Gift for a fellow pilot need advice - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 05:36 PM
Help!

Gift for a fellow pilot need advice

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to pay back the kindness someone has shown me getting into this hobby over the past year. I was purely a quad pilot before but this person built me a Limbo Dancer, showed me the ropes with a buddy lead and then helped me get the grips with 3D flying indoor and outdoor.

His hanger is full of different types of planes but EDF is the one area that he is lacking. So i'm looking for advice on what sort of thing you would recommend to an experienced pilot but who has never flown EDF before.

Our flying field doesn't have a paved runway and it isn't the longest in the world either so that is something to think about.

I was looking at the FMS Avanti 70mm but it might be too fast for a first jet. Same with the Futura - but I also read about issues with build quality with it[?] (correct me if i'm wrong)

The freewing venom kit was another option that was recommended to me by the guys at Redsradiocontrol but I don't know much about it.

Just looking for any help or advice you can give and I hope this isn't a common question you guys get asked that I missed the answer somewhere in an FAQ!

Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 06:36 PM
I will say depends on your wallet.

90mm edf are bigger and for same reason better to see and more stable.

Freewing Avanti 80mm, Freewing Stinger 90mm. Bettet build than other epp jets.

If this is to high$$

Hooby King Durafly Venom/Vampire 70mm edf

Hobby king Me163 is a nice subject Jet like.

Cheers

Juan
Nov 07, 2017, 08:03 PM
FW Venom is what I would recommend. The only thing is the nose leg needs shortening to help prevent a bounce should the plane land too fast.
The FW Avanti is a close second and needs nothing changed.
Nov 07, 2017, 11:23 PM
no beer cooler material
Nov 08, 2017, 01:42 AM
That is right, EPO all the way! Perfect for those less than perfect pilots.
For those who like a little building the EPS (beer cooler style foam) FlyFly kits are awesome fliers as shown in my maiden made yesterday.
4stripes Maidens His FlyFly 90mm Hawk (5 min 54 sec)

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/index.ph...c575d8bf25481c
Last edited by 4stripes; Nov 08, 2017 at 01:47 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingone
no beer cooler material
Haha. This is awesome. The best comment ever.
Yup, it’s a waste of money. Poor people are poor, because they make bad decisions.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:37 AM
Take a look at the FW F-86. It's on the price range of the other recommended planes, The F-86 looks great flys great at slow and fast speed. IMHO if I had to have only one EDF it would be the FW F-86. Oh did I mention EPO, no beer cooler foam.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:12 AM
It flies? I like it!
Freewing Rebel V2, it's the Ugly Stick of EDFs. Delightful and predictable to fly, does well enough on grass (despite the retracts) and is relatively inexpensive.