Alternative Radio for DSMX and DSM2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 07, 2017, 05:15 PM
Sticks
Help!

Alternative Radio for DSMX and DSM2

Hi All, I'm looking to upgrade my radio to 8 channel. I have a Spektrum DXe that came with the Mini Aprentice S and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to grow with that will communicate with the AR636a that is in the plane. Spekrum is so expensive, so looking for alternative that will work with my apprentice.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 07:30 PM
Might look at a FrSky QX-7 with a Orange Module that is compatible with spectrum DSM2/DSMX. Should cost you about $150 total.

Aloft Hobbies is a excellent supplier for the QX-7 and more FrSky receivers will less than $30 each and then you have telemetry available.

I use a FrSky Tarnias X9D Plus with the Orange module to fly some of the UM models. Any expensive plane I have has a full install of FrSky receivers with telemetry which has worked flawlessly since day one.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:23 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
RUN AWAY from the Orange Module, which is known for being flaky for many users. The iRange Multiprotocol Module is the best cheap option for DSMX/DSM2.

Otherwise, the QX7 is an excellent transmitter. I personally use it's larger brother the X9D+ with a 6ch Spektrum Hack Module (most reliable DSMX module, but only 6ch and DIY)
Nov 10, 2017, 05:46 PM
Sticks
Thanks for the input guys. I have been studying the qx7 with the orange DSMX module. Most reviews are positive. So I may go this route. Just curious will the spektrum hack work with the qx7 if I take the board form the DXe transmitter. All that I have seen is taken from the DXe4, 5and 6
Nov 10, 2017, 06:50 PM
There is no RF module in the DXe. One CPU runs the entire radio.

Andy
Nov 10, 2017, 08:18 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland99
Thanks for the input guys. I have been studying the qx7 with the orange DSMX module. Most reviews are positive. So I may go this route. Just curious will the spektrum hack work with the qx7 if I take the board form the DXe transmitter. All that I have seen is taken from the DXe4, 5and 6
The hack module requires a DX4e, DX5e or DX6I RF module as a donor.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:46 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland99
I'm looking to upgrade my radio to 8 channel.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-4-in-1-module
Nov 11, 2017, 10:41 AM
Sticks
Understood thanks all for the help!