Well this sucks - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 03:19 PM
Discussion

Well this sucks

I found out today that the last hobby shop within a 30 minute drive is closing down December 31st. The Hobby Barn in Wilson NC is going to close its doors. In case anyone is close they are currently running 25% off what's in the store and will stil special order stuff until the end of November. I spent the better part of today up there talking about old times and spending money on stuff I needed. If your close swing by and give them a shout.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 03:59 PM
Online retailing is killing everybody. Stores on Madison Ave in NYC empty !
Nov 07, 2017, 06:18 PM
Just Plane Nutts
I don't doubt it. With leases constantly going up and sales down, what else could be expected. My local hobby shops went away in the 1990s, and others within a 20 mile radius eventually followed.

All that is left are Hobby Lobby, (a mis-named arts & crafts business in my opinion), and Hobbytown, which has a little bit of everything in a small store but is a poor choice for real RC hobby needs. They mainly carry replacement parts for RTR and little for scratch builders.

I do have Aero Micro in next-door Sunnyvale which is a decent store, but are mainly plane/heli-oriented leaning towards the latter, and have zero boat-related stuff: http://stores.aeromicro.com/

Online sales is alI I have now. I have 15 boats, and nothing associated with them in my possession came from a Brick & Morter store, except maybe a triplet of 4mm bullet connectors and my DX6i transmitter I use for my heli's.
Nov 08, 2017, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
(deleted) My local hobby shops went away in the 1990s, and others within a 20 mile radius eventually followed. (deleted)
Haven't been there in a while but you should check out J&M Hobby House on Laurel St., in San Carlos.

They weren't heavily into boats but the used to stock some boat kits, and a few boat ARF's) (almost ready to run/sail?). The also had a rack of cast scale boat fittings when I was last there. Next time you go North check them out, it's an old school hobby shop.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:41 AM
Just Plane Nutts
J&M is about all that's left. Good store, but limited on boat stuff like you said. I hope they can make it for awhile longer.
Nov 08, 2017, 05:33 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNwolfeman
and spending money on stuff I needed. .
That is a relative term. I've bought stuff from closing up hobby shops that I've needed and that's been 10 years ago and it still sits. In good time it will get used.
Nov 08, 2017, 06:30 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Be sure to pick up either the Plastruct, or Evergreen plastic rack, and the K&S brass center displays.