Andrews Aeromaster - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 06:53 PM
Build Log

Andrews Aeromaster

Decided to start a new thread for those who are interested. Got this kit off eBay
My dad had two AMs and I remember them well about 40 years ago. This kit is in great shape, the wood is warp free and smells wonderful as I cut and sand. Just joined the bottom panels. This is the original, with ailerons on bottom wing only and top swept both are 48 inches. Will power this with a saito 90 FS
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 06:56 PM
This plane holds a lot of memories
Nov 08, 2017, 01:37 AM
Cool! I'll check it out. I have plans in digital format for all versions of the Andrews Aeromaster's (I & II) as well as the Great Planes Super version... If you'd like a copy...matter of fact, I think all Andrews versions are on OuterZone.org if you needed that.

I know the GP's version isn't yet there... as I had to scan my own.... but just an FYI if you're interested. There are some very distinct differences in them for sure. I find having a set on file in the comp to refer is handy at times... and in the last few years I generally have 2 sets output, a working set, and reference set.. and I can say working with newly output plans is awesome... again just an FYI.

Good luck with the build... I'll be following along.
Nov 08, 2017, 06:36 AM
Sure, Id like another set of the original plans. The instructions are written on the plans and Its hard to read as Im working on them.

Ive heard the original was best, well see. The only mods I am making is two servos in the wing, and nylon bolts for the lower wing hold down. Probably also use screws on the landing gear to get rid of all the rubber bands. Might modify the nose somewhat to blend in with a spinner.
Nov 08, 2017, 12:05 PM
The first file is the original Aeromaster. it's two pgs, fuselage and wing. The second file is the Aeromaster II, one pg.., wing only... shows the different configuration options he came up with for the II version.... same fuselage on both planes.

You should be able to enlarge these on your computer screen with your PDF viewer, and be able to clearly see every bit of the type and instructs. It's very handy like that.

I won't confuse your thread with the Super version, unless you'd like those here, or emailed, as it is quite different, it might offer insight into your modifications though. Just let me know... Carry on... it's looking good.
Nov 08, 2017, 12:17 PM
Also.... I just remembered, and since you mentioned the cowling... FiberGlassSpecialties has cowlings available for these planes. Round versions, with a few different motiff's... IE side-blisters, plain-round, and one other I think..can't remember.. but they can add a nice touch as well.

I've used FGS components on other planes for years.. and have studied their product line... and yep.. they have them. Just a thought there. I will be getting one for my Super A when the time comes... as the GP's kit version has a wood/ABS hybrid sort of cowl... where you build the ring/frame, then cap the nose/front with the very rounded ABS piece.. kind of interesting... and very different from the Andrews version.... It all depends on how "stock" you want your Aeromaster to be... as some upgrades are very worthy just because of modern technology(IE dual-servos..as example).. and sometimes things are cool left stock/original.. its entirely to the builder of course. I like 'em all.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:12 PM
Feel free to post away, I like to see many versions of this great airplane
Nov 08, 2017, 07:18 PM
I just want to go fly!
Love the aero master. I borrowed the canopy style for my hog bipe build. Love it’s classic looks.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:29 PM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
Great project Steve! As you know, one of my all time favs. You just might motivate me to start mine!
Nov 08, 2017, 09:08 PM
Scratch builder
The best airplane I had. The blue was my first build from a short kit (only the fuselage), and the white bought used and is my actual but was build in the 70's. Also I have a NIB waiting for build.
I will watch all the process.

Regards.
Alberto
Nov 09, 2017, 07:19 AM
How do you guys feel about the struts? I am adding the reinforcements to the ribs, but not sure if struts are really needed? If so how did you make them?
Nov 09, 2017, 07:30 AM
Scratch builder
No struts in my Aeromaster's. That is only for visual, I was read in a PD1 post that andrews forgot them one day and decide flight without them and everithing goes OK
Nov 09, 2017, 07:32 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Steve,

I think struts look cool and are easy to do today.

I built an Electric powered RCM Acrostar Biplane last winte and installed magnets in the top wing and top of strut and carbon rods in the bottom of the struts fit mate into plates with holes in the bottom wing. I install bottom wing first, put struts in place then add top wing....you can hear the struts “snap” in place. I used 1/4 x 1/8 thick magnets....

I think I remember you stopping by my build thread....

Denny
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Nov 09, 2017 at 07:38 AM.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:42 AM
Hi Denny, Thanks for this post. Yes, I remember this beautiful bi-plane. So do they attach to the bottom wing, or it is just a friction fit? I was thinking maybe just some brass tubes in the bottom wing that mate with a piece of music wire on the strut. I like magnets for the top connection. They are really just for show then anyway, but they do look cool