visit because it rains a lot. Gives me time to stay indoor and build.
is there waves? if its quiet and rains a lot it would be perfect for me, it cant rain as much as the uk. waves would be beneficial..

I would get the starlet. I would also convert the ft 160 to gas (petrol) you can get the tick over to sound like a mini Harley.
Nov 08, 2017, 07:49 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdub
Very pretty indeed.

Because the real one doesn't have them?
https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...et%20SA500.pdf
Thank you I did not realized it is a scale version of a full size airplane.
Nov 08, 2017, 07:54 PM
AMA 46133
>>is there waves?<<

Yes there are waves on the Big Island. Not as famous and not as BIG as North Shore or Maui but there is quite a crowd of surfers.

>> if its quiet and rains a lot it would be perfect for me,<<

Yes it is quiet and rains a lot.

>> it cant rain as much as the uk. waves would be beneficial..<<

Oh yeah, you have not seen rain until you stay here. I believe the year 2000 was a record year. Now hold on to your seat we measure rain in feet. Anyway for the year 2000 we had 210 inches of rain. That's 17 1/2 feet of rain. The worse was November 2nd and 3rd 2000. At one spot on the south east of the island they recorded 39 inches of rain within a 24 hour period.

I believe Hilo may hold the record for the rainiest city in the United States with a population of 25,000 or more. It has been dry for the last few years so we did not quite get so much. However the normal average is something like 180 inches a year.

However this year is so dry we are having a drought on the west (lee) side of the island.
Nov 09, 2017, 01:15 PM
I just placed an order for this plane and should have it in a week or so. I will need servos and am thinking of hitec 5625s for the control surfaces and whatever I already have in the standard size for the throttle.
Nov 09, 2017, 02:38 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
I just placed an order for this plane and should have it in a week or so. I will need servos and am thinking of hitec 5625s for the control surfaces and whatever I already have in the standard size for the throttle.
I like to use a slightly bigger servo for the rudder.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
I like to use a slightly bigger servo for the rudder.
Which one?