Tuned pipe theory - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 03:08 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Discussion

Tuned pipe theory

I ran across this article, which gives a good understanding of the basics of the function of a tuned exhaust for a two stroke engine. Although it is written for motorcycle enthusiasts, it applies to model engines. Two strokes are two strokes.

We talk a lot about pipes here on this forum, but most of us lack the basic understanding of how and why they do what they do. This article gives a solid understanding of the principles involved.

https://thumpertalk.com/blogs/entry/...-system-works/

Robert
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 03:37 PM
That is a very nice synopsis.
I believe that the "Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook" by Gordon Jennings is still the 'Bible'.
Originals can be found on eBay (though pricey) and I think they may be back in print (check Barnes and Noble) or you can read it for free:
https://www.scootershack.co.uk/threa...-manual.25450/

PS. I got my copy back in the late '70s and was enlightened!
Nov 07, 2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the links fellas.

There is I believe a somewhat in depth thread on the subject that was started here around the time of the “RCU Migration” in 2012 if memory serves. It got quite technical. I should probably hunt the thread down.

David
Nov 07, 2017, 11:14 PM
Scott
David, it does get quite involved. When I set out to make my carbon fiber tuned pipes I did a considerable amount of research. When I realized just how involved the physics are I made a few and started testing. It soon became obvious that a separate design was needed for each engine. This is where compromise comes in.

Scott